[XBOX] HP DVD's pn Xbox
Question 
I was given 2 spools of 100 HP DVD's (not my first choice, obviously), and began making movie backups, not giving any thought as to whether or not they would play (I have never had issues with brand before). None work on my xbox, using a mid Jan release of XBMC. I am just wondering if anyone has gotten these bastards to work on their setup, or if anyone has any suggestions for possible tweaks I can try. Also wondering if there is a limit to max file size that the Xbox can play off of a DVD (some of my MKV files are almost 4.4 GB)Thank you for the help.
I'm guessing this is just an example of the zaniness of the xbox dvd drive. It's very tricky to get that thing to do anything you want. Personal recommendation: Buy a large external harddrive, share it on the network, forget about DVDs.
Thank you. That is exactly what I did; however, I am concerned with the amount of heat that my external drive is putting out, so want to give it a break once in a while. I was not sure if it was that the Xbox drive was "touchy", so thanks again for confirming my suspicions. I am guessing that there is no work around for what seems to be a hardware issue.
XBMC can only read files of up to 2gb from disc.

There are a few different types of Xbox DVD drives. As a general rule they tend to do best with DVD-R (as opposed to DVD+R), and most don't handle CD-R/RW well at all. It's mostly a matter of experimentation to find the best matches.
XBMC Manual - BlackBolt - SVN Guide - Skin SVN - Wide Icon SVN - ROM Shortcut Generator
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
Thanks Bomb. That's a bummer, but I'm glad I know, at least.
if you have your xbox connected to your pc via network, you can add the pc dvd-drive as a source and stream the contents of the dvd that way without problems. maybe not the best solution for you, but it works. i also replaced the original drive in my xbox with a pc dvd-drive, but that's tricky since not too many work that easy.
So, which PC DVD drive did you use that worked? Also, are you saying that a BluRay rip will be able to play over a network without stutter? That would be great. Thanks.
i use a philips dvdr16ls in my xbox.
xvid, regular dvds etc work for me via network. bluray-rips might work, depending on how they are encoded. it is well known that the xbox is too old to play hd-videos...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[XBOX] HP DVD's pn Xbox0