Can I run XBMC on a Intel Pentium 4 computer? If so, which PCI graphic card to get?
Rather than buying legacy parts and digging yourself into a deeper hole, you might as well just invest in an ION setup that will be leagues beyond the P4. Without hardware acceleration, the system will chug.

As jhsrennie stated, the case also has to be fairly large and noisy! A tiny nettop would be quiet, discreet, and out of the way!
I agree about the size. This box is actually one with a smaller form factor but I still plan on installing it being the wall that the TV is on and just neatly port the wires through the wall to the back of my stereo cabinet.

What ION / Nettop setup would you all suggest?

I really wish the AppleTV worked well enough for me to use it.
Any of these should work.

I would like to point out that the cheapest card there costs almost as much as the GT430 deal they were running last week.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
That system CAN do 1080p with a 512mb 8400 GS PCI card, but the problem is NO card exists that can give that system an HDMI out- aka have audio and video on the same cable. I have looked and looked, but even the PCI 9500GT doesn't seem to allow SPDIF passthrough.

Therefore if you NEED HDMI, you NEED a new system. If you just need 1080p get the 8400GS and a soundcard with an optical out.

poofyhairguy Wrote:That system CAN do 1080p with a 512mb 8400 GS PCI card, but the problem is NO card exists that can give that system an HDMI out- aka have audio and video on the same cable. I have looked and looked, but even the PCI 9500GT doesn't seem to allow SPDIF passthrough.

Therefore if you NEED HDMI, you NEED a new system. If you just need 1080p get the 8400GS and a soundcard with an optical out.

I do need HDMI but only for video unless a DVI to HDMI converter will accomplish the same results. I actually don't want sound via HDMI because my HDMI board on my stereo is not working. I was planing on setting it up so that HDMI video goes to TV and sound is delivered via optical cable to the stereo.
djonesax Wrote:I do need HDMI but only for video unless a DVI to HDMI converter will accomplish the same results. I actually don't want sound via HDMI because my HDMI board on my stereo is not working. I was planing on setting it up so that HDMI video goes to TV and sound is delivered via optical cable to the stereo.

Then you are set. Get the 8400 GS 512mb PCI card, a DVI to HDMI cable, a XBMC Live CD and enjoy!

djonesax Wrote:I do need HDMI but only for video unless a DVI to HDMI converter will accomplish the same results. I actually don't want sound via HDMI because my HDMI board on my stereo is not working. I was planing on setting it up so that HDMI video goes to TV and sound is delivered via optical cable to the stereo.

Yes, DVI -> HDMI will do the trick for video only.

Poofy meant "if you need HDMI for audio", at least I think that's what he meant...

-Wes
It's always something... This system has a 220W power supply and these cards are asking for at least 330w to 350w.
This machine is a 3Ghz P4 by the way...

I tested this machine as it sits with the Live CD and 720p content played perfectly but 1080p was pretty choppy. So when I get the PCI video card, it should work good.

What I am looking at right now is

$20 - Sound Card
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rocketfish-7-1-Chann...1200wt_906

$50 - $60 - Video Card 512mb 8400 GS PCI card

$50 - 25' HDMI and Optical cable so I can hide the box

$15 IR Recevier

So I am around $150 to get this machine working as a HTPC. Is there a nettop out there for around the same price that would work as well as this system?

I am a little concerned that the power supply in this machine is only 220W. Do you all think that is going to be a problem?

David
I think the PSU should be okay, as the card doesn't require a lot of power.

Most nettops are $200ish... so if you feel it would be best to re-purpose the old machine, then go for it!

For the HDMI and Optical SPDIF cable, I would recommend checking Monoprice (where I always get my cables).

50' Premium Optical Cable ($12ish)
50' Premium HDMI 1.4 High Speed 24AWG Cable ($30)

I was not sure where you were planning to buy your cables, or what quality they are. I can stand by Monoprice's cable quality!! Also, do you really need a 50' cable?! That seems excessive and you can save a lot of $$ if you would buy the proper length.
bmcclure937 Wrote:I was not sure where you were planning to buy your cables, or what quality they are. I can stand by Monoprice's cable quality!! Also, do you really need a 50' cable?! That seems excessive and you can save a lot of $$ if you would buy the proper length.

25' is what I was going to get. IMO with digital signals you are either going to get the picture or you are not. So a more expensive cable isnt going to make a difference in reception quality over short distances. I will usually try to find the cheaper but still quality cables when it comes to cables like HDMI and if they dont work I will send or take them back. For the record I have never had to take one back. I once bought a two sets of Monster cables for $75 each because the guy in the store told me I needed them for a 120Hz TV, which I though was BS because why does the Hz of the TV affect what cable you need. I bought them just to prove to my that it was BS. I took them home and compared them to some cheapo's and they were exactly the same. I took them back the next day to get my $150 back.
What about this card for 5 bucks more than the 8400?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/EVGA+-+GeFor...Id=1734043

Also, do I need anything special as far as the sound card goes? This looks reasonable and at my local walmart...
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Diamond-Multim...rd/4765193

Thanks,

David
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/h...mi-run.htm
Code:
If you wait for the sales, then yes, you can get a system for about the same price.
Code:

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can I run XBMC on a Intel Pentium 4 computer? If so, which PCI graphic card to get?1