• 5(current)
[LINUX] HOW-TO achieve XBMC nirvana with an Acer Aspire Revo 1600 and Ubuntu
jonect Wrote:Looks like all my previous posts on this were lost in the outage. The interlacing issue that I have been dealing with and may be the same for you appears to just be lack of support for it. All my encoded/ripped media that is progressive format seems to work fine. I looked for ways to fix it but this post is pushing me in the direction of just adding a script to launch MythFrontend when I want to watch live/recorded 1080i broadcast.

Thanks for posting back Jonect. I continue to have issues with all manners of interlaced material as well, though fortunately I don't have a lot of it. (though what I do drives me crazy). I don't have any experience with the myth front end, but if you get it working and wouldn't mind posting back here to let me know, I will add reference to it (and also try it myself) Smile

Thanks!
------------------------------------------
Dharma Quick Setup Guide:
XBMC tips on the TechNazgul Blog
Your instructions say:
Quote:Remember that this requires you to boot using the Ubuntu 9.04 Live CD before applying the image. (the version is important! i.e. Don't use a 9.10 Live CD)

The link to implement the image has this in the first step:
Quote:Download the Ubuntu 9.10 Desktop ISO. The installer doesn't work with 9.04, but that doesn't matter because we're going to blow away our install later on in the process.

I guess this is the consistency issue with having multiple threads.

I applaud the authors for their time writing the posts..but I now have a headache..Oo
OK..here is what I did to restore the image to my Revo 1600.

1. USB Drive connected to the Revo that has the disk image on it from the first post.

2. USB Stick to use to put Parted Magic on it.

3. Booted from the USB Stick to partition the drive and restore the image i had stored on the other usb hard drive. (I used 2 usb devices above as my USB stick is only 1 GB)

Instruction that worked for me.

Downloaded Parted Magic from here and followed the instructions to put it on a usb stick. It was very simple on my windows machine to do this. Took < 5 minutes.

Put the USB stick in the Revo and boot to it (using F12 at the boot screen to select the USB stick to boot into, if needed)

I chose the 3rd option down to boot into a GUI interface.
Once in the GUI I opened a terminal window and followed the screenshots from the fist post (starting with screenshot #9) to fdisk the drive and partition it as required. The screen shots are step by step and work fine.

Once that is done, I clicked Start/System/Part Image to launch it.
I again continued to follow the screen shots from where I left off to restore the disk image.

When that was finished I rebooted the machine (removing the USB Stick from the Revo) and it booted into XBMC.

I hope this contributes to someone else having luck getting this installed.
Few more questions.

When FTPing to the XBMC box, what is the login and password that was set?

What is the root login when backing out into linux (CTRL+Alt+F3)

Is there a way to get into ubuntu. I read that the torrent was the same as your instructions and you had said you installed ubuntu first. How do I get to it?

Thanks!
another question..how do I mount the external usb drive?
it just boots into xbmc and doesn't see it.

do I need to ctrl-alt-f3 and mount it there? If so, what is the Login and Pasword for this installation?

(btw I figured out how to get back to xbmc from the shell.) ;0)
Th3R00st3r Wrote:Your instructions say:

The link to implement the image has this in the first step:

I guess this is the consistency issue with having multiple threads.

I applaud the authors for their time writing the posts..but I now have a headache..Oo

Well, unfortunately you have fallen victim to the lightning strike. This came up in the past and was corrected in previous posts, but since the strike, Thermite hasn't been back to update his instruction posts, both of which were revised at several points in the last month. Sad

I've used the 9.04 Live CD myself to restore this image, so I know it works. If you use the image from the OP straight over the stock Windows install, you have to repair Grub when done, which is explained a few posts up. If you already have a working version of Linux on the Acer, then Grub should work fine after the image is applied without extra work.

Finally, here is a quote from an earlier (now lost) post from someone else who used 9.04 & the image successfully. I happened to have this in the trash folder on my e-mail from an earlier e-mail update. Hopefully it's helpful for anyone else needing to do this.

Quote:Posted by: acer140
On: 2010-03-04 15:47

Recently purchased my first Revo 1600. While waiting on my revo, remotes, etc. to arrive in the mail I scoured these forums to determine the best XBMC/LINUX setup would be. I stumbled on this post and the partimage HDD image. I figured using the image would be the quickest and most efficient method of hooking my revo up (vs. all the little tweeks and configurations everyone else had already done)...

I finally got the image to work after a little trial and error(I will explain my issues below). My "stock" (no additional RAM) Revo 1600 worked perfectly!

