Install Locations (Databases etc)
Hey there,

Wondering if I did something wrong on installation, I was pretty sure I selected the option to not use C:\Documents And Settings, and keep all data in the Program Install directory.

I see a userdata directory in the Program Files/XBMC, but doesn't have the database or anything. Also seems it reads the skins from here.

I also have a userdata directory under Documents and Settings\Application Data\XBMC and this is where the database is.

So, did I mess up the install, or is this correct?

If I did mess it up, can I change it now as I would like everything in the Program Directory just for simplicity sakes.

Thanks!
You ran XBMC without the -p switch.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

What Jon means is that when you click on either "Standard" or "portable" on the installer, the ONLY thing that is different between these two is the shortcuts created in your Start Menu (and/or Desktop).

In case you have no idea how to do what he's talking about, its pretty easy:
-Open your Start Menu and navigate to the XBMC shortcut (the one that actually runs the program)
-Right-click on this shortcut and choose properties.
-You should see a text box that says "Target:" and probably something like "C:\Program Files\XBMC\xbmc.exe"
-Add a " -p" to that text (without the quotes)
--The above example would now read "C:\Program Files\XBMC\xbmc.exe" -p (I have put the text that will probably appear in your box in red to help clarify, since Windows usually will put quotes around paths that include spaces)

When you run XBMC with the -p "command line switch", it tells it to look at the local userdata folder located in the same folder as xbmc.exe, which seems to be exactly what you want to do.
Catchy Signature Here
Yeah, that was my mistake.

I didn't let the installer save a shortcut to my desk, and made one myself directly from the Program Directory.

The shortcut in my Start Menu is the portable.

So, I would always need to run it with -p, otherwise it will create two databases essentially? Depending on how I start it?

Assuming I can move the files out of Documents and Settings and into the Program Dir, and start with -p going forward?

Thanks guys.
yes, exactly. When you start it without the -p switch, its going to look at and use the userdata folder inside the "Local Settings" of your Windows user account. The files themselves are 100% interchangeable, the only thing different about them is their location.
Catchy Signature Here
Thanks again!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Install Locations (Databases etc)0