• 7(current)
Linux HOW-TO playback Blu-ray Disc in XBMC for Linux with MakeMKV (Plugin Addon)
I have installed your BluRay plugin via an option in the XCI script:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xci/.

My setup is:
-Ubuntu 9.10 32-bit minimum
-XBMC 9.11 (installed via xci.sh 1.08)
-Asrock ION 330 HT/BD
-NVIDIA 195 driver
-"MakeMKV BluRay Watch Script" version 0.3

First of all, this plugin rocks, nice work! Big Grin The only issue I had was that I needed to update ALSA on my system in order for sound to work properly.

The issue I am dealing with now is that the BluRay disc I am playing "The Informant" (rented from Blockbuster), is always displaying English subtitles. I see no way to disable them. Is this possible?

FYI - Teletext is disabled in XBMC.
Phew...finished going through this thread with a headache...(or did I get a headache from going through this thread?) Wink
Anyway, I'm new to this XBMC and especially Linux. I've installed XBMC Live onto my Acer REVO 3610 (got the idea from a Lifehacker article). So, from what I've read so far...this script you guys are using allows you to STREAM the source over the network, right?

Well, I'm looking into purchasing a Blu Ray player or drive. Leaning towards the drive because it gives me more options (have kids) and want to keep XBMC the center of my Home Theater experience. Cool

I use the ACER strictly for XBMC...and read a couple pages back that this script was preinstalled on the newest release of XBMC Live 9.11, so does that mean that I can buy a Blu Ray drive and plug it into my USB drive and play movies straight away (it's really what I want to do)? If not, will the next release have this capability?

I don't mind following some directions if anybody is willing to 'summarize' this thread and its instructions on getting a Blu Ray Drive to work on an Acer Revo with XBMC LIVE installed onto the HDD. Or should I just goto costco and buy myself a Blu Ray Player? Thanks!
I've been attempting to install MakeMKV from the XBMC Command line, using the following commands..

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install build-essential libc6-dev libssl-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libqt4-dev
wget [url]http://www.makemkv.com/download/makemkv_v1.5.4_beta_bin.tar.gz[/url]
wget [url]http://www.makemkv.com/download/makemkv_v1.5.4_beta_oss.tar.gz[/url]
tar -xvf makemkv_v1.5.4_beta_bin.tar.gz
tar -xvf makemkv_v1.5.4_beta_oss.tar.gz
cd makemkv_v1.5.4_beta_oss
sudo make -f makefile.linux
sudo make -f makefile.linux install
cd ..
cd makemkv_v1.5.4_beta_bin
sudo make -f makefile.linux

But when I execute the line..

Code:
sudo apt-get install build-essential libc6-dev libssl-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libqt4-dev

I get an error saying...

Code:
Package libqt4-dev is not available, but is referred to by another package….

And that's as far as I can get...

Anyone got any ideas why this is happenning, or how to solve the problemHuh

Thanks in advance!
Hi guys. Anyone here using the ASRock 330HT? I'm getting a pretty big load time from the point I hit "Play Disc" to the time the movie starts. Its taking approx a minute and fifteen seconds. Otherwise the plugin works great.

Can anyone else using this system provide details on your load time? Thanks.
After running the script and installining makemkvcon. I am consistently getting script failed messages from xbmc.
Any help would be good this is hopefully the first of a few machines with bluray that i am setting up so am trying to look down a simple set of steps.

vk3hft
vk3hft Wrote:After running the script and installining makemkvcon. I am consistently getting script failed messages from xbmc.
Any help would be good this is hopefully the first of a few machines with bluray that i am setting up so am trying to look down a simple set of steps.

vk3hft

Please post the portion of your xbmc log where you launch the bluray script. It will make the problem easier to identify if we can see the log.
@adave, i've got similar load times on a friend ion...

makemkv seems to look at all the mpls files to find out the biggest one.
Standard bluray players seems to play the index file then go through the road set up by the bluray designer so it seems faster (at least to show the first logos)

Perhaps makemkv need to maintain some cache so this scan don't have to be made each time. (but it's design as a ripper and once it's ripped no need to scan again...)

Perhaps also this scan should made be in background at disc insertion on xbmc and not redone each time we hit the play movie button...
Anyway this is really cool to be able to play blurays (even if we have to wait 1 minute before that), thanks for making this happen.
Thanks for the update tidalf. I started logging load times from the various bluray discs I rented thru netflix, and it looks like 1:15 is the longest load time I've gotten so far. Otherwise they're mostly all around 40-45 seconds. This is perfectly fine.

I agree 100% that this is an amazing plugin. I no longer have to rely on my PS3 as a separate device and can move it into another area of my house.
adave Wrote:Please post the portion of your xbmc log where you launch the bluray script. It will make the problem easier to identify if we can see the log.

Ok the machine is at home, a little new to log files what specific section would i be looking for.

