[WINDOWS] XBMC's DirectX / Direct3D dependencies seem to interfere with Steam games?
Question 
So I've been having Steam game crashes and I've tracked the issue to the DX9 installs that XBMC performs on install.

Tough call here, being able to play my games or use XBMC, and I really don't wanna lose either. Is there any way to run XBMC on my Windows machine without rolling back to an old version or installing the DX9 stuff?

If not, does anyone has a clever solution to run XBMC on my machine without causing any goofups? I'm just about at the end of my rope here.

When I try to run without a proper install I get:
"Can't start d3dx9_42.dll blah blah blah", helpHuh
please use the full setup from the main page
http://xbmc.org/download/

there has a online directx setup includet
u must have an internet connection during setup !!

No1451 Wrote:So I've been having Steam game crashes and I've tracked the issue to the DX9 installs that XBMC performs on install.

Tough call here, being able to play my games or use XBMC, and I really don't wanna lose either. Is there any way to run XBMC on my Windows machine without rolling back to an old version or installing the DX9 stuff?

If not, does anyone has a clever solution to run XBMC on my machine without causing any goofups? I'm just about at the end of my rope here.

When I try to run without a proper install I get:
"Can't start d3dx9_42.dll blah blah blah", helpHuh
Try downloading and running the DirectX installer from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/detai...2d8712d553

JR
Hey guys, thanks, but I need to get it to run WITHOUT that DX update, once it hits my machine I won't be able to play games anymore(hardlock every time).

Is there no way around it?
No1451 Wrote:Hey guys, thanks, but I need to get it to run WITHOUT that DX update, once it hits my machine I won't be able to play games anymore(hardlock every time).

Is there no way around it?

You could use one of the development builds of the OpenGL version of XBMC. Search this forum for "opengl" to find places you can download an OpenGL build.

JR
xbmc just runs the webupdater which updates your DirectX versions to the latest. All three versions (9, 10, 11) are installed in parallel so nothing is breaking your directx. XBMC still needs 9 in order to run on XP as well.
Only option as already told is then to use an OpenGL build.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
No1451 Wrote:Hey guys, thanks, but I need to get it to run WITHOUT that DX update, once it hits my machine I won't be able to play games anymore(hardlock every time).

Most (if not all) Steam games install that same update too on first run.
WiSo Wrote:xbmc just runs the webupdater which updates your DirectX versions to the latest. All three versions (9, 10, 11) are installed in parallel so nothing is breaking your directx. XBMC still needs 9 in order to run on XP as well.
Only option as already told is then to use an OpenGL build.

That will require building from source myself correct?

bb10 Wrote:Most (if not all) Steam games install that same update too on first run.

On some older games, like Serious Sam, and when I install that all the rest of my games also break. I'm really unsure why it happens but once I install the update I get hard crashes on nearly all my games(14 tested so far). Valve's only response so far has been tough luck, so if I can't fix their issue I can at least get rid of one of the issues.
XBMC install's shouldn't have anything to do with breaking Steam. I install SVN builds pretty much every day, and have a good 30-40 steam games and never ran into any issue's playing them ever. Probably an odd coincidence, but i'd find it odd otherwise. Or possibly something got corrupted while it installed.
It's not XBMC, it's purely the DX Direct3D stuff that goofs it up, 9.04 had no issue. I've tested this on 4 fresh installs of Win7 and 3 of Vista, no dice.

Is there any easy way to get OpenGL versions of XBMC? I'm pretty clueless with compiling my own
I've got Win7 and Vista (both 64bit) and use DX compiled versions, and play steam games just fine without error's.
Yes you can get OGL versions. Easiest way is if you compile them yourselves, you can change the one line from dx to opengl and build. If you are looking for already built, you can find unnofficial builds here http://www.sshcs.com/xbmc/ along with grabbing svn's built skin's as well. Take your pick of which windows version you want. (installer might be easiest for you if your still learning the ropes.
djdafreund Wrote:I've got Win7 and Vista (both 64bit) and use DX compiled versions, and play steam games just fine without error's.
Yes you can get OGL versions. Easiest way is if you compile them yourselves, you can change the one line from dx to opengl and build. If you are looking for already built, you can find unnofficial builds here http://www.sshcs.com/xbmc/ along with grabbing svn's built skin's as well. Take your pick of which windows version you want. (installer might be easiest for you if your still learning the ropes.

Thanks for the tip! I'm still not sure WHY these two things can't play friendly but I've lost too many hours trying to get them too, and I just can't stand to lose either of them.

Thanks again everyone who had suggestions!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] XBMC's DirectX / Direct3D dependencies seem to interfere with Steam games?0