Acer Revo 3610 - Any reason to keep the 320 GB drive ?
Hi,

I have ordered a Revo 3610 that I will use to play back movies stored on my Windows Home Server. I am thinking that as I am not storing any data on the Revo, there is no need really for the 320 GB hard drive and I might as well disconnect it and run XBMC off a USB memory to save some power and probably lower the noise level.

Just a sanity check what other people do and if I there is any reason to keep/use the drive that I may have missed ?

Regards

Niclas
well you could remove it and make it an external? As for noise levels I barley hear mine and I am running off of the hard drive.
edit: Forgot to mention I have a revo 3610.
Do you use library mode? If so USB much slower than HDD
Having problems getting your TV shows recognized?

Try my extra TV show matching REGEX here
Interesting, I am using XBMC Live now with a USB stick on a machine that doesnt fit very will in a living room just to try it out, and I havent noticed any performance issues when browsing the library. I have however had a couple of occasions when movies freeze (without buffering data, got wired Gigabit) which I haven't managed to narrow down and I have suspected it may have something to do with the USB stick and the possibility that data is cached/buffered on the stick.

Anyway, based on your comments I will probably start off with running off the HD to see if its any difference and if the noice etc is not an issue I'll keep it like that.

Thanks for your input

Niclas
Its amazing how large and how many files will be stored in the userdata dir if you start using library more heavily.

Mine is >3GB > 100,000 files

those kind of figures dont like USB sticks. With less YMMV
Having problems getting your TV shows recognized?

Try my extra TV show matching REGEX here

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Acer Revo 3610 - Any reason to keep the 320 GB drive ?0