XBMC Addon/Script/Plugin Developer wanted for paid work on an IPTV (VOD/EPG) project
Information 
We are looking for a developer for XBMC plugin for an existing IPTV project. We provide all APIs and an already running version of plugin in Windows Media Center. Willing to negotiate payment for plugin development. Please contact me at info at bestrussiantv.com
a little more detail on what you want may be needed to see what possibility we have.
Thanks for modifying the topic and making it bold. Appreciate it.
We currently stream ethnic channels in Canada over IP and have multiple solutions for it: Set Top Box, Team Media Portal, Windows Media Center. We want to replicate current functionality into XBMC because our clients are asking for it. We stream channels both live and time-shifted (from Europe), archives of all channels for 2 weeks, VOD. Stream format is wmv at 800-1,500 kb/s.

Plugin should display cyrillic characters in TV Guide, be able to browse through tv guide and VOD. Below are screen shots of a similar MC plugin:

TV Guide

Archives

VOD

Will be glad to answer any other questions.
I believe XBMC has PVR branch which could be used to generate this instead of a plugin.
The normal XBMC log IS NOT a debug log, to enable debug logging you must toggle it on under XBMC Settings - System or in advancedsettings.xml. Use XBMC Debug Log Addon to retrieve it.
would be a good stuff, client registering / authentificating is not necessary in python code? i assume it must be an ip filter on server side? doesn't need to install something on client side?

seems an API is available, python coding part won't be a problem, but this kind of screen would required a good skinner for display!

i've seen some developpement for tv guide in mythtv plugin, all seems to be possible.
APIs are available for all the functionality. An already working prototype is available for Media Center and Team Media Portal. The only thing is, I am not sure what's available in XBMC to re-use in order to get the same functionality as in WMC.
well we could say more if we had some english screen, would help to see what kind of stuff is available, for now this seems to be possible, what functionnality are your looking for?
Hi tvman, as the others have pointed out, as long as XBMC can get direct access to the video stream (i.e. it's not wrapped up in some DRM, requiring something like silverlight) then that should be doable.

There's really four options for what you have there in the screenshots:

1. Implement it via the PVR branch. This is currently developed in a separate branch and may or may not be applicable. It's likely to be merged into trunk in the next 6 months or so, so getting it in official builds is a while off. That said, depending on how your EPG is generated this may be the best way to move forward. This will require someone with c/c++ coding ability at least.

2. Implement it via a script. This will require quite a bit of work to implement the EPG and the like as per your screenshots. For initial functionality this may not be required, however. Requires python + skinning skills.

3. Implement it via a plugin. This is a simple "directory listing" interface for XBMC - users click on the plugin and are given a list of "directories" which in this case could be the channels or perhaps a "what's on now" listing. It wouldn't look like your screenshots, but I suspect would be the fastest way to get something up and running, allowing access for your users to your content. Requires only python skills.

4. Implement it via an RSS feed server-side. This is again a simple "directory listing" interface for XBMC as per 3. The difference here is you generate RSS feeds on your server that the user connects to. These are plain http urls, any directories use rss://<url>. Not sure how the authentication side of things would go. You'd just require someone to code up the rss stuff in this case. I'm not sure how well XBMC handles "feeds of feeds" (i.e. subdirs in feeds) but this is something that the XBMC team can take care of - if there are feeds demanding the feature, we'll add it.

Ofcourse, there's no reason why you can't start with number 3 or 4 and move to number 1 longer term.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:1. Implement it via the PVR branch. This is currently developed in a separate branch and may or may not be applicable. It's likely to be merged into trunk in the next 6 months or so, so getting it in official builds is a while off. That said, depending on how your EPG is generated this may be the best way to move forward. This will require someone with c/c++ coding ability at least.

Isn't their a plan to standarize API call so we don't need to add anything to XBMC internally ?

Wow so much options to choose from SmileSmile
The normal XBMC log IS NOT a debug log, to enable debug logging you must toggle it on under XBMC Settings - System or in advancedsettings.xml. Use XBMC Debug Log Addon to retrieve it.
ppic Wrote:well we could say more if we had some english screen, would help to see what kind of stuff is available, for now this seems to be possible, what functionnality are your looking for?

I am looking into:

1) Show a tv guide with an ability to click on the channel and start watching
2) Show a list of channels, under it a list of dates and then a list of programs in order to select a program from archived nPVR
3) Show a list of movies, based on categories and subcategories
4) Ability to enter/modify client's login/pass, choose time zone (we stream in Live, EST, PST)

Again, we have a working prototype that we can provide. Although contents is not in English, we will fully explain what and how to do it.
jmarshall Wrote:Hi tvman, as the others have pointed out, as long as XBMC can get direct access to the video stream (i.e. it's not wrapped up in some DRM, requiring something like silverlight) then that should be doable.

There's really four options for what you have there in the screenshots:

1. Implement it via the PVR branch. This is currently developed in a separate branch and may or may not be applicable. It's likely to be merged into trunk in the next 6 months or so, so getting it in official builds is a while off. That said, depending on how your EPG is generated this may be the best way to move forward. This will require someone with c/c++ coding ability at least.

2. Implement it via a script. This will require quite a bit of work to implement the EPG and the like as per your screenshots. For initial functionality this may not be required, however. Requires python + skinning skills.

3. Implement it via a plugin. This is a simple "directory listing" interface for XBMC - users click on the plugin and are given a list of "directories" which in this case could be the channels or perhaps a "what's on now" listing. It wouldn't look like your screenshots, but I suspect would be the fastest way to get something up and running, allowing access for your users to your content. Requires only python skills.

4. Implement it via an RSS feed server-side. This is again a simple "directory listing" interface for XBMC as per 3. The difference here is you generate RSS feeds on your server that the user connects to. These are plain http urls, any directories use rss://<url>. Not sure how the authentication side of things would go. You'd just require someone to code up the rss stuff in this case. I'm not sure how well XBMC handles "feeds of feeds" (i.e. subdirs in feeds) but this is something that the XBMC team can take care of - if there are feeds demanding the feature, we'll add it.

Ofcourse, there's no reason why you can't start with number 3 or 4 and move to number 1 longer term.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Thanks for info. We have all the tv guide info in XML format, not a problem here. All info is accessible via APIs (web services) that will call for tv guide, vod catalog, client authentication etc.

Also, Jonathan, could you please specify what's a PVR branch?
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=GSoC_-_Unified_PVR_Frontend
Is there any way to get in touch with people who develop for PVR?
Would you guys be interested in taking on this project?
interested, yes, but i'm not full of time for now.
Guys, we are ready to pay money for this plugin, if you are interested, please get back to me and we will discuss the details.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Addon/Script/Plugin Developer wanted for paid work on an IPTV (VOD/EPG) project0