[AppleTV] DTS works, AC3 does not
Hey guys,

I just got an AppleTV and Broadcom CrystalHD and proceeded to play my downloaded mkv's. Turns out that I have no audio on the mkv's that have a Ac3 soundtrack. Those that have dts soundtracks work fine. My audio settings are as follows: AC3 Capable Rcvr, DTS Capable Rcvr, Digital Out. My receiver is connected via digital out. I would have liked to test hdmi audio out but I have no way to test it. Im running Os v3.0.1, Launcher v3.2.2 and XBMC r27236.

Thanks for your help.
There is already a ticket opened up on this bug.
Is this a bug for everybody with an AppleTV or just certain software configurations? Strikes me because Ac3 audio is built into a ton of movies.
Hey,

It's a known bug I asked Davilla about this. It will be fixed soon. I actually have the inverse of this problem, where AC3 works for me, but DTS does not. I have an AC3 decoder but not a DTS one, and I have set this up in the settings, but DTS is still passthrough'd which is a known bug.
The ticket is indeed being looked into and can be found here:
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/8627
I've been able to use ac3 pass-thru audio from my mkv videos using r27265. The only trick is that I have to turn my receiver in manual digital mode since it won't auto detect the digital signal. For dts I can leave it in auto detect and it works fine.
@dwoodland: Now what OS version of Apple TV are you running under? There is talk that Apple may have messed around with digital out on newer versions beginning around 2.4 and up which creates these problems.
I'm on Apple TV version 3.0.1
Mojonba Wrote:Is this a bug for everybody with an AppleTV or just certain software configurations? Strikes me because Ac3 audio is built into a ton of movies.

I have not had a single issue with AC3 output on any of the nighties with my AppleTV. All of the videos I watch are AC3 (DD 5.1/DD 2.0) or DTS and my receiver seems to be able to play them all.
travisbell Wrote:I have not had a single issue with AC3 output on any of the nighties with my AppleTV. All of the videos I watch are AC3 (DD 5.1/DD 2.0) or DTS and my receiver seems to be able to play them all.

And what version is your aTV OS? I thought the good thing with the aTV is that it is a constant hardware configuration (same as good old xbox).
I have the latest 3.0.1 installed. Latest XBMC nightly (been playing with the Broadcom card stuff) and outputting via optical to my receiver.
Have a work-a-round working...
ATV: 3.0.1
XBMC SVN: 27500
Media: Attached .mkv
Settings - Speakers = 5.1, Audio = Digital, AC3 = Yes, Downmix = No
Receiver: "Normal Surround" (aka Manual I suppose) - Optical input
With my receiver set to "Auto Format Detect" I get the typical 2 front channels only. When I made the change to "Normal Surround" all channels play, including the LFE. So I believe this is just a matter of the way XBMC is processing and/or delivering the signal; which my receiver can't classify. Hope this helps!
D-tyme Wrote:Have a work-a-round working...
ATV: 3.0.1
XBMC SVN: 27500
Media: Attached .mkv
Settings - Speakers = 5.1, Audio = Digital, AC3 = Yes, Downmix = No
Receiver: "Normal Surround" (aka Manual I suppose) - Optical input
With my receiver set to "Auto Format Detect" I get the typical 2 front channels only. When I made the change to "Normal Surround" all channels play, including the LFE. So I believe this is just a matter of the way XBMC is processing and/or delivering the signal; which my receiver can't classify. Hope this helps!

I updated to 27500 and still have no audio in movies (avi/mkv) with ac3 audio. In my case my receiver does not recognize anything 2 or 5.1 channel whether in auto or manual.
I've tried the workaround to and am getting the same problem, still no audio.
It is kind of confusing why some people are able to get AC3 Passthrough while others cannot. From others I have spoken to on the subject it doesn't seem like the installs were any different on the machine, yet my log files shows there is a problem decoding the AC3 track.
I dont get why this problem isnt more widespread. In my opinion, if this issue is for the entire aTV population them my just acquired aTV is less useful than my xbox with xbmc and money down the drain. Why all the trouble of getting 1080p videos to play flawlessly when you can not hear them?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV] DTS works, AC3 does not0