Planning a new build - Aspire Revo vs AppleTV vs ?
My modded Xbox finally died today and I'm looking to replace it. About time since I'd like to watch full HD these days. Smile

Now, I know the AppleTV can't do full 1080p without the Broadcom card and I'm fine going that route. However, I also know that the Aspire Revo is better for future proofing and flexibility.

My problem is that until I finish my basement and get my HD20 projector hooked up, I'm stuck using my Mitsubishi 48" HDTV. Unfortunately there's no HDMI input... just component. I'm within a month of having the projector hooked up, so I'd be fine using s-video or even composite (ugh) for that amount of time.

So, is there any way of doing component, s-video, or composite on the Aspire Revo? Is there a better alternative to the AppleTV in the under $300 range (preferably closer to $200).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Smile
I've got both. An asprie revo r3600 and an Apple TV (with BCM card) and I love both of them. The revo will offer you HDMI and VGA. The aTV will offer you component, hdmi, and with the TVComposite kext, composite connectivity.

The Broadcom card in the aTV is in it's early stages at the moment, expect some flaws. The revo offers a bit more functionality.

Ultimately, it's up to you.

If you want to know anything else, go for it.
Can your TV possibly do VGA? The Revo has both HDMI and VGA, so you could temporarily go VGA if your set supports it.
vga to component break out should work

Cables To Go ULTIMA HDTV Video Cable
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sk...id=1288915
Thanks for the info, Sam. fekker, don't breakout cables generally require that the drivers support it? Will the video drivers with XBMC Live be able to do it? I guess I can always be the first test case if nobody else has tried it, but if it fails then I'm without my HTPC for a month. Sad

gabbott Wrote:Can your TV possibly do VGA? The Revo has both HDMI and VGA, so you could temporarily go VGA if your set supports it.

No, just component, composite, and s-video. Sad

If the breakout cables won't work, I may go with AppleTV and then build out a Revo in 6-8 months, since I'll need HTPC's on both the TV and projector at some point anyway.
szsori Wrote:Thanks for the info, Sam. fekker, don't breakout cables generally require that the drivers support it? Will the video drivers with XBMC Live be able to do it? I guess I can always be the first test case if nobody else has tried it, but if it fails then I'm without my HTPC for a month. Sad

good point, i'm not sure if the drivers will support it since it's not just a standard signal
there are breakout boxes that take standard vga and convert it (kinda pricey)

does your tv have dvi by chance? (if so you might be able to do dvi-hdmi)-
--edit nm the dvi, reread your post
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I'm in a position similar to the threadstarter. Does the ATV with XBMC installed support PAL signals over the component interface? I don't want to upgrade my 2nd TV to a HDTV set soon, so I will have to go with the 16:9 PAL TV set (supports RGB at one SCART interface) for a while. Can I use a hacked ATV with that kind of screen? Plus, does a installed Broadcom Crystal HD card somehow interfere with that, i.e. if I install said card, does it still supports a PAL signal at the component interface?

Thanks for any info!
Just wanted to give an update and thanks. I went with an AppleTV and picked it up from the local Apple retail store this morning, and got a SanDisk Cruzer 2GB for loading it. When I got home it took me 5 minutes to unpack and hook up the AppleTV and then 15 minutes to do the XBMC load process from start to finish. Amazingly easy, and I've ordered a Broadcom card so I can finally do some HD. Smile I know I'll see some glitches, but it's still better than running with no HD at all. Smile

Thanks to everyone who gave feedback, and thanks to the XBMC crew (especially davilla) for making it an extremely easy process.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Planning a new build - Aspire Revo vs AppleTV vs ?0