[LINUX] Formatting Recommendations?
First off i know this isent a Linux forum specifically but i think the fact that it has to due with XBMC, HTPC and network sharing it might be appropriate.
Here is my situation:

Running a Acer Revo 1600 as my Media machine. It will have several drives attached via USB. The Revo is running Ubuntu on it however my drives are currently NTFS or FAT32, i want to reformat the drives in more of a native format, but also needs to support 4gb+ file size
What would the best format be?
Also i heva heard that with some minimal applications SOME Linux formats can be readable in OSX, this is not as important as all the storage will shared via SMBs

Thanks

Drew
NTFS is best if you want to take the drives to friends etc, if you are running linux at home and plan on not "moving" the drives, I would say ext4 or ext3 since it has better security etc plus is native for linux.
blittan Wrote:NTFS is best if you want to take the drives to friends etc, if you are running linux at home and plan on not "moving" the drives, I would say ext4 or ext3 since it has better security etc plus is native for linux.

Awesome thanks! Would you say there any benefits between the 2? and what the primary differences between ex4 and 3?

Drew

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Formatting Recommendations?0