I have tried Makemkvcon through command line and it launches but when i try to play the stream in mplayer that part does not work either. but I think that is just a port issue on my end.
Anybody using this with MakeMKV v1.5.4? It supposedly has support for newer discs (Avatar).
Found this on the MakeMKV linux forum. Might be cool to include in a future update to the plugin. If I had any coding knowledge at all I'd knock it out.

MakeMKV update script:
Quote: read -p 'makemkv version : ' version #ie 1.x.x
echo updating to : makemkv_v$version

wget http://www.makemkv.com/download/makemkv_v$version\_beta_bin.tar.gz -P /home/<user>/Download
wget http://www.makemkv.com/download/makemkv_v$version\_beta_oss.tar.gz -P /home/<user>/Download
tar -xvzf /home/<user>/Download/makemkv_v$version\_beta_bin.tar.gz -C /home/<user>/source/makemkv
tar -xvzf /home/<user>/Download/makemkv_v$version\_beta_oss.tar.gz -C /home/<user>/source/makemkv

cd /home/<user>/source/makemkv/makemkv_v$version\_beta_bin/
make -f makefile.linux

cd /home/<user>/source/makemkv/makemkv_v$version\_beta_oss/
make -f makefile.linux

I know it's the same as just updating myself, but I'm all for automation if possible.
Seems that Avatar still doesn't work with the new 1.5.5 release. I was reading on the makemkv forums about a svq file that needs to be pointed to by makemkv. How is that handled in our situation (Live Install)?
I noticed that the makemkvcon process keeps running well after I have closed down my blu ray iso.

Normally I wouldn't care much, but the process seems to keep consuming CPU cicles (and to lesser concern keep some memory). Is this is a known bug or a feature? ;-)

Code:
2655 ?        Sl   143:27  \_ /usr/share/xbmc/xbmc.bin
7782 ?        S      0:00      \_ /bin/sh -c "makemkvcon" stream iso:/mythtvdata/videoslocal/rvl-ihvd.iso
7783 ?        Sl    30:24          \_ makemkvcon stream iso:/mythtvdata/videoslocal/rvl-ihvd.iso

It remained there also after I removed it manually from the play list.
SiNJiN Wrote:Seems that Avatar still doesn't work with the new 1.5.5 release. I was reading on the makemkv forums about a svq file that needs to be pointed to by makemkv. How is that handled in our situation (Live Install)?

I had to exit xbmc, then start an x session. I loaded up the main makemkv program, and set folders for the svq and dump files. exited x then restarted xbmc. I did all of this remotely from my mac using x11vnc on my htpc and Chicken of the VNC on my mac.

Install x11vnc (sudo apt-get install x11vnc.) Ssh to HTPC via terminal in Mac (or your favorite SSH client.) Sudo stop xbmc-live. startx. Open another ssh connection and type x11vnc. Use Chicken of the VNC (or your favorite VNC client) to launch MakeMKV (right click, shells, bash, makemkv.) Click settings and set your aacs and BD+ keys directories. Download svq and keys files from appropriate sources. Close makemkv and quit X. Restart XBMC and you should be able to play Avatar now.
cowfodder Wrote:I had to exit xbmc, then start an x session. I loaded up the main makemkv program, and set folders for the svq and dump files. exited x then restarted xbmc. I did all of this remotely from my mac using x11vnc on my htpc and Chicken of the VNC on my mac.

Install x11vnc (sudo apt-get install x11vnc.) Ssh to HTPC via terminal in Mac (or your favorite SSH client.) Sudo stop xbmc-live. startx. Open another ssh connection and type x11vnc. Use Chicken of the VNC (or your favorite VNC client) to launch MakeMKV (right click, shells, bash, makemkv.) Click settings and set your aacs and BD+ keys directories. Download svq and keys files from appropriate sources. Close makemkv and quit X. Restart XBMC and you should be able to play Avatar now.

Thanks for the great tutorial! I use W7 but got through just fine except the key files. (By the way, when I typed startx and saw a desktop pop up, I was like Whoa! Shocked ) Where do I obtain the key file? I thought a key file wasn't needed for the beta versions? I looked up and saw some Keys...but don't know how to put it into a file. Do I just create a .txt file and past the key into that file? If so, what do I name it?

I'm assuming that that's why Avatar is still not working for me? I did manage to download the avatar.svq file and placed it into the SVQ directory that I created and pointed makemkv to under its settings/preferences.

The other thing is 'Whiteout'. I just got that disc and the first time it loaded it loaded the 'Making of' video instead of the main movie. I took it out and tried it again and it didn't play that time. Tried it a third time and it played the 'Making of' video again. So, maybe that is my problem with Avatar? Since the Avatar disc is the main movie only...but makemkv is looking for the smaller file to play? Huh

Don't have another BR disc to try (only own Avatar, and Whiteout is a rental).
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO playback Blu-ray Disc in XBMC for Linux with MakeMKV (Plugin Addon)15