• 2(current)
Linux HOW-TO playback Blu-ray Disc in XBMC for Linux with MakeMKV (Plugin Addon)
Hey guys,

Anyone have any ideas, the script is failing for me. It will launch and then fail almost immediately.

When I run makemkv and load up the disk from the desktop then click on stream it is loading up at http://localhost:51003 for all the blu-rays I have tested.
The weird thing is that if I reboot Gone in Sixty Seconds will play then if I try another disk it fails.

I am rebooting now and I am going to look at the Gi60s bd and see what it's address is after a clean boot.

OK, I booted up and checked the disk after a clean boot and sure enough the address is 51000 not 51003, so if I try and play the disk now it will stream then if I stop it and load another disk it will fail as the stream for the new disk is at 51003 it seems.

***EDIT*** So in trying to diagnose this, I loaded up MKV grabbed The Fifth Element, loaded up the disk, read it. loaded up xbmc switched to window mode loaded up firefox and the http play line. started the stream and watched, it actually starts to buffer the file for some reason and then to the point it crashes xbmc (kills it) and then just continually buffers for about 5 minutes straight but completely takes over the machine while it is doing so.

I am wondering if it is an issue with the blu-ray reader or not enough memory, The reader is only a 4 times. I am going to try that movie in my LG combo reader in my windows machine. Nope no luck that way either. it just crashes xbmc and continues buffering.

***EDIT*** Well I have tried about 15 Movies now and the only one I can get to work ON A CLEAN BOOT is Gone in 60 Seconds. All the others either go into a buffering state and basically freeze the system from other functions or run the script count to 100 and then the script closes. this is on an IONITX-F-E with 2GB Ram and the Liteon 4x blu reader.

I have googled for any issues surrounding this drive, firmware etc and i have found nothing, I think I will up the ram to 4 and try it out. If I run tops remotely while it is trying to buffer or play the stream it just pegs everything. ***EDIT***

Regards,

Dave
What's your CPU usage like while trying to playback? Maybe MakeMKV takes too much of the atoms power which prevents XBMC from working with it?

I'm running on a C2D 5200 myself and have not had problems.
magnetism Wrote:Ok, download this zip file with the packaged script:

http://www.bultsblog.com/BluRay-script.zip
  • Unzip the contents to your script dir
  • Load a blu ray
  • Browse to the script in XBMC and start it (BluRay)
  • Wait for it.... The script will
    - Kill any still running makemkvcon
    - start a new makemkvcon to stream disc:0
    - Wait for max 2 minutes for the stream to become available on HTTP
    - Run the title0 stream.
  • Hopefully, watch the movie.
Let me know if it works for you.

Maybe im missing something. In my case the script only says - Waiting for stream. I am using a Asrock 330 with built in BD-player.
Did you install makemkv? If so, which version do you have?
magnetism Wrote:Did you install makemkv? If so, which version do you have?

Wow... Im so stupid, i presumed that was included in the script...
Shank Wrote:Wow... Im so stupid, i presumed that was included in the script...

Nope....
@magnetism thanks for the great script after updating my system with some libraries everything (almost) works.

I've changed the command in the script so i'm able to play a iso file with
makemkvcon stream iso:”/home/xbmc/bluray/test/dve-bluray.iso”’, shell=True)

And after loading till 100% it starts playing but without sound. Even if I try to change the sound via the menu to the second audio channel i'm getting the error "failed to initialize...". After stopping the dvd sound is completely gone, if I check it via the prompt with "alsamixer" everything is turned on.

My xbmc.log says: 20:19:57 T:2506005360 M:968880128 DEBUG: ffmpeg[955E9B70]: [truehd] Lossless check failed – expected 4e, calculated fd.

I'm using the karmic 9.11 live release (installed on HD), using alsa 1.0.22.1 and both outputs (in the settings) in XBMC are HDMI enabled, ac3,dts boxes are ticked.

