Manual independent volume level controls per audio output speaker channel?
Question 
I'm coming from a mediaportal installation that I've been using for a long time in combination with ffdshow.

All audio was routed through ffdshow where I could set it up in such a way that I could independently control the volume levels of audio channels. This way I could put the center speaker on 100% volume and front-left and front-right on 55%, the rear speakers on 65% and the subwoofer on 50%.

I do this because tons of movies have their speech on center speaker and compared to the other channels it's a lot lower in volume. Once there is music or some sounds of explosions or what not, the volume of those is way too loud for my taste compared to the center speaker.

Is there a way you can achieve the same with XBMC?

oh and yes, I have set my a/v receiver to lower the volumes on front and rear speakers (-10) and up the volume on the center speaker (+10), all to their possible max, but it's still way too loud in comparison to the center speaker.
You want dynamic range compression. We don't support it currently, nor do we support any per-channel volume adjustments. Both features are available in even the cheapest of theater receivers.
althekiller Wrote:You want dynamic range compression. We don't support it currently, nor do we support any per-channel volume adjustments. Both features are available in even the cheapest of theater receivers.

My AV receiver is certainly not cheap and it supports adjusting the volumes on the center, front and rear speakers, but simply not to the extend that I need.

How is the audio system in XBMC done? Is it just a closed system or are there any plugins that make it able to tweak around with it?
pretty much nothing in xbmc is closed - the source sits right in svn.
althekiller Wrote:You want dynamic range compression. We don't support it currently, nor do we support any per-channel volume adjustments. Both features are available in even the cheapest of theater receivers.

Dynamic Range compression and per-channel volume control are subtly different feature requests if I understand correctly. This one would warrant a new TRAC ticket because I don't think anyone has ever asked for it before, although I did mention it briefly here: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/4871

Whilst it's true even really cheap AV recievers should support this functionality, they often bury it under a shedload of awful menus, so having it in XBMC would be really cool in my opinion.

I'll wait a while for comments and probably open a trac ticket about it later. Thanks for reading.
+1 for this one! Also speaker mapping is needed.
Freddo Wrote:Dynamic Range compression and per-channel volume control are subtly different feature requests if I understand correctly. This one would warrant a new TRAC ticket because I don't think anyone has ever asked for it before, although I did mention it briefly here: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/4871

Whilst it's true even really cheap AV recievers should support this functionality, they often bury it under a shedload of awful menus, so having it in XBMC would be really cool in my opinion.

I'll wait a while for comments and probably open a trac ticket about it later. Thanks for reading.

In my situation it's not that it's buried under a shedload of awful menus. It's simply a case of being able to do a +10 on the center and -8 on the rear and front, but the extend of effect it has is sadfully not sufficient enough. I've seen this in many AV Receivers.

When I was running XBMC on windows before (yuck) I used ffdshow. With that I could set it up in such a way that ffdshow would decode the ac3 or dts signal, change volume levels according to my settings and encode it back to ac3/dts and send it over the spdif to the AV receiver.

Similar functionality in XBMC would be ace, imo. Not only to circumvent the lack of range in the settings of AV Receivers but also to be able to set things in one central spot, named XBMC.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Manual independent volume level controls per audio output speaker channel?0