[AppleTV] Possibility to use QuickTime as an External Player in XBMC on Apple TV?
Question 
Hi,
I had a look in the previous threads but I couldn't find anything.
I'd like to use the externalplayer feature of XBMC to play all my movies with the default AppleTv Quicktime player (but inside XBMC) so I will be able to play any format (having Perian installed) but also using the GPU acceleration for 720p HD converted mp4 file.
I tried to find out which is the path for quicktime on the ATV without success...

<video>
<defaultplayer>externalplayer</defaultplayer>
</video>
<externalplayer>
<filename> HuhHuhHuhHuhHuh?? </filename>
<args></args>
<forceontop>true</forceontop>
<hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
<hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
<hidecursor>false</hidecursor>
</externalplayer>

Is that possible on the AppleTV?
Please help.

Cheers,
Fabio
AFAIK this isn't possible on ATV, I had the same thought and discussed it some weeks back with Davilla. The problem (as far as I see it) is that the ATV Front Row software uses QuickTime through private libraries instead of having a full, stand-alone player application installed.

There are other browsers (e.g. Sapphire) that are written as frappliances (Front Row Appliance, a kind of plugin) that get access to the inbuilt quicktime libraries and these will take advantage of all your Perian codecs along with Apples hardware assisted H.264, but XBMC is a full stand-alone application and can't benefit from this.

For now (for me) I find the best way is to use Sapphire for 720p files and XBMC for everything else... there will come a day in the near future when it's all possible Wink
Exactly, this is what I am doing now but with NitoTV instead of Sapphire.
I use nitoTV for Hd movies using quicktime as player and XBMC for the rest but it's not ideal obviously.

Thanks,
fabio
Question 
So here i am again. (sorry devs)

But i read in the wiki that is possible to change the default player withing XBMC. Is this true? If so is this possible on the ATV?

I tried to locate the default Quicktime player within the ATV but couldnt find it anywere. I find a folder named Quicktime but its empty.?

I know Sapphire and NitoTV uses it so would solve all my problems if this is possible.

Thanks
jooz Wrote:So here i am again. (sorry devs)

But i read in the wiki that is possible to change the default player withing XBMC. Is this true? If so is this possible on the ATV?

I tried to locate the default Quicktime player within the ATV but couldnt find it anywere. I find a folder named Quicktime but its empty.?

I know Sapphire and NitoTV uses it so would solve all my problems if this is possible.

Thanks

Quicktime player as a standalone app does not exist under the AppleTV, Sapphire and NitoTV are using the internal frontrow private API available to frontrow plugins. XBMC for Mac/ATV is not a frontrow plugin so it does not have access to this API.
Ok thanks guys for the respons. Now to maybe get jumped of highjacking this thread. I know its possible to install VLC player on the ATV, if so would this then be possible to use this as a external player?

Dont know if it would work any good but could be worth a try.

Thanks again.
jooz Wrote:Ok thanks guys for the respons. Now to maybe get jumped of highjacking this thread. I know its possible to install VLC player on the ATV, if so would this then be possible to use this as a external player?

Dont know if it would work any good but could be worth a try.

Thanks again.

@jooz, you seem to be jumping about try to solve an unsolvable problem (without crystalhd that is). frontrow uses a private API to enable some form of hw acceleration. That API is not available to ANYTHING that is not a plugin. So it's futile to expect any external player to perform better than what you see in XBMC. That's reality.
davilla Wrote:@jooz, you seem to be jumping about try to solve an unsolvable problem (without crystalhd that is). frontrow uses a private API to enable some form of hw acceleration. That API is not available to ANYTHING that is not a plugin. So it's futile to expect any external player to perform better than what you see in XBMC. That's reality.

Ah crap Sad alright then, ill leave it. Thank you anyway.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV] Possibility to use QuickTime as an External Player in XBMC on Apple TV?0