Best way to integrate Live TV and TV Recording?
I recently bought a tv card (Hauppauge HVR-4000) with analogtv, dvb-t, dvb-s and dvbs2 support for my htpc. Now I want to integrate live tv and recording (including sceduling) into my xbmc.
I checked the forums and found a lot of topics concerning mythtv and VDR, and also something called TVheadend is mentioned.
I know mythtv is something like xbmc just with tv support and a separate client and server part.
VDR seems to concentrate on the tv and recording/sceduling part only.
I couldn't figure out what tvheadend is or does.
Is there something else?

What would be the best solution for me?
I would prefer a solution where I don't have to install another full-featured media-center (like mythtv) just to use only the server part. Just a tv viewer and recorder backend/server with scheduling would do just fine.
It should be easy to integrate into xbmc's menus.

I know something like this might have been asked before but I would like a solution that fits my wish for a as-lightweight-as-possible and no-redundant-functions to xbmc. Something I really hate is to have more than one program on my box that does the same (like mythtv and xbmc) while I'm using just one.
im pretty sure through the use of use flags, you should be able to build the backend only for myth. but the frontend is nice to have as well to schedule stuff on.

because unfortunately..i use the built in mythtv protocol, and so far as I know it doesn't support scheduling at all..and the other mythtv "scripts" seem to not work or only work on things other than the xbox

good luck as ill be interested in this topic as well
Tariella Wrote:I checked the forums and found a lot of topics concerning mythtv and VDR, and also something called TVheadend is mentioned.
I know mythtv is something like xbmc just with tv support and a separate client and server part.
VDR seems to concentrate on the tv and recording/sceduling part only.
I couldn't figure out what tvheadend is or does.
[..]
I would prefer a solution where I don't have to install another full-featured media-center (like mythtv) just to use only the server part. Just a tv viewer and recorder backend/server with scheduling would do just fine.
It should be easy to integrate into xbmc's menus.
Have a deeper look at TVHeadend. There is a good howto about integration into XBMC and it works very good.
From within XBMC You can watch live-tv and switch channels.
You can not start or schedule recordings or navigate the EPG.

The latter three actions you can always perform via the webinterface of TVHeadend, which is the only interface it provides. Recordings are saved as mkv-files and can be easily played by XBMC. Therefore, with a smart setup of those two you have all your recordings available in XBMC.

Maybe this is already changed in recent versions but I installed TVHeadend in December, it worked fine and so I never touched it again ... Rolleyes
I had a look at tvheadend and it seems like it should do exactly what I need and nothing more. Is there a plan to integrate the scheduling interface into xbmc in the future? Will it be compatible with the unified PVR once it is out?
I'll give it a try.
The pvr testing branch has an incomplete tvheadend client included.

Have a look at the videos of the vdr client in action to see what you can expect in the future:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_qu...type=&aq=f
All Things PVR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best way to integrate Live TV and TV Recording?0