"Grouping" of library items in a list by first letter only?
I have what i consider to be a large library, and navigating through a long list of artists it kind of a pain. Is there some way to group library by their first letter?

For example, suppose I clicked on "Artists" in my library to view all artists. Instead of seeing a loooong list of my artists and having to page down a gazillion times, I'd like to see:

A-B
C-D
E-F
... (etc)
Y-Z

That way I would only see 12 items (ok maybe 13 if I somehow included artists that started with numbers/symbols) and could quickly navigate to a particular artists.

Any thoughts on this, is there another approach I should be considering?

Thanks!
Ok- I'm a bit of a newb on this board... can't seem to edit my title of the post though I tried a couple of times it doesn't "stick"...

"Grouping of" instead of "Gouping or".

Also, not sure how I ended up posting to this forum, Blush perhaps an op could move this post to "General Help and Support"?

If not I'll post there in a couple of days if I don't get a reply here.

Thanks...
Gamester moved your post to FR.

We already support this, albeit not in the manner you require exactly.

1. Use SHIFT-<letter> to jump through the list if you have a keyboard plugged in.

2. Use the JumpSMS2 - JumpSMS9 with a remote control to SMS input down to the letter you want.

3. Use NextLetter/PrevLetter actions in your keymap to jump to the next and previous letter.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thank you for the help Jonothan (and Gamester!)

I will experiment a little. Maybe I can use 0-9 on my remote and map them to letters.

Thanks again...
digidigi Wrote:Thank you for the help Jonothan (and Gamester!)

I will experiment a little. Maybe I can use 0-9 on my remote and map them to letters.

Thanks again...

Do a search for JumpSMS - its exactly what you are looking for. You would press 6 on remote to go directly to artists beginning with M etc etc
Works great!

I was a little skeptical at first as I am not much of a dial-pad texter, but the letters are on the number keys of my remote, so its really quite easy.

Thanks!
Was just talking in IRC about this with someone who asked for a similar feature. I was looking for this function too.

SMS function is an OK solution but requires many more keypresses and isn't as intuitive. Shift + Letter function is useless to anyone who uses a normal remote.

Something like this in xbmc would be awesome.

I looked it up on google and the code seems very simple. Something like this maybe?

Code:
select substr(artist_name,1,1) as alpha, count(id)
  from music
group by substr(artist_name,1,1)

This would be great for movies and music browsing

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Grouping" of library items in a list by first letter only?0