• 2(current)
Donations for DVD-menu in XBMC campaign
gamester17, i don't have a paypal account.
are there other ways to donate??

greetinx an keep up the good work!!! :thumbsup:
Question 
(shumi @ nov. 01 2004,09:12 Wrote:gamester17, i don't have a paypal account. are there other ways to donate??
pm or e-mail me, i'm sure we can arrange some other method (maybe nochex, or else cheque, cash via snail-mail?). :d
...retail/original dvd-video movies are also welcomed for testing and development, but money into the fund is prefered
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
hey, i love xbmc as much as the next guy, but i am not gonna pay for 1 feature on open source programming. especially since i can open other dvd players from within xbmc. if i wanted to pay for this stuff i would buy microsoft counterpart to media center, but i wanted a cheaper solution. this is not the way open source is supposed to work. this isnt freelance source. its open.
Thumbs Down 
(throwingks @ nov. 04 2004,14:31 Wrote:hey, i love xbmc as much as the next guy, but i am not gonna pay for 1 feature on open source programming. especially since i can open other dvd players from within xbmc. if i wanted to pay for this stuff i would buy microsoft counterpart to media center, but i wanted a cheaper solution. this is not the way open source is supposed to work. this isnt freelance source. its open.
the way i see it is that this feature would most likely get developed with or without this kind of donations.
i see it as a token of appreciation to the developers who spend their free time contributing to this great project and as a stimulus for the developers to focus on this functionality.

i personally don’t have anything against this kind of donations. i might bee wrong, but i don’t think is fair to refer to as “pay for open source programming”.
it would be a totally different story if the functionality weren’t going to be developed unless x amount of cash was achieved in the fund.

i bet that you still will be able to dl the new code once it’s finished, whether or not you have made a donation!

keep up the good work guys!

br
henrik tilly
(throwingks @ nov. 04 2004,15:31 Wrote:hey, i love xbmc as much as the next guy, but i am not gonna pay for 1 feature on open source programming. especially since i can open other dvd players from within xbmc. if i wanted to pay for this stuff i would buy microsoft counterpart to media center, but i wanted a cheaper solution. this is not the way open source is supposed to work. this isnt freelance source. its open.
i dont like your attitude one bit.
do you also think it's wrong to donate to this project without anyone asking you to?

you don't think this wonderful application is worth something in return from your side?
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

(throwingks @ nov. 04 2004,15:31 Wrote:if i wanted to pay for this stuff i would buy microsoft counterpart to media center, but i wanted a cheaper solution.
:bomb:
can't get much cheaper than 0 now can it? (i assume you havent donated yet) :verysad:

(throwingks @ nov. 04 2004,14:31 Wrote:hey, i love xbmc as much as the next guy, but i am not gonna pay for 1 feature on open source programming. especially since i can open other dvd players from within xbmc. if i wanted to pay for this stuff i would buy microsoft counterpart to media center, but i wanted a cheaper solution. this is not the way open source is supposed to work. this isnt freelance source. its open.
i'm sorry but you really haven't got a clue have you? no one is demanding you donate, it's enirely voluntary, in fact the work is already being done.

donations are quite common in open source projects, large or small, in fact many open source projects wouldn't exist without them. plus being open source really has nothing to do with something being free or not, you really need to go look up the difference. hint: the difference is between free speech and free beer Wink how do you think linux distributions survive, mostly because they charge for them. what about all the many people that get paid to work on open source code? are you ideologically opposed to this too? should they do it for free?

but i guess none of this really interests you, you just want your free media player. it's your kind of attitude that makes devs wonder why they bother with projects like this.
in their free time these guys have created one of the best (if not the best) media center application avalible on the market today. they are not getting paid for it. and if a few bucks that you donate will help the developers pay for that extra case of coke/jolt/bawls and motivate them to work on the project, why wouldn't you want to donate. go look at sorceforge and all the top oper source apps on there. alomst every single one of them accepts donations.
(deltop @ nov. 04 2004,19:57 Wrote:but i guess none of this really interests you, you just want your free media player. it's your kind of attitude that makes devs wonder why they bother with projects like this.
and to think he (throwingks) registered just to post that...

a m a z i n g

almost worth a warning, imo

look, i didn't mean any disrespect i was merely offering an opinion. i think what these guys do is amazing, i am jealous of their skills and generosity. i am just saying to ask for money for a particular feature is wrong. if you guys were gonna close up shop because you couldnt afford to code and host and you had to feed your children then i would probably donate a couple dollars. but to be honest i have 2 jobs and a "kid to be" of my own.
i think you are the ones who dont understand. if you want to make money off of software, then charge for it. put a shareware logo on it, whatever. but, to ask for money for 1 feature that goes with the whole project, that isnt right.

