[WINDOWS] XBMC vs. UPnP?
Hi there, I'm not sure if this is a support question, a feature suggestion or something else altogether, please feel free to move.

Since I got XBMC I tried using it in a client-server fashion. With moderate to no success this far. What I'd like to have is one server containing all my movies and a couple of clients connecting to that server, showing my central library as well as having means of playing it on various clients.

The closest way of acomplishing this thus far was through "UPnP", but I could only play short videos until now. Right now, I'm working with the "AV Media Controller" ( http://opentools.homeip.net/dev-tools-for-upnp ) on an old Windows XP notebook.

Things I've noticed:

a) The AV Media Controller gives me mixed result for the initial library lookup ("Content Directories" | "XBMC Media Server" | "Video Library"). It starts out with a "Music Library" and a "Video Library" but neither contains anything. I can see what the AV Media Controller is doing through View | Event Panel -- there's nothing happening. After a couple of clicks to the "+" sign of "Video Library" it starts working

b) As soon as the Library is scanned, I need to wait 20 (!) minutes for the scan to complete. Tons of actor names, studios, etc. show up in the Event Source, I currently have around 350 movies and 24 TV shows, the largest having 122 episodes. Still, I don't understand why it takes so long. There seem to be short bursts and then a lag of a couple of seconds, then a data burst again, etc.

c) Is it possible, as a short term solution, to stop XBMC transmitting the actor / studio / director informations in the content directory? I'd be happy enough with the directory only containing genres and titles, this should make the whole thing more performant.

d) Is it possible, as a medium term solution, to somehow compress the data transmitted so it would run faster?

e) Are there better clients available that are performant yet don't need Direct X and work similar to VLC?

f) Has anyone tried something similar yet and was successful doing it? All I got, after waiting 20 minutes, was being able to remotely control my server. But I could not see the videos on the client :-( I could use the web interface for that, but I'd rather see the videos on my clients than use them as fancy remote controls.

Thanks
Hi there,

I actually have a client server setup but I simply shared out my folders and added the video sources as network paths through XBMC. I can view the videos fine (with some minor buffering issues with HD content) and the folder images in the video menu.

I still haven't organized my library so the scraping is not working out so well.

If this is what you are after I can give you more info.
Well, that would be a good start I guess :-) I'd be happy to read more details about that.
AV Media Controller is just horrible.. It usually crashes.

Use a better client.. For example Windows Media Player 11 on vista/W7, or another xbmc client.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I can't use either on my notebook, unfortunatelly. Got Windows XP on it and XBMC crashes on starting it. Any other alternative?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] XBMC vs. UPnP?0