• 2(current)
[LINUX] HOW-TO achieve XBMC nirvana with an Acer Aspire Revo 1600 and Ubuntu
myrison Wrote:Agreed on doing it from the office... as far as those two services go, I just realized that at a gig, it's probably too big for Megaupload, so my advice there probably isn't very helpful. Let us know if you find something else. If you don't find a better option to putting it up as a torrent, I'll download it as well and keep it up and seeding for a while to see if anyone is interested.

+1

I just picked up a Revo 1600, and naturally XBMC is doing less than stellar out of the box. I am also fairly Linux stupid, so a prepack would be awesome. I will do whatever possible to assist with uploading / seeding. I have a very strong upload from my provider (I pay additional for "boost" service and do not have any data cap).

Please let me know what I can do to assist.
ARGHHH

Sorry for the delay. Lost the mother-***** image in an HD crash.

Rebuilding a fresh one this morning, and I'll post an image to S3 this afternoon
Here's a partimage dump with XBMC autostarted

http://publicdump.s3.amazonaws.com/Revo_...00.torrent

No pulseaudio / alsa with patch as referenced earlier / lirc for mce remotes / openssh with "xbmc" / "xbmc!" as a sudoer.

CHANGE that last one!!!

Do whatever else you'd like.

It's a torrent seeding from S3 so it should have ridiculous through put. But it's costing me about $.25 every time S3 is the only seed.

Be nice, seed please Wink
Thanks, downloading now, though "ridiculous throughput" appears to be .6 Mbps (point 6, not 6) on a 24 Mbps line. Oh well, sooner or later I'll have it as well and add another seed to the list.
------------------------------------------
Dharma Quick Setup Guide:
XBMC tips on the TechNazgul Blog
This is awesome. Thanks to both of you! Hopefully this will fix my issue with Ubuntu booting. I will keep this seeded for quite a while with a pretty decent UL.
Sorry if I look totally ignorant here but what exactly are you torrenting? I'm at work now so can't try to download till later to find out for myself. Is it just an image file? I'm currently running a XBMCFreak build off a SD card, is it possible to take what you're sharing and have it bootable off a SD card as well? I'm pretty intimidated by linux so I'd love to have a build with all the Revo tweaks already built in.
hmm, not sure it will boot off of SD.. it might.

What's being torrented is a "partimage" snapshot

http://www.partimage.org/Main_Page

I used unetbootin to create a live version of Ubuntu 9.04 and booted my revo from that.

It would really kick ass if someone could doc up a VERY quick walkthrough on how to use partimage to restore this image to a harddrive (I can but I've GOT to get some billing done today).

It's REALLY not that bad or scary.

Basically:
# Edit /etc/apt/sources.list to enable repositories
# apt-get update
# apt-get install partimage smbfs -y (smbfs if you're restoring this image from a networked location)
# fdisk to wipe out the partions that are on the drive now and create new linux partitions
# partimage to restore the torrented image to the partition created with fdisk

(Crap, yeah, I should do an ACTUAL screenshotted write up, but gotta do a LITTLE work first. Any takers?)

Edit
(Also, thanks to those seeding already!! I'm pulling a copy down to my office and seeding from there now to try to add to the throughput)
Ok, my copy is downloaded and uploading at 1 Mbps. (apparently my bandwidth outranks S3's?) Smile

Looks like there are 2 others downloading (evomac and at least one other). I don't plan on actually testing this as my current setup is working and I don't want to upset it, but for anyone who does start from this, please post back with your experience. If this image is helpful, I'll add the torrent link to my first posts for others to download.

Thanks.
Dharma Quick Setup Guide:
XBMC tips on the TechNazgul Blog
Much obliged sir. With a set of known hardware like this, I'm inclined to hope that a boot-and-go solution might help spread the XBMC/Revo gospel a little.

PS Go Mono! Get me silverlight / netflix on linux Smile
I've been seeding this for a little while now.

I was actually thinking this was a .iso. Now I think I might need to do a little research on how I can even make this thing bootable. We shall see.

It's also nice to see when I started downloading there was only 2 seeds, it's now up to 5. To thermite451 I think its safe to say you can drop your seed so you don't incur additional charges.
I'll get to it shortly Smile

I'm putting together some quick instructions.

If someone else knows how to go from partimage->iso->drive....

Chime in Smile
I am seeding too. Question - what size partition should this be restored to? I read the partimage intro doc which says if the size is larger than the partimage file then space may be lost.

Thanks for sharing this. Oh, BTW, I am assuming you have xorg.conf settings like Modelines that are specific for your TV. Is that correct?
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 19177 154039221 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 19178 19457 2249100 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 19178 19457 2249068+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Working on a writeup now.

I actually didn't have to hack up the xorg.conf, I let he nvidia software auto set it and had no complaints

(Also.. MINOR snag, apparently shutdown and reboot options aren't playing nicely. I will put a fix together)
I have no idea how to work with this file. Any help would be appreciated?
You can pm me and I'll catch you on IM if you have AIM or Gmail.

I'll walk you through it right quick
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO achieve XBMC nirvana with an Acer Aspire Revo 1600 and Ubuntu0