[AppleTV] MP4 files no longer play on my Apple TV?
This is really frustrating, I can no longer play mp4 files on my Apple TV... I am not 100% sure when it started but I know these files used to play, I created them a long time ago with Visualhub (mostly) and I have watched them several times. Now I just get either an error "failed to play" or nothing at all.

I turned on debugging and did a pastebin *the file I tried playing now is "Forgetting Sarah Marshall.mp4"

http://pastebin.com/m80393ea

I would really really appreciate if anyone saw something I could do to fix this rather than re-encoding all my files Sad

THANKS!!
zerostar Wrote:This is really frustrating, I can no longer play mp4 files on my Apple TV... I am not 100% sure when it started but I know these files used to play, I created them a long time ago with Visualhub (mostly) and I have watched them several times. Now I just get either an error "failed to play" or nothing at all.

I turned on debugging and did a pastebin *the file I tried playing now is "Forgetting Sarah Marshall.mp4"

http://pastebin.com/m80393ea

I would really really appreciate if anyone saw something I could do to fix this rather than re-encoding all my files Sad

THANKS!!

Bet you installed NitoTV and also picked the quicktime for Perian which will break mp4 playback. Google for how to revert this.
I have Nito Tv and Perian and it plays mp4 just fineHuh
To revert you can try to ssh into the atv and issue those commands
sudo mount -uw /
sudo rm -rf /Library/QuickTime/Perian.component
sudo rm -rf /Library/QuickTime/AC3MovieImport.component
sudo rm -rf /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/A52Codec.component
sudo mv /System/Library/QuickTime (disabled)/QuickTimeH264.component /System/Library/QuickTime
sudo mount -ur /
sudo reboot
Now you should be back at the apple H264
I never installed anything besides Launcher and XBMC. Unless I did so back before patchstick was around, but I know I've played mp4's since all that

Also, it does play Some mp4's just not all. I went thru all and there were 14 out of about 30 that would not play. Running them thru Roadmovie with just the "flatten" setting gives me a .mov and those play. Was able to do them all last night but I saved the mp4's also.

Can I still remove (or try to) the Quicktime plugins/components just incase that is interfering? I'll check and see if they are installed when I get back home.
Once removed you are back where you were and can eventually reinstall with Nito
I only use XBMC, so removing all those won't hurt XBMC or the Standard AppleTV [frontrow] player right?
You hurted it already as things dont work !!!
LOL true. Actually I think those mp4's got messed up somehow... Several new ones (720p) are working just fine today, as well as many old ones.
Yep I had none of those files... so I guess it was just my mp4's screwed up somehow :\
Oo

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV] MP4 files no longer play on my Apple TV?0