Update skin from git using Terminal?
Hey all, sorry for such a dumb question (or is it?)...

Is there a way to update the skin directory without downloading the entire skin again? I have a Mac OS X, and I use Terminal to clone the Alaska directory. I'm sure it's a simple command, but I couldn't find the answer googling.

Thanks!
I love my Mac Mini :;):
You will need git to download it.
I have a script which you can run to download / update the Alaska skin.
(Don't know where I have found it, but thanks for the creator of it!)
You will have to make sure the path to your skin directory is right and git is installed.

AlaskaSkinInstaller.sh
Okay, I open Terminal, then drop in the script, and hit enter, and it says "Permission denied," any chance you know what this means? Thank you for your help!

Just to add I did set the skin path, and git is installed.
If you have git installed, open a terminal, cd to the skins directory and clone the git repository with "git clone ...". After that you can simple go to the Alaska directory in the terminal and run "git pull" and will get all the latest changes since your last pull. You won't have to download the whole stuff over and over again.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
UnisonRuss Wrote:Okay, I open Terminal, then drop in the script, and hit enter, and it says "Permission denied," any chance you know what this means? Thank you for your help!

Just to add I did set the skin path, and git is installed.

Ah, you will need to make the script executable.
In terminal type:

PHP Code:
chmod u+x AlaskaSkinInstaller.sh 

Then it will work I think
Just go to the directory Alaska and in that directory (in terminal) do command "git pull"
That will update everything. It did for me.
Once you get the hang if it, you'll love using git for downloading updates. It's quick and easy to use and automate. The big bonus is that it allows you to make local changes without locking you out of Hitcher's updates.
EDIT: I got it all figured out, github is new to me, and works really well Smile
how did you get git installed into appletv ?
Montellese Wrote:If you have git installed, open a terminal, cd to the skins directory and clone the git repository with "git clone ...". After that you can simple go to the Alaska directory in the terminal and run "git pull" and will get all the latest changes since your last pull. You won't have to download the whole stuff over and over again.

That worked great! I already had it cloned in my skin directory, so I CD to the skin directory, typed git pull, and all was well!
grey Wrote:how did you get git installed into appletv ?

Could this be done? would git run on the appletv? That would make things pretty tite. cron up a nightly. Heaven.
Platform - AppleTV
AppleTV Version - 3.0.1
Launcher version - 3.2.4
Install Method - Patchstick
SVN Revision - 9.11 R28256
(2)Seritek 5PM Chassis' :: 12TB
xaos01 Wrote:Could this be done? would git run on the appletv? That would make things pretty tite. cron up a nightly. Heaven.

Honestly, I have no idea, never used an atv, but have a look at this page, might be something there ?
ynwa

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Update skin from git using Terminal?0