Success:
-1080p video (only over wired LAN--my wireless bridge setup wouldn't work--kept buffering)

-HDMI audio

-MCE Remote worked without any config changes (mine did at least, sure there are some out there that WOULD require some changes)

-Turtle Beach audio adapter! (the one piece I thought for sure would require some tweeking DIDN'T!!) I required this adapter because I have an older receiver (need to upgrade) that only has optical inputs. This adapter works great, all you need to change is some of the audio output settings in XBMC... I am receiving DTS and DD perfectly!

Problems:
-NONE with the image/XBMC setup so far!

-I do not have any 1080i stuff, so I have not yet experienced any of the interlace issues others are talking about (yet). All my HD videos are 720p or 1080p mostly.

Install Issues (figured this may help some people):

I am a LINUX noob! this was my first time using LINUX in a capacity other than.... "pop in a live cd"... "hmmm, thats kinda cool"... "don't really need this".... "back to windows"...
So, my experience level is really low when it comes to LINUX. First off I created a unetbootin USB ubuntu 9.10 liveCD. I followed the guide for the employing the image found in this thread, but it didn't work! It took me a few days to realize/find that 9.10 and 9.04 have different versions of grub, so when I restored the image, it was there, but it wouldn't boot... since I really didn't know how to "repair" grub easily I re-created my USB drive with a 9.04 distro and re-applied the steps to restore the partimage image. Eureka! it worked great after that!

So long story short... use 9.04 live CD (not 9.10) if you plan to restore this Revo_1600_XBMC.000 image.
Th3R00st3r Wrote:Few more questions.

When FTPing to the XBMC box, what is the login and password that was set?

What is the root login when backing out into linux (CTRL+Alt+F3)

Is there a way to get into ubuntu. I read that the torrent was the same as your instructions and you had said you installed ubuntu first. How do I get to it?

Thanks!

More fun due to lightning, sorry. The OP is again updated with those missing details on the username & pass. (username=xbmc, pass=xbmc!)

To get into Ubuntu, exit from XBMC (using 's' and then exit xbmc). Once to the command prompt, typing 'sudo service gdm start' (edit: corrected) should fire up the normal Ubuntu desktop. (This will work better if you actually quit xbmc as opposed to using the keyboard shortcut)
Th3R00st3r Wrote:another question..how do I mount the external usb drive?
it just boots into xbmc and doesn't see it.

do I need to ctrl-alt-f3 and mount it there? If so, what is the Login and Pasword for this installation?

(btw I figured out how to get back to xbmc from the shell.) ;0)

Here are more instructions that were lost to the lightning related to USB drives.
Quote:Posted by: thermite451
On: 2010-03-06 14:53

I followed this guide (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=38473) to get auto starting because I wasn't looking for the full gdm

With regard to the automount, you raise a fair point.

I'm wondering if gnome-mount can be started without the gdm...

Nope

The magic word for the day is "apt-get install usbmount -y"

Will test on 9.04 tomorrow (my main box is an 8.04 lts server that also runs xbmc, nginx, apache2, mysql, python, possibly does laundry Wink )

(Edit again)

Works like a charm on 9.04

I edited /etc/usbmount/usbmount.conf
To add "ntfs ntfs-3g" to the "FILESYSTEMS=" line

Because all my external stuff runs on NTFS.

But that'll roll up the automounting with a smile

Deck - if you have (of if you can) test this yourself and confirm this fixes the problem, would you please add the relevant directions to your instructions post as I believe lots of people will have this issue. I would just include these in the OP myself but I'm more or less out of space there due to the limitations on each post size... annoying.

Thanks.
So, just to avoid more annoyances with things that were changed and lost, I might as well ask, does anyone by chance have a copy of the original two posts as they existed ~1 week ago (or really, anytime more current than ~5 weeks ago), which is the date to which XBMC reverted everything here after the lightning strike?

If so, please PM me a copy and I'll try to recreate the first two posts.

Thanks.
Thanks for the info. Too bad About those posts that were lost. You keep apologizing like you caused the lightning..haha ZUES! I will try the above when I get back home and post the results.
What about google cache..could u fnd the old post in their cache link? Or maybe thewaybackmachine?

@@edit.
No dice on either google cache or the way back machine. Bummer.
Quote:To get into Ubuntu, exit from XBMC (using 's' and then exit xbmc). Once to the command prompt, typing 'sudo service start gdm' should fire up the normal Ubuntu desktop.

When i run the command, i get an unrecognized service message

nevermind, it should have been "sudo service gdm start"
I am a little hungover...
Thank you for all your help on getting this running. It would have been a bit easier, I imagine, if the lightning wouldn't have hit and the posts from the last few weeks were there, but you helped me through it. This is awesome.

