• 3(current)
[LINUX] HOW-TO achieve XBMC nirvana with an Acer Aspire Revo 1600 and Ubuntu
thermite451 Wrote:You can pm me and I'll catch you on IM if you have AIM or Gmail.

I'll walk you through it right quick

PM sent. Thanks.
I am currently downloading/seeding the torrent and hoping to transfer it to a 8Gb USB flash drive. Prior to this install, I was using FREAK edition XBMC LIVE 8 and everything works fine aside from AAC 6.1 audio so I am hoping this fixes the problem. The voices do not come through whatever settings I try.

As per the original poster, I am also setting up my Revo 1600 to a receiver (Onkyo 606) and an Espson 8100Hd projector so hopefully the xbmc system will be tweaked as needed.

My question is how to transfer this partimage to the USB using either Win 7 or OSX.
Any help with be appreciated !
Thermite,

I tried restoring the image but hit a snag. Your partition is too big! The only way to install your partition is to exactly match your partition table which means deleting existing setup. I have the XBMX Freak version installed and it works pretty well except for jitter in a few of my Planet Earth rips.

Any chance you can modify the partimage to just have a 10 GB partition? Easy way to do would be to resize your sda1 partition losslessly to 10 GB and recreate the partimage....Anyway, I know I am asking too much since you have already done a lot.
You ask a valid question and I'll try to give you a sane-ish response.

1) I'll look into trimming it down
2) If you're a linux / vm guy: Restore it to a vm hard drive, resize it, re-export it

(Which is roughly what I'm going to do later)

other than that, cheers

Also, I walked another member through the restoration process last night with good effect. I'm going to try to codify the IM notes from that into a walkthrough (if anyone knows how to automate fdisk... that'd be awesome)
I was the one who was helped with the installation, however I have not had a chance to play around with it yet. I will let you guys know how it goes later.
Thermite,

Thanks for recommendation. I am pretty comfortable with linux but I am not too familiar with vm HDs. Could you provide a link?

Someday I will write a book on all of this - oh what fun....And, I do get amused when people write they wanna bang the htpc against a wall..I can empathize...
UPDATE: The build that is being posted is PERFECT! There is not even the slightest jittering, and underneath XBMC is a fully functional Ubuntu client.

This build will stream any 1080p content you throw at it with no problems at all on the 1600.... heck this should be required by anyone who has a 1600.

TYVM Thermite for all your help. I will be seeding this build for a long time to share it to all in need.
evomac Wrote:UPDATE: The build that is being posted is PERFECT! There is not even the slightest jittering, and underneath XBMC is a fully functional Ubuntu client.

This build will stream any 1080p content you throw at it with no problems at all on the 1600.... heck this should be required by anyone who has a 1600.

TYVM Thermite for all your help. I will be seeding this build for a long time to share it to all in need.

Mind giving a run down of how to install it using either win7 or osx ? Preferably to a USB flash.
Gmac, it won't work to another OS as this is a system image of the entire machine. (i.e. it blows away anything on the disk and drops in a fully functional Ubuntu/XBMC install).

Evomac - awesome that it worked for you! Big Grin
------------------------------------------
Dharma Quick Setup Guide:
XBMC tips on the TechNazgul Blog
Anyone have a quick writeup on how to do this?
Yep, some kind of guide would be great. I'm just downloading this now (thanks seeders!) and any kind of help would be appreciated.

Right now I have Karmic Koala installed, will I still be able to use this?

Thanks all!
Hi Juice,

I think the best instructions we have at this point are from this post. Basically, you're going to have to create a new partition to which you install this image by following the instructions in the linked post. I haven't done it myself as my setup works and I'm not looking to do another one, so Evomac or one of the others how used the image will hopefully respond back here.
I am really trying to get my revo to work. I have high hopes for this partimage to solve my issues.

This is what I have as steps needed to burn the partimage. Perhaps I could ask you all to look at it and comment on the parts that I have questions on?

Create bootable usb drive with unetbootin and ubuntu 9.04 live.

?Copy partimage file to usb drive?

Boot revo from usb drive with Ubunto 9.04. Dont install on to revo, just boot from usb.

As thermite451 says in this post: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=501...stcount=22
Edit /etc/apt/sources.list to enable repositories
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install partimage smbfs -y
use fdisk to wipe the revos hard drive and create 3 new partitions (not too sure how to do this see below):
(from post 28, http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=501...stcount=28)
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 19177 154039221 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 19178 19457 2249100 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 19178 19457 2249068+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

sudo partimage, follow on-screen instructions to restore partimage file.

Questions:
If the partimage file is not on the usb drive, then I have to mount a network share somewhere and install from there?

fdisk commands?:

sudo fdisk /dev/sda

fdisk prompt> d 1
n to create a new partition
p to make it primary
1 so it is the first primary partition
not sure what other commands to use at this point or how to define the start and end....

fdisk prompt> d 2
e to make it an extended partition
not sure what other commands to use at this point or how to define the start and end ....

fdisk prompt> d 5 ??
not sure what other commands to use at this point or how to define the start and end ....

fdisk prompt> w
write table to disk and exit

format the partitions:
sudo mkfs -t ext3 /dev/sdb1
sudo mkfs -t ext3 /dev/sdb2
sudo mkfs -t ext3 /dev/sdb5

I assume the drive needs to be mounted at this point??

Thanks all!
Wow, what a mess this lightning strike has caused... lots of updates to this thread were lost and I unfortunately cannot remember them all. If anyone has questions that weren't answered, please repost them and we'll try to start over. Sad
How well does Hulu work on this device running linux? That's the one unknown preventing me from purchasing one of these neat little boxes.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO achieve XBMC nirvana with an Acer Aspire Revo 1600 and Ubuntu0