Can I reinstall without losing everything?
Hoping someone can she some light.....

I had installed XBMC Live via ISO on an ASRock ION 330, everything was great and went to install a plugin, however copied and paste the wrong line and ended up doing a command line install of XBMC Live, must be a different build and now I have ONLY Digital sound, anything with analog sound doesn't work?

IS there a setting I can check or change to get Analog sound back?

IF not, and I do a reinstall, anyway to save settings?

Thanks
Lightbulb 
Hi,

all user specific settings (Language, Location, ...) is stored in ~/.xbmc directory. You can tar this directory as backup of your setting. Then you can reinstall and extract the tar.

I hope others will give you advice about changing configuration in config files...
here's what I did, and I'm no expert

using file Manager, added a source for home/xbmc/.xbmc and a Network location
backed up this location to a share on my Network. I did not have anything else in the home/xbmc folder, if you have saved movies, TV Shows, weather plugin, you will need to back them up seperately. for some reason the filemanager in XBMC does not like copying folders that begin with a . You have to go inside the folder and copy it

Installed new XBMC from Live CD/USB, this will reformat the HDD

On the Network Share, went and cleaned this location to delete cached Thumbs under userdata..

using file Manager, added a source for home/xbmc/.xbmc and a Network location

copied the data back to the HTPC (make sure you copy the .XBMC folder by going into the folder) ..

Reboot

My XBMC started with my Remote customizations, sources and my skin ..

All done with a Remote and being 10 ft away from the TV

Hope it helps

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can I reinstall without losing everything?0