After restoring the ubuntu\xbmc image from the torrent, running a few commands to automount my external usb drive (by following instructions here), I was able to add the external drive as a source and import my movies into xbmc and they all(480,720,1080) seem to play wonderfully. Talk about a crash course in linux!!

The next step is to get my logitech harmony remote working (I have seen a few posts on how to do this using lirc) with the revo.

Since I don't have HDMI on my receiver, and my TV optical out doesn't pass through the HDMI audio, I will be replacing my HDMI switch with a new one from monoprice that has optical out that will send the digital audio from the HDMI source... it's just out of stock till the end of next month Sad
The last part I have to do is get my Harmony 520\USBUIRT working with LIRC using the xbmc torrent image.

It has had me stumped for the last 4 hrs after reading posts after posts, and who knows if what I am reading through is old news since the lightning strike wiped the newer posts...

Latest LIRC is installed.

hardware.conf

Code:
#Chosen Remote Control
LIRCD_ARGS="-d /dev/ttyUSB0 -H usb_uirt_raw"
START_LIRCMD=false
REMOTE="USB-UIRT"
REMOTE_MODULES=""
REMOTE_DRIVER="usb_uirt_raw"
REMOTE_DEVICE=""
#REMOTE_LIRCD_CONF="mceusb/lircd.conf.mceusb" #commented out to use default /etc/lirc/lircd.conf
LIRCD_CONF=""
LIRCMD_CONF=""

lircd.conf (I have the harmony remote using the PVR\KLS\VDR codes per another post...)
Code:
name  harmony_kls_vdr
  bits           13
  flags RC5|CONST_LENGTH
  eps            30
  aeps          100

one           922   858
  zero          922   858
  plead         937
  gap          116048
  min_repeat      2
  toggle_bit      2

begin codes
          mute                     0x1780
          vol+                     0x1001
          vol-                     0x1002
          ch-                      0x1003
          ch+                      0x1004
          prev                     0x1005
          up                       0x1006
          down                     0x1007
          left                     0x1008
          right                    0x1009
          ok                       0x100A
          menu                     0x100B
          exit                     0x100C
          guide                    0x100D
          info                     0x100E
          stop                     0x100F
          replay                   0x1010
          skip                     0x1011
          play                     0x1012
          rec                      0x1013
          rew                      0x1014
          fwd                      0x1015
          pause                    0x1016
          1                        0x1017
          2                        0x1018
          3                        0x1019
          4                        0x101A
          5                        0x101B
          6                        0x101C
          7                        0x101D
          8                        0x101E

irw is not getting the codes from the remote. I run irw and press some buttons, the light in the usbuirt blinks, but nothing happens in irw.

Mode 2 works by running
Quote: sudo mode2 -d /dev/ttyUSB0 -H usb_uirt_raw
Giving these results
mode2: uirt2_raw: checksum error
mode2: uirt2_raw: UIRT version 0905 ok
space 309700
pulse 950
space 800
pulse 1750
space 1650
pulse 950
space 750
pulse 900
space 800
pulse 1800
space 750

irrecord works by running
Quote: sudo irrecord -d /dev/ttyUSB0 -H usb_uirt_raw
but I don't know where it's putting a config file!

irw doesn't pick up the codes which leaves me to believe it's my lircd.conf or hardware.conf files.
Anyone have USBUIRT working with a Harmony Remote that I could use their .conf files as a template?
Th3R00st3r Wrote:Thanks for the info. Too bad About those posts that were lost. You keep apologizing like you caused the lightning..haha ZUES! I will try the above when I get back home and post the results.
What about google cache..could u fnd the old post in their cache link? Or maybe thewaybackmachine?

@@edit.
No dice on either google cache or the way back machine. Bummer.

Thanks for the ideas, I tried those too! I actually have most of the individual posts in my deleted mail from the daily summaries that are e-mailed to me, but the changes to the first post aren't sent out that way. Oh well, better than a complete loss I guess.
Th3R00st3r Wrote:The last part I have to do is get my Harmony 520\USBUIRT working with LIRC using the xbmc torrent image.

It has had me stumped for the last 4 hrs after reading posts after posts, and who knows if what I am reading through is old news since the lightning strike wiped the newer posts...

<snip>
Anyone have USBUIRT working with a Harmony Remote that I could use their .conf files as a template?

This is actually the first time this has come up so I can't blame the lightning on this one. I used a use Microsoft Media Center Edition remote & USB dongle and they worked without a hitch. You're probably better off posting a specific thread about that one to see if someone else with either the USB device or the Harmony can help.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO achieve XBMC nirvana with an Acer Aspire Revo 1600 and Ubuntu0