• 6(current)
[WIP] XBMC + Spotify = True (an XBMC implementation that uses Spotify's official API)
I really wish this was applied as any other script/plugin to xbmc..
As it is now when replacing xbmc.bin and you are used to regularly update to latest svn of xbmc, it needs to modify the bin file, therefor its not working 100% with the latest changes.
calmdown Wrote:I really wish this was applied as any other script/plugin to xbmc..
As it is now when replacing xbmc.bin and you are used to regularly update to latest svn of xbmc, it needs to modify the bin file, therefor its not working 100% with the latest changes.

They actually released the source code, this is something they are also required to do Smile So its not such a big deal

Hopefully down the line it will go into the main branch ?
I can confirm that GazWest's guide works perfectly.

Thanks! Big Grin
Found a bug: try hitting play on a playlist.. 100% CPU. Music keeps playing though, but GUI is unresponsive.
When trying to view toplists, nothing shows up, is that a bug/error on my side/not implemented yet?
BouncinDave Wrote:I can confirm that GazWest's guide works perfectly.

Thanks! Big Grin

Thats great Dave! Glad my newfound linux "skills" could help someone, he he!

I've noticed that it sometimes crashes though. But after I turned off the openGL effects it seems to be OK.
Not 100% sure yet though, but as far as alpha releases go, this is a pretty good one!
gazwest Wrote:How to install SpotyXBMC on XBMClive 9.11 32bit.
Update: GMT+1 15:54: I've gotten time to properly test it, and it's an amazing plugin/app. No bugs encountered so far.

1. Boot your XBMC computer, and log on to it’s terminal. I used putty:
Login with your username and password, should be user: xbmc pass: xbmc

2. Start by downloading the archives you need:
Code:
sudo wget http://developer.spotify.com/download/libspotify/libspotify-0.0.3-linux6-i686.tar.gz
sudo wget http://cloud.github.com/downloads/akezeke/spotyxbmc/alpha009_ubuntu32.tar.gz

3. Unpack the archives:
tar zxvf libspotify-0.0.3-linux6-i686.tar.gz
tar zxvf alpha009_ubuntu32.tar.gz

4. Install libspotify:
cd libspotify-0.0.3-linux6-i686
sudo make install prefix=/usr/

When install is complete, type command “cd ..” and press enter.

5. Copy the Spotify logo to the correct folder:
sudo cp spotify_core_logo.png /usr/share/xbmc/media/

6. Create advancedsettings.xml:
sudo nano advancedsettings.xml

When the file editor opens, paste the following text (remember to change user/pass):

<advancedsettings>
<spotify>
<enable>true</enable>
<username>your user name</username>
<password>your password</password>
<cachefolder>~/.xbmc/spotifytemp/</cachefolder>
<maxsearchartists>30</maxsearchartists>
<maxsearchalbums>30</maxsearchalbums>
<maxsearchtracks>150</maxsearchtracks>
</spotify>
</advancedsettings>

Once you have pasted, press CTRL+O to write the changes, and then CTRL+X to close the file.

7. Copy the advancedsettings.xml file to the correct folder:
cp advancedsettings.xml /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/

8. Rename xbmc.bin from the alpha009 archive, and copy it to the right folder:
sudo mv xbmc.bin xbmcnew.bin
sudo cp xbmcnew.bin /usr/share/xbmc/

9. Rename original xbmc.bin to something else, so that we can use the new bin we just moved:
cd /usr/share/xbmc/

Type command “ls” just to check if old .bin and new .bin is there, it should look like this:
(Click for larger image)

If both files are there, proceed.

10. Rename the original xbmc.bin:
sudo mv xbmc.bin xbmcold.bin

11. Replace with modified bin from Alpha009 archive:
sudo mv xbmcnew.bin xbmc.bin
sudo chmod +x xbmc.bin

When that is done, you would want to reboot the machine.
sudo reboot

After the reboot, just go to music -> library. And select spotify.

NOTE: The "library" option did not show up on my computer. That's because I didn't have a music library. Added some albums to a share, set content - and voilà. I could select library and spotify from the music menu.

Hope this guide is useful to you! :-)

Thanks for the guide, however I have one issue

sudo wget http://cloud.github.com/downloads/akezek...u32.tar.gz

Result in:

--2010-02-01 00:31:04-- http://cloud.github.com/downloads/akezek...u32.tar.gz
Resolving cloud.github.com... 216.137.59.69, 216.137.59.26, 216.137.59.58, ...
Connecting to cloud.github.com|216.137.59.69|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 403 Forbidden
2010-02-01 00:31:04 ERROR 403: Forbidden.
Hi!

The downloads are down at the moment due to license problems. There will be a new version based on openspotify available later today or tomorrow!

/david
akezeke Wrote:Hi!

The downloads are down at the moment due to license problems. There will be a new version based on openspotify available later today or tomorrow!

/david

Thx kinda explained my 403 error :-)
akezeke Wrote:Hi!

/david

Allright! Looking forward to it. Will try to write a new newbie guide when the new version is out.

Although, I have some feedback for you.

CPU usage is at 100% as long as the spotify 'app' is open. If i select a song, and go back to the main XBMC menu, CPU usage drops to normal levels again (the song is still playing though.)

I go back to spotify and look for a new track - CPU usage goes up to 100% again. Are there any logs or anything else I can provide you with to help you look into this problem? As far as I know, this is a problem most users encounter when using SpotyXBMC.

BUT! I got to field-test SpotyXBMC this saturday. I had a party at home, and people used the app all night long. It worked without problems! :-)
No news from Akezeke?
gazwest Wrote:No news from Akezeke?

Compile it yourself if your desperate, the code is available, our give the developer some room to work.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
So is this available for Windows in any way (other than compiling code oneself)?

I'm crossing my fingers this makes it to the main build sometime, or at least becomes a supported plugin rather than having to hack it into the main product ourselves.

Looks fantastic - can't wait to give it a go.
Monthefish Wrote:You wont get it on windows as there isn't an API that lets you play music via 3rd party API yet.

Then how come Dave got it working on Windows, is this something he is working on? As you've probably already seen, this was posted on his site 2 weeks ago:

"A working build for Windows using the openspotify API is now completed. Also note that the possibility to play Spotify playlists is also implemented!"
If you go to the site of the guy who is developing the Api he is using libopenspotify only playback in Linux is currently supported which was added on the 22nd of jan....still no support for windows song playback ie hear the music playing
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WIP] XBMC + Spotify = True (an XBMC implementation that uses Spotify's official API)10