HQ OpenGL HW (GPU) upscalers from Bobo1on1?
Just to confirm the alanwww update from post 11 above is working working perfectly on my ASRock Ion 330. I've tried a number of files and several hours of viewing with no issues. Decent SD content (movie DVDs) look quite a bit better - crappy xvid stuff still looks crappy but that's jsut the way it is!
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
Does this also work in combination with a Crystal HD card?
It should work, but I can't promise anything.
@bobo1on1

Any chance i can hope you that you can check the hq upscaling possibility with vdpau decoded SD videos ?

My dream setup for "auto" scaler option would be:

- if video card is feature set c compatible:
- SD vdpau decoded videos: hq vdpau upscaling
- SD non-vdpau videos: Lanczos 3 optimized hw upscaling
- HD videos: vdpau hq upscaling

- if video card is not feature set c compatible, but vdpau capable:
- SD vdpau decoded videos: Lanczos 3 optimized hq hw upscaling (vdpau as a decoder or even software decoder if vdpau for decoder is hard to code here)
- SD non-vdpau videos: Lanczos 3 optimized hw upscaling
- HD videos: vdpau upscaling

This would make nvidia 9x00 and IONs in par with G2x0 video cards.

Thanks for your great work,

cheers,

Alan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I just hope that for fast enough cards the best quality options are always made available. If lanczos3 is the best we can get, and we have the hardware for it, I'd love to use it even to upscale 720p to 1080p. Again, if no performance is lost, why not use the best.

At the beginning of this thread bobo1on1 mentioned taking away stuff... I just tried this on DX and it works perfectly. ATI 4890 here, with Windows 7.

Edit: http://archive2.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show...p?t=460922 fascinating reading. It's not so clear cut, apparently, that lanczos3 is better than lanczos2 or bicubic (when implemented properly). All the more reason to keep the options open.
This is a bit of a cross-post from http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=67538 which is a related thread.

In testing on my Asrock ION 330,
a) I had to turn on the sync audio to gpu option
b) Only bilinear, bicubic and nearest neighbour work without video lag and audio sync issues :-(
c) unoptimized Lanczos 3 drops way too many frames

I'll try overclocking, and check GPU is set to 512MB, but maybe the GPU is just underpowered for this.
You don't really need lanczos3, lanczos3 optimized looks pretty much the same and it's even slightly better because it rings a little less.
Yes, it does do a great job. But the audio is out of sync with the xvids I have tried so far. Bilinear doesn't have a problem.
Do you have dual channel memory in that machine?
I believe so. ddr2-800.
The GPU is integrated and has 512MB ram allocated.
Optical out to AV amp. HDMI to TV.
1080p/24 etc all play fine. Basic scaling options are fine. It's just these advanced settings.

After testing against a lot of files, with lanczos3 optimized, audio sync is stable and OK once you find the right offset. It is usually -.1s. It doesn't matter which audio sync option is chosen in the menu.
If you want to know if your pc can handle these scalers, disable vsync in xbmc, play a video (dvd is fine), set the scaler to which you want to use, pause the video, press 'o' and look at the fps.
If you get less than 60 fps I'd say your machine is too slow, I know the ions reach 100 fps (which is the artificial limit in xbmc) with lanczos3 optimized so your machine doesn't need to be very fast.

These scalers however should not cause a/v sync issues, unless your machine is too slow, but then xbmc will start dropping frames.
finite3 Wrote:I believe so. ddr2-800.
The GPU is integrated and has 512MB ram allocated.

It does not mean it is in dual channel configuration. This could be checked in Bios or the initial info screen after power up.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
I've turned off vsync (I had it on driver decides) - fps sits at 25fps, or 23.98, depending on file. My xbmc is set to 1920*1080*50Hz. But I do have match refresh rate turned on - with an xorg.conf set to use edid.
Dropped frames is always minimal (16 or below) - which only occurs at the very beginning of the file.

It's not dropping frames once started.. and the video isn't slow, and audio sync doesn't drift. It's just weird that with the higher scalers set, audio offset has to be set to -.1s for "normal" xvids.
This is new to Lancosz and above.. it's incorrect for the simpler scalers.
It's also 100% reproducible.
I'm on optical audio out.. maybe I'll try updating alsa (I only have the version that came with live RC.) I'm on nvidia 190.53 gfx drivers.

I don't think this indicates CPU or GPU slowness. It just seems to be a sync flaw.
Are you sure you paused the video during the test?
Ahem. No I didn't.
OK.
720p file = 99fps (nearest neighbour)
xvid1 = 43.65 fps (tvshow) (lancosz3 optimised)
xvid2 = 51.13 (dvdrip) ""
xvid3 = 37.51 (tvshow) ""

weird. I'm going to play around in bios - although i'm pretty much at the defaults.

Does anyone else have an asrock they can test with?
There's nothing in google about having to change GPU settings.
- Although I guess this is now bleeding edge. At least for xbmc.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HQ OpenGL HW (GPU) upscalers from Bobo1on1?0