Sound Problem through HDMI with Acer Revo 3600
Okay, i have a really annoying problem here. I have built an acer revo media center for my parents and got it all working hunky dorry at home on a sony 40" 5500W. I take it round expecting everything to work and guess what? it doesnt! lol

At the moment they have a sky HD Box through HDMI and sound works fine, they also have an HDX1000 media tank which i set up for them working fine through hdmi. I went to check all the settings in the HDX box and everything is set to Anolouge rather than digital...? but it works on the same hdmi cable and the same port i am trying with the revo.

What ever i do i cannot get any sound out of it! below is everything i have tried so far...

1./ have tried all 3 HDMI ports on there 42" JVC DV8 TV but nothing.
2./ Changed the Audiop settings from Dig to Ano and played around with numerous different configs
3./ Disabled the IEC958 option in alsamixer
4./ Tried the speaker-test (dont hear anything on the tv)
5./ Kicking it!!!

It is really weird as this works fine on my sony 5500W but not on this JVC DV8. I understand this may not be an xbmc specific problem but i would really appreciate anyones help if they have any ideas at all! why would skyhd and the HDX1000 work but not the revo which works on another tvHuh

Thanks in advance, Tom
Had similar problems with HDMI sound tried everything I could find on the forums and found the problem was with the HDMI setup on the TV. after setting my setup as I explain below, everything works. Only thing I have found is that I get problems if I switch my TV on before the revo has loaded XBMC. I find that if you unplug the HDMI from the revo when its loaded it suddenly kicks up with the sound...hope that kind of made sense. Anyway try these settings:

Set Xbmc audio settings to:

Audio output (digital) - Digital
Audio output device - hdmi
Passthrough output device - hdmi
Downmix multichannel audio to stereo - ON

Through out to console:

sudo alsamixer

unmute everything except mic

sudo alsactrl store

sudo nano /etc/asound.conf

replace whats in there with:

pcm.!default hdmi:NVidia

Reboot and hopeful all is well.
Thanks for the fast reply but unfortunetly no joy!!! Sad i tried everything you suggested but still not a blink of sound...

It seems that the TV is not accepting Digital signal at all. I just checked the settings on the HDX1000 and these are below

HDMI Audio: On
Surround Mode: Stereo
DTS Analog: (PCM)
AC3: (PCM)
AAC: (PCM)
WMA Pro: (PCM)

the xbmc settings of

Audio output (digital) - Digital
Audio output device - hdmi
Passthrough output device - hdmi
Downmix multichannel audio to stereo - ON

work on other tvs in the house ebut just not this one, i have tried to get analoge settings to work but nothing either.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sound Problem through HDMI with Acer Revo 36000