Is this possible? XBMC running only on monitor while ubuntu keeps operating normally?
Lightbulb 
Hey everyone, I'm about to embark on a project and before I begin I was hoping someone could shed some light on this, maybe tell me if it's been done or if it can be done. Anyways my old xbox xbmc is finally dying for good, and I've been running an instance of xbmc on my desktop ubuntu machine as a user that just autoloads xbmc in fullscreen mode whenever you login for a while now, and I'm loving it. Well I just today got a free tv and I had an idea: Instead of replacing the xbox with a new set top machine for xbmc, could I just setup the tv next to my monitor and run it as a second monitor and have xbmc automatically launch to the tv whenever it's loaded? I would like for it to work like turning the xbox on really, in that normally the tv is off to save power and it's not being used as a second monitor in ubuntu, then whenever I want to "turn on" ubuntu i can just launch the app and THEN it would be sent to the television instead of the main monitor, so that the tv is really only used for xbmc.

I hope this was clear enough, I think it can be done, I just don't know for certain. Anyone have any tips? Nerd
It doesn't work with a default xbmc installation, but it can be done if you patch the code and compile xbmc yourself.

The patch needed can be found in this thread the developers forum: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=37377

I'm sure it will work with a standard installation eventually.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is this possible? XBMC running only on monitor while ubuntu keeps operating normally?0