Multi Threaded (Multi Core / CPU) Video Decoding?
Question 
I know this has been asked before, but I still don't have a clear answer if 4 cores can be used for video decode. I am about to buy a new processor and am wondering to go with 4 cores at stock speed or 2 core overclocked. Thank you.
Under linux i believe ffmpeg currently only supports two cores.

However if you are buying a new system, why not go for an ion based system so you can take advantage of hardware gpu decoding?

Cheaper, cooler, more efficient and will happily do 1080p content.
I had considered doing an ion system before, but I have always been a windows guy. I am using win 7 and homegroups to distribute content around the home, lot of recorded tv in .wtv format. I wanted to use xbmc mainly for movie playback of all of my hidef mkv's. I can get them to play under media center but some files don't always play nice and the ui is always slightly slower than xbmc. I also noticed library navigation and move playback with ff and rw were always 100% reliable and picture perfect using software decoding. Along with hulu and other flashed based content ( I know of flash 10.1 beta) I feel it is safer in my case to go with full horsepower capability of doing everything in software. This is a secondary pc being repaired in my theater goind into a mid tower case that is located remotely with my rack so appearances and silence are as crucial (although always practiced). Which brings me back to the question 2 core or quad core?
I would go with dual core personally, but you might be better off asking in the windows forum to be sure. My experience is on the linux / osx / atv side. I only use windows from time to time, so would hate to lead you down the wrong path.

That being said though, i would be surprised if ffmpeg utilised more than two cores.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Multi Threaded (Multi Core / CPU) Video Decoding?0