Oh btw my system is a asrock ion 330ht-bd with 2GB ram.

Any idea how to get the sound back so that i'm able to change audio channel?
Wingie Wrote:@magnetism thanks for the great script after updating my system with some libraries everything (almost) works.

And after loading till 100% it starts playing but without sound. Even if I try to change the sound via the menu to the second audio channel i'm getting the error "failed to initialize...". After stopping the dvd sound is completely gone, if I check it via the prompt with "alsamixer" everything is turned on.

My xbmc.log says: 20:19:57 T:2506005360 M:968880128 DEBUG: ffmpeg[955E9B70]: [truehd] Lossless check failed – expected 4e, calculated fd.

I'm using the karmic 9.11 live release (installed on HD), using alsa 1.0.22.1 and both outputs (in the settings) in XBMC are HDMI enabled, ac3,dts boxes are ticked.

Once playback starts it's out of the scripts hands. Playback is delegated to XBMC proper, so not sure what's going on but it looks like your setup has issues with the selected audio format. Maybe one of the core devs knows?

Did you select to downmix, if not could you try and see if that 'solves' the audio issue?
Wingie Wrote:@magnetism thanks for the great script after updating my system with some libraries everything (almost) works.

Having similar issues with Live install on HD.. No Playback. Fails after reading the Disc

Appreciate if anyone can help fix

thanks
magnetism Wrote:Once playback starts it's out of the scripts hands. Playback is delegated to XBMC proper, so not sure what's going on but it looks like your setup has issues with the selected audio format. Maybe one of the core devs knows?

Did you select to downmix, if not could you try and see if that 'solves' the audio issue?

Yep downmix is on. Is there no way to tell makemkv to start with another audiochannel?

I know truehd is not supported at the moment with XBMC but Bluray always contains a DTS /AC3 stream for backwards compatibility as far as I know.

The strange thing is that audio is completely shutdown after running a bluray iso and you have to restart your system.

Is there any DEV that can help us or knows what's happening? More logging can be supplied.

@magnetism, could you update the script so you can choose between bluray disk/iso file or bluray dir on disk. And another thing I was wondering how can I supply the path to an iso that's on a network share like my movies.

Local drive on PC => F:\Films\Movies\HD\Ratatouille (2007)
\\CORE2DUO\Films sharename
I'm working on browse functionality right now. Browsing is a simple xbmc browse of your video sources. As long as your iso or bluray dir is in there you can select it.
It's not really pretty right now, but at least it should work. Pretty can come after.
magnetism Wrote:I'm working on browse functionality right now. Browsing is a simple xbmc browse of your video sources. As long as your iso or bluray dir is in there you can select it.
It's not really pretty right now, but at least it should work. Pretty can come after.

Great to here this if you need beta testing i'm very willing to do this, I know some coding and know my way around on a linux system.
hey, great work on this script! is it possible to watch blu ray disc and select subtitles this way? or only the movie without subtitling?
glenner05 Wrote:hey, great work on this script! is it possible to watch blu ray disc and select subtitles this way? or only the movie without subtitling?

All subtitles and audiostreams should be selectable. They're not conveniently named though, so it is a bit of trial and error at the moment. Hopefully that will improve with never MakeMKV versions
magnetism Wrote:I'm working on browse functionality right now. Browsing is a simple xbmc browse of your video sources. As long as your iso or bluray dir is in there you can select it.

Ok, I've run into a big of a problem on linux. I've been building this on windows and it actually works pretty well now. However my main setup is on linux. Problem: On windows the SMB shares are simply mapped to a drive and thus recognized and MakeMKV has no problems. In linux the SMB shares are accessed using SBM:// url style connections which are meaningless when passed to MakeMKV.
Anybody have any bright ideas? I guess I could try and smbmount everything into the regular mount structures but I'd really rather not do that.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO playback Blu-ray Disc in XBMC for Linux with MakeMKV (Plugin Addon)15