to deltop
i have never payed for a linux distro, with the exception of one that came with a book i got, but i was really paying for the book. that is freeware. you can buy a package or suite that has better software, better support, etc. people code freeware so they can help a community, not turn a profit. linux was not made to turn a profit. different distrosmay turn a profit butit is not because of linux it is the other things they have to offer.
these guys code because they love coding. i hope they keep up the great work they have done already, get noticed by a huge corporation and make a gazillion dollars.
if you want to warn me go ahead. you arent really gonna hurt my post count. i just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. these guys deserve money just for different reasons than stated.
oh settle down... donations are ok for open source projects. as long as the source is released - no problems. i have slightly more reservations about *requests* for donations for a specific issue, but the intention is good though.

recently, someone offered a "donation" to get keyboard support added and wham! it was added. cool. everybody is happy. i gather the dvd menuing is a bitch to add and as it's a hobby, not a job, everyone leaves the bitchy bits to last. if donations bump a task up the list - again, cool.
throwingls:

you are, ofcourse, entitled to your opinion, however you seem to misunderstand the intention of this request.

we will not (and will never) turn a profit on anything related with xbmc. neither will we ever charge for it, or only enable features if people pay for them. xbmc is, and always will be, coded purely for the joy of doing it. none of us are ever going to get anywhere near payment for the time + effort that goes in to it.

all this particular donation request is for is to allow people who appreciate the time and effort that all the developers, testers, support mods and the myriad of other people that are involved in xbmc, to contribute towards the xbmc project. every now and then a feature comes to the horizon that is a significant achievement that really contributes greatly to the applications use. dvd menu support is one such feature. it clearly adds significant value to the product, hence some people may feel that they wish to donate at this time. this thread simply shows them how they can do this.

perhaps the wording needs a little refinement - this is the first such donations request for a particular feature that has been made. as anomoly noted, users have offered cash for features on numerous occasions, and some of these have been implemented (generally if they are useful ideas and would benefit the project as a whole). none of the cash payments for features have ever covered the cost in time that goes into coding the feature, but it does give more motivation to those involved - the coder realizes how much the feature is worth to someone. many people have in the past offered donations for dvd menu support, and we are simply opening it up for others to do the same. the motivation isn't to get more money, it's to allow users to contribute to the project as they choose to.

it's not a "you must donate if you want this" sort of thing - whether or not you donate is up to you - the feature will be coded and will be available for free just like everything else in xbmc. i'm sure you will download and use it. perhaps once you've used it you'll realize the time and effort that has gone into it, and may feel you wish to donate. if not, that's fine.

xbmc runs at a loss. we pay for the webspace and hosting required for the websites here that you have posted on. donations are what keep this side of xbmc alive. also, hardware doesn't last forever, and needs replacing from time to time. where do you think the money for this comes from?

cheers,
jonathan

money sent today via paypal. thanks for a great program!

is there any way to allow for gps navigation within the xbmc? this question came up at supper last night.

regards,

wayne
@throwingks, just to clearify; xbmc is free and open source, but open source is not the same as freeware :p ...you should read this (link)
Question 
update (9/11-2004): just thought we let everyone that the campaign is going very well which shows the demand for this feature, the fund have already received over 100 donations and so far the fund total is at just over $1,800(us), which includes one very generous donation today of $500(us) from team-xecuter (who said they will also donate 5 x x3-modchips to the fund). short progress-report on the actual code development; our xbmc devs working on this internally have got basic dvd playback working with a new core based on ffmpeg and menus are also partially working, all showing great promise.

ps! we like to get the majority of functions working and be relatively stable before releasing the source code into the public cvs.
sorry but we can't yet set eta date on the release, (code will all be kept internally until release, nor we will pre-release the core).

here are some comments from the people who have donated so far:
"i am not a programmer or developer. so the only way that i can help is to send you some money."
"thank you for your hard work!  the skill and talent of the team never cease to amaze me."
"i am very excited to see something like this implemented. it is something i have wanted for awhile!"
"keep up the good work, regardless of whether the dvd menu support shows up. (but i really would like to see it)"
"you guys rock"
"go dvd menu! would give you guys more but i'm saving all i can at the moment due havin a kiddie on the way!"
"great work with xbmc i have used it a lot, the only thing its missing is a dvd menu"
"thanks again for writing the software to drive the ultimate home entertainment toy!"
"keep up the excellent work. i love you guys!"
"you guys deserve some tangible credit!"
"i am very excited about dvd menu support. thanks for the hard work guys!"
"here's my long overdue donation! keep up the good work on the best application ever!"
"xbmc 4 life!"
"i love xbmc!!!  i would love to see the feature."
"thank you for this great software!"
"pleeeeeeeeease this is the #1 feature missing from xbmc. dear god please!"
"can't wait for dvd menu support!"

by the way, anyone who donate $50+ is added to the "members+" forum group to show you support xbmc, thanks
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Donations for DVD-menu in XBMC campaign0