Recommend a light skin for old hardware
Question 
Hi

I've got an old macmini PPC 1.5gig frontend happening but confluence is pretty slow on it - I'd like to know what else i can use that will speed things up a little?

I've done everything possible for now - i killed spotlight and dashboard and things are running faster but still not the best

so which skin? I'm wondering if PM-HD is ok, but i'd like to be able to customize the frontpage like Confluence will allow me so that i can take away everything other than movies/TV shows and weather. The users of this box are going to be very novice Confused
These XBOX optimized skins are probably the best you'll get...and yes PM3 is probably the most lightweight there is.
mcborzu Wrote:These XBOX optimized skins are probably the best you'll get...and yes PM3 is probably the most lightweight there is.

thanks that's very helpful!

any suggestions in that? I guess PM is pretty stripped back but it's still lagging it a little. I might have to get it more ram for it to be working 100%.

I might also try out the stripped back x box version for MiniMedia skin. do you have any suggestions for places i can go to find tips on getting things to run faster?
Just the normal XBOX rules:

Keep fanart at 960x540 or just turn off
Turn of stuff you don't absolutely need:
RSS
Media Flags
If the skin has option to disable views, check the ones you don't want
etc...
Try MS_Redux, i found it to be the best looking skin for XBOX/Slow Machines. You could also try Rapier, but latest version tend to be more ram/cpu demanding.

Also, create a advancedsettings.xml with:
PHP Code:
<fanartheight>540<fanartheight

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
If you know how to unpack the textures.xpr you could reduce the texture sizes by 50% on all textures over 256 pixels then repack the whole lot. though i am unsure if there is a program for osx to do this.
XBMC Frodo 12 - Windows 7 - Asrock Ion 330HT - Aeon Nox

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recommend a light skin for old hardware0