[LIVE] XBMC upgrade problem after reboot?
Hi,
I just installed the XBMC Live CD that was compiled back in December 24, 2009. I immediatley updated, upgraded afterwards. after reboot, I recieve this little window that i can barely read but part of it says "xbmc needs accelerated opengl....."? this is what I did after installing the live cd

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install xbmc
sudo reboot

this is when i see the little window and XBMC won't load up any longer.

Can You please tell me what I am doing wrong?
Sounds like the kernel was updated, but for some reason not your graphics drivers.

How you fix it depends on what card you have.
JumJum Wrote:Sounds like the kernel was updated, but for some reason not your graphics drivers.

How you fix it depends on what card you have.

Thanks for the reply....I guess updating alone does not update the drivers?

I checked and I have the Nvidia 190.53 drivers that came with the live cd.

In regards to the graphics card, I have the Acer Revo 1600...

Am I missing a step after installing the updated XBMC?
should I also
sudo apt-get nvidia drivers?
Can't remember which package name live uses for the nvidia drivers.

If you're lucky this will work:
Code:
sudo dkms build -m nvidia -v 190.53

If not, I'm sure someone will reply with the correct line.
JumJum Wrote:Can't remember which package name live uses for the nvidia drivers.

If you're lucky this will work:
Code:

If not, I'm sure someone will reply with the correct line.

That will upgrade it to NVidia V 190.53?
that's what live has on the cd?
After a kernel is upgraded, a new nvidia kernel module must be installed that matches the new kernel. (This should have happened automatically.)

The command I mentioned installs a nvidia kernel module for the currently installed kernel.

You can check the auto-rebuild function with:
dkms status
I went ahead and reinstalled Live CD but would like to upgrade at a later time. Just want to make sure I am not missing a step. I would like to update XBMC in the future because I Hear that the video problems are more stable now. Just don't want to come across this problem again after updating.
JumJum Wrote:After a kernel is upgraded, a new nvidia kernel module must be installed that matches the new kernel. (This should have happened automatically.)

The command I mentioned installs a nvidia kernel module for the currently installed kernel.

You can check the auto-rebuild function with:
dkms status

I guess,
if it is my understanding....this is what I should do?
Sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo reboot

Is this correct?
I had the same problem.
My XBMC Live installation (onto HDD) was running great, until the computer hang yesterday. I thought "well, let's look for some updates" and after apt-get upgrade (which brought me quite some updates) XBMC wouldn't start because I had no opengl accelerated hardware any more.

The way I solved it is to install XBMC Live completely new, as I had no idea to help myself.
However for the future it would be nice to know how to use updates/upgrades while still be able to use XBMC.

Anyway, yesterday proved something: Never change a running system, even if it hangs the one or the other day... Smile
If want to update to latest PPA, but haven't updated yet, this is the way it worked for me:

sudo aptitude hold xserver-common
sudo aptitude hold xserver-xorg-core
sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude upgrade
taichimaster Wrote:Hi,
I just installed the XBMC Live CD that was compiled back in December 24, 2009. I immediatley updated, upgraded afterwards. after reboot, I recieve this little window that i can barely read but part of it says "xbmc needs accelerated opengl....."? this is what I did after installing the live cd

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo reboot

this is when i see the little window and XBMC won't load up any longer.

Can You please tell me what I am doing wrong?

Had de same gl error

my fix was

Code:
sudo nvidia-installer --update

I did this after I closed X-windows (pressing the OK button, the same screen that gives the GL error)
then I conneced through putty and run the command and rebooted this fixed it for me
GREAT, a big thank you! Works on my machine. Just had to close XBMC before running the nvidia-installer, but I could have thought of that before...
The exact same thing has happened to me. How can I close my X-window? Nothing I do on mouse or keyboard seems to "click" the button. I can ssh into it and issue commands, but I don't know what is neede to close it. I can't re-install my nvidia drivers otherwise. Hmmmm.
Thanks for this solution, just ran into this, worked great!
Anyone else not able to close the error window? I can't and therefore can't run sudo nvidia-installer --update. It says I need to close X server first, but I can't figure out how.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] XBMC upgrade problem after reboot?0