XBMC crashing on portable load
Yesterday XBMC froze on me so I closed the program down manually via task manager. When I tried to reboot the portable version via my start menu (since that's where all my settings are saved), it runs the following error:

XBMC has stopped working
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: XBMC.exe
Application Version: 9.11.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4b32ade0
Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7600.16385
Fault Module Timestamp: 4a5bdb3b
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000337ed
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 6837
Additional Information 2: 6837784b7536b658606d6fef7f47e6ab
Additional Information 3: 7fe3
Additional Information 4: 7fe3ad572aa9f765fc55d31d759f2a1a

What's odd is that when I open it as an administrator is works perfectly... It only runs this error when I try to open the program by clicking the icon in the start menu.

Any idea why?
Sounds like it's trying to write to Program Files and you don't have the rights to do so, and somewhere along the line a crash occurs.

Do you have permission to write to files in the XBMC directory when you're not an administrator?

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Your posting is a little vague, but if you installed in portable mode then the Start Menu shortcut target will be C:\..\XBMC.exe -p. The -p flag starts it in portable mode. If you start XBMC by double clicking XBMC.exe then because there's no -p flag it will start in default mode.

The point of all this is that the crash may have corrupted the database. I have seen a corrupted database cause crashes before. Starting in default mode will use a different database and therefore wouldn't be affected.

If it is the database then back up your userdata folder and delete it (or just delete the Database subfolder) and see if XBMC now starts.

JR
Jonathan: Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I only have one account on my computer and it's an administrator account. I went to the install folder for XBMC and changed the "local users" permissions to full access and that fixed the problem. I guess it didn't care that I'm always logged in as an administrator and still treated me as a local user.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC crashing on portable load0