ubuntu/ live/ and server
I just got an acer revo 3610 hooked up to 2 tb external drives and wanted to know if this was possible to run the below in different partitions on the revo HDD

XBMC Live
Ubuntu desktop
Ubuntu server

the box is going to mainly be used for xbmc however I want the desktop to be able to download files. The server would be used to show the files to other computers on the network to be able to stream music and videos. (does ubuntu desktop do this already)
Nvidia Shield with Kodi 18
You can only run one operating system at a time. Just use Ubuntu desktop and configure all of the sharing in that for the server portion. XBMC runs great on my Ubuntu 9.10 desktop install and I run the transmission web remote for torrents, have FTP set up for other machines to access it, and everything else I need.

Ubuntu server is completely useless for your needs.
paularms Wrote:You can only run one operating system at a time. Just use Ubuntu desktop and configure all of the sharing in that for the server portion. XBMC runs great on my Ubuntu 9.10 desktop install and I run the transmission web remote for torrents, have FTP set up for other machines to access it, and everything else I need.

Ubuntu server is completely useless for your needs.

thanks so scratch ubuntu server. thanks

I would like to have xbmc run on startup as this would be the main function of the box. is this possible using the desktop version?

I am looking at using this guide to install xbmc on [LINUX] XBMC Setup Script - Automatic installation of XBMC for Linux but it says to use the miminal Ubuntu for the install. Can I just use the new 9.10 and then install the script?

Also can the revo handle 64 bit? and whats the difference?

Thanks for the help.
I wouldn't use that script, as I like to know exactly what's going on so I can do everything myself and troubleshoot if needed.

I also wouldn't get minimal--it's just a stripped down version of the installer that's text-based-only and it downloads all of the packages that were stripped out when you're installing.

Don't use 64bit unless you have to. Most developers seem to ignore 64bit yet and don't really add enhancements to make it useful. Often times 64bit has many more bugs in it for the same reason. Just stick with x86 / 32bit.
You can have a full-blown Ubuntu running behind XBMC - no matter.

The minimal install is fo a htpc setup with no pc needs - just to make it boot and shutdown faster without starting a lot of services and loading unnecessary drivers for a small memory footprint. I have on my machine Ubuntu + NFS Server + VMWare Player with a virtual Windows on it + xbmc + SAMBA + a development environment + wine for windows apps etc. Works fine.

Just install what you need.

By the way - I am running x64 Ubuntu Karmic on Intel - no problems so far.
what about doing 2 partitions? one for the xbmc minimal installation and then another one for the desktop environment?

Also I want file sharing so if I was running xbmc on one partition could another user get into the folders/files on the other partition?
Sure. but do you really want to have 2 installations and reboot the system for each use case?

you can have as many partitions you want. But partitioning is not necessary. Ubuntu has rights management - so you can set up permissions for diferend folders easily. If you want to do some "Disk Quota" to prevent eating up your hd space by other users - partitioing is a good idea.

However in linux there are no drives like in windows - everything is usually mounted in the file system tree somewhere. So you can handle this by shares / mount points.

I would not install 2 differend systems for the reasons you mentioned. But there might be reasons for a multi - boot environment. e.g if you wanna play with 32 bit / 64 bit or other operating systems on the same hardware (like having Ubuntu, Kunbuntu, WinXP, Win7...) native on the same machine.

You can also use virtualization to achieve that and have in parallel running more OS with VMWare Player or so on the same machine at the same time. The sky is the limit (and of course the hardware you have)

By the way - a good Ubuntu set-up has at least 3 partitions : boot+root, /home for usser data and swap. I would recommend to have another one 4th for shared data.

The reason behind is easy. When you have to update / upgrade or fresh install your system your data remains untouched.
ok well I just found this thread HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Ubuntu, a Step-by-Step Guide

and it has an option to autostart with the below
Autostart XBMC (optional)

By following these instructions, your system will boot directly into XBMC rather than your desktop from now on. It is advised that you delay this step until XBMC is setup as you'd like it.

* From the desktop click System -> Administration -> Login Window
* From the "Security" tab choose "Enable Automatic Login" and select your username.
* Click "OK" to exit.
* Logout of your system.
* From the Login screen choose "Select Session"
* Choose "XBMC" and click "Change Session"

Hint- sudo apt-get install xbmc-standalone

so basically this would get me the full desktop and xbmc on autostart. I could then run the desktop in the background and do everything as I needed (like torrent DL) and file sharing etc..

question regarding the live usb method. If I do this method and put to boot usb first it will start xbmc first. How can I install skins to the usb and also when I run the scrapers wouldnt it make a large file of the metadata? I will run it on a 8gb usb drive. I have approx 525 movies.
You dont want to use a harddisk?

The Usb is your drive than. you can use it as a "hard disk". Installing skins is not differend to the normal operation.
cando Wrote:You dont want to use a harddisk?

The Usb is your drive than. you can use it as a "hard disk". Installing skins is not differend to the normal operation.

I read that usb is faster for bootup if I were to go that route iwth the live install instead of a custom install.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ubuntu/ live/ and server0