VDPAU support in XBMC - Help
Hi.

I have tried to enable VDPAU in xbmc on my Asrock ION 330 HT-BD. At first I managed this by doing the following, if my memory serves me correctly.

1. Installing ubuntu karmic from minimal cd, kernel 2.6.31-17.
2. Installing nvidia drivers from ppa:nvidia-vdpau/ppa.
3. Installing xbmc from ppa:team-xbmc/ppa.
4. Running nvidia-xconfig.
5. Choosing VDPAU as render method under System -> Video -> Playback.

This worked. However, LIRC couldn't load lirc_wb677 module under kernel 2.6.31-17. So I chose to reinstall. I got the remote to work under 2.6.31-14. But then VDPAU playback didn't seem to work, stuttering was immense. I then again did the 5 steps above, but this time, VDPAU didn't seem to work.

So tell me. Have I missed anything in the above list? It's all I can recall I did, but perhaps I missed something?

Thanks.
Reinstall the kernel module for vdpau if you have changed kernel.
Ah no, sadly I have done fresh installs between each try. So you agree that those 5 steps should be sufficient to provice VDPAU support in XBMC?

I tried playing the movie in mplayer, which said that my CPU was too slow(which it is), but also said that it could be a faulty audio driver.. I'm guessing this is not the case? Audio stutters aswell, but that's probably because the CPU is throttled?

/edit: Second question. Say I have 2.6.31-17 installed. How would I install 2.6.31-14 on top of that? Something as easy as "sudo apt-get install linux-kernel-2.6.31-14"?
pass - i dont use the ppa's for the nvidia driver. i use the nvidia installer as i have found it to be better / more reliable.
Which installer do you mean? Maybe I should just give up and try some live CD instead.. But I guess being stubborn is one of my vices..
Nvidia 190.53 for 32-bit Linux
Thanks! Now that's another question I have.. Should I go for 64 bit or 32 bit ubuntu/linux?

Is the 64 bit version as supported as the 32 bit one?
32bit
Again, thank you. One has to say you do provide concise information. Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VDPAU support in XBMC - Help0