[LIVE] Does XBMC Live support WiFi?
Question 
Hi all my first thread on these boards Big Grin

I am just about to do an install of XBMC live on an old Emachines 3210 Ive had lying around for ages, and was wondering if I install Live will I still be able to access my wireless network via my USB dongle? Or does it have to be LAN?

Basically I want to connect to my main PC (running XP) and stream all the media from that onto the old 3210 using XBMC.

cheers

Craig
clarity Wrote:Hi all my first thread on these boards Big Grin

I am just about to do an install of XBMC live on an old Emachines 3210 Ive had lying around for ages, and was wondering if I install Live will I still be able to access my wireless network via my USB dongle? Or does it have to be LAN?

Basically I want to connect to my main PC (running XP) and stream all the media from that onto the old 3210 using XBMC.

cheers

Craig

Well first things first, what is your 3210 running for hardware, I doubt you will be able to stream 1080p to it?

If you plan on doing any 1080p then you should use hard wired regardless, however you should be able to get you're dongle working.
328iGuy Wrote:Well first things first, what is your 3210 running for hardware, I doubt you will be able to stream 1080p to it?

If you plan on doing any 1080p then you should use hard wired regardless, however you should be able to get you're dongle working.

Thanks for the fast reply, the 3210 hardware is frankly old: 512mb DDR1 RAM
6 yes 6 GB Harddrive and a 2.80Ghz Celeron Processor. Basically just looking to stream my DVD collection from the main PC no HD stuff needed Smile
clarity Wrote:Thanks for the fast reply, the 3210 hardware is frankly old: 512mb DDR1 RAM
6 yes 6 GB Harddrive and a 2.80Ghz Celeron Processor. Basically just looking to stream my DVD collection from the main PC no HD stuff needed Smile

Ah ok...because HD would puke fast on that Smile. Even your DVD collection at 512mb of RAM...yikes......are you going to run Windows or Linux based?
328iGuy Wrote:Ah ok...because HD would puke fast on that Smile. Even your DVD collection at 512mb of RAM...yikes......are you going to run Windows or Linux based?

i know lol going to see how it goes then upgrade it to 1 Gg using the Live version just installing now.
Is there anyway to install the drivers for the stick on the live version?
clarity Wrote:Is there anyway to install the drivers for the stick on the live version?

You would need to install them after the fact, and without a net connection may be tough Smile. Can you hardwire it for now to install the drivers?
328iGuy Wrote:You would need to install them after the fact, and without a net connection may be tough Smile. Can you hardwire it for now to install the drivers?

yeah can do, where can I find them do you think when i do?
clarity Wrote:yeah can do, where can I find them do you think when i do?

I can't help you with that, hopefully someone else has done this. I only ever hard wire for streaming personally.
328iGuy Wrote:I can't help you with that, hopefully someone else has done this. I only ever hard wire for streaming personally.
ok bud no problems thanks for your help so far, will i have to reinstall the live version to connect it to my LAN now ive just plugged it in or should it just autoconnect?
Bump
clarity Wrote:ok bud no problems thanks for your help so far, will i have to reinstall the live version to connect it to my LAN now ive just plugged it in or should it just autoconnect?

I can't see why you'd have to re-install just because you've only now connected it to your LAN. I've installed XBMC Live twice recently and didn't have any network connectivity for both installs...worked fine as soon as I plugged the cable in (or configured for WiFi). Nod

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] Does XBMC Live support WiFi?0