Slow-motion and frame stepping (frame-by-frame forward/backward) features
i want this feature in xbmp o xbmc
hi
sorry if this had been already discussed but i couldn't find it in the faqs nore via the search function

is it possible to see parts of movies frame by frame?
this would be nice with sports stuff
for example when beeing in pause mode to proceed frame by frame

thanks in advance
f2dude
no, no such function has been implemented (or any other slowmotion either for that matter) moving to feature suggestions forums
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
ok and how does that work then?
couldn't figure it out sorry
is it possible with: xbmc-2004-02-12?
(f2dude @ feb. 29 2004,15:36 Wrote:ok and how does that work then?
couldn't figure it out sorry
is it possible with: xbmc-2004-02-12?
no, think you have missunderstood, there is no such function/feature in xbmc. if it does not exist then you can not do it
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
hi,
i was fiddling around with the ms dvd player and found that when the movie is paused, if you press fast forward it will play in slow motion (and if you press rewind it will reverse in slow motion), also if you press next chapter it will skip frame by frame (and if you press prev chapter it will do the same but in reverse).
would it be possible for this feature to be implemented into xbmc? it gives it so much more of a professional feel (plus it's pretty cool and usefull).

thanks
morien
i didn't see that this has been asked for in the past, and yes i did search, but i also follow the forums, and don't recall ever seeing it mentioned, but it sure seems like someone would have.

i would like to see a slow motion mode, maybe 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, and 1/32 speeds, or something like that, and beyond that a frame by frame mode.

so perhaps if you pause, you can press pause, or play to resume normal speed playback, but if you press << or >> you will go 1/2 speed << or >> again will go 1/4 speed << or >> again will go 1/8 speed etc. pressing |< or >| when paused will go back or forward one frame
i think the major problem here is the core we use, mplayer. it has no such support, when it does, xbmc have it also

ok, makes sense. not a big concern or feature i am dying for, just something i noticed was missing.

recently there was a problem that had to do with pausing and then resuming the video. the video would run slow and then fast while the audio and video got back in sync. this was fixed, but i just assumed xbmc could do slow-mo because of that, even though it wasn't intentional in this case.

as another thought on this, i know you can set the time you are watching in a movie using the #'s on the remote. what about (excuse my basic programming lingo here) a for/next loop that really just looks at the current time in a video and increments or decrments that time? it would just need to pause longer between the incrementing or decrmenting to go slower and slower. it seems that would serve the same function in the end. i had always thought this same method could be used as a good way to overcome the ff and rew issues we see now because of poor mplayer support for ff and rew.
hi,
not a biggie, but to me it seems to add some sophistication when media apps/devices have it.
(it being a frame step or slow motion)
notice how the xbox remote has a play and a pause button, but the pause will put it in play mode also (when the vid is paused).
could a frame step or slow motion (or both, step 1 frame, then another (manually) then the next press puts it in slow motion and the next one pauses it again) be implemented for the pause button?
thanks
morien

edit: thanks for editing the title. should make it easier to understand and attract more interest.
feature:
step through a movie frame by frame.

interface:
after a movie is paused, the step forward button will advance only one frame instead of its current behavior.
optionally the step back button will step backwards one frame.

reason:
in some movies and such i want to look at a particular frame for a notorious mistake or easter egg... likewise there are some things in action movies (like the matrix) that are only visible at very slow speed. currently to find a frame of interest i have to rapidly unpause and pause the movie to step forward... this is very error prone of course and i often have to step back 30 seconds and redo it.

an alternate issue would be to add slower than 1x video. i think frame advance is easier to implement and the interface i specified is intuitive and does not add any more key presses. who's on board with this?
is there a slow motion option to use with the videos yet?
i know this may be a dumb question, but how do you play a video in slow motion? i've looked through everything and tried every button and for the heck of me can't figure out how to do it.
i dont believe its implemented.
slow motion of frame by frame movement would be great. maybe it could be mapped to one of the thumbsticks.
you could pause the playback and then slightly push the thumbstick left or right to slowly move a frame at a time, the further you push the thumbstick the faster it goes.

*sigh*, probably a pipe dream Smile

thanks very much for a fantastic product

batfink

always a want, never a demand

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Slow-motion and frame stepping (frame-by-frame forward/backward) features1