xbmc only launches from GUI, not a terminal
Exclamation 
Well just as the title says when I launch xbmc through the gnome GUI (Ubuntu 9.10) it starts up just fine. However, when I attempt to launch it in a terminal by simply typing in 'xbmc' it gives me a complaint about needing hardware accelerated OpenGL rendering. I've tried launching it with all the video related arguments I could find in the man pages but no luck. This is much needed to tie xbmc into a button on my remote via lirc.

If anyone knows why this would be or has a hint please let me know.
Use the xbmcbuntu guide or use the Live installation CD
I've been looking through the guide and what I'm really looking for is an answer to why it's working (or not) this way. I can launch other opengl programs through the terminal. This is not a designated xbmc machine. Im merely trying to just a system setup similar to Os X's Front Row. But better. So whats different about xbmc that makes it so it will launch, just not via a terminal?
Well it launches from a terminal fine with sudo. Which is better news then before but it doesn't leave me with much to tie the command into my controller button. Anyone know of a good solution to this (without writing gksudo into a script- it would be pointless to tie it in to the remote if I had to type my password everytime)?
There should be no need to run it with root permissions. If you need to, then something hasn't been setup correctly.

Maybe details how you have installed it, what you have setup, users, etc.. and someone might be able to give you a pointer in the right direction. So far there is nothing to really go on or help you with.
Well I installed it from the Karmic repositories via apt-get (ppa:team-xbmc) under my one and only user on this system. Which is why I'm so confused on why xbmc isn't utilizing my video card drivers when I launch it under a terminal (or in this case- gnome-terminal). Works fine if I navigate to it via Applications -> Sound and Video -> XBMC Media Center.

Here is the exact error as it shows when I attempt to type in 'xbmc' into the terminal.
"XBMC needs hardware accelerated OpenGL rendering. Install an appropriate graphics driver.
Please consult XBMC Wiki for supported hardware
*wiki address here*"

Granted I am running the open source ati drivers, but they are not a problem once I'm in XBMC nor have they ever been a problem with accessing any other 3d utilizing programs on my computer.
I second that. This is exactly what happens with me.
I got legacy NVIDIA 5200 FX. I can run XBMC fine under GUI (X server). But whenever try to run XBMC from the console, even with root access, I get that exact error (OpenGL not loaded).

This is what preventing me from using XBMCLive and using the auto-start hack (cause its not loading X and WM, and start the XBMC directly under console).

Any solution on this?

I really think its problem on the legacy NVIDIA driver not fully supported by Linux.
I also tried logging into a xbmc session with my username. That works fine. For some reason it's just not running from a virtual terminal for me which is causing problems on writing scripted events.
Huh just found out after a full reboot it seems to work. Strange. Would not work if I restarted X server only after a complete power cycle. Well problem solved for me I guess. But does anyone know why it was happening that way?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc only launches from GUI, not a terminal0