Can someone please help me?
Okay... I'm at my wit's end. I've got 15 hours into this and I can NOT make it work.

I cannot get XBMC to go into Librbary Mode.

I'll try this again.

1.) I have two 500GB external drives containing DVD rips in a /Root/Movies/MovieTitle/AUIDO_TS+VIDEO_TS/.vob file structure.

2.) When I boot XBMC (from a USB drive) I arrive at the main page.

3.) When I go into VIDEOS, I see three things; Movies 1 (my first drive), Movies 2 (my second drive) and Add Source

4.) The drives are in File Mode. I am free to go into them and navigate to the VIDEO_TS.ifo file if I want, but that is a bit tedious. I want to see all my videos, regardless of path, when I go into the video screen.

5.) I have gone in an set content over and over and over. It does not matter, I cannot go into Library Mode.

6.) It was suggested that the drives were not mounted. This seems odd when I can navigate around them all day long, but what the hell, I'll give it a shot....

7.) I went in the console I typed:
Code:
sudo fdisk -l
This revealed that my first hard drive was /dev/sdb and my second hard drive was /dev/sdc.

8.) I then went in the console and used the mkdir command to create two directories, movies1 and movies2, in the
Code:
/media
directory.

9.) From the console, I typed:
Code:
sudo nano /etc/fstab

10.) Once in fstab, I typed:
Code:
/dev/sdb1  /media/movies1  ntfs-3g  defaults,locale=en_EN.utf8  0  0
for the first drive and
Code:
/dev/sdc1  /media/movies2  ntfs-3g  defaults,locale=en_EN.utf8  0  0
for the second drive.

11.) I typed 'ctrl O' to save and 'ctrl X' to exit

12.) I reloaded XBMC and, to make a short story long, I was right back where I started. The drives show up on their own in VIDEOS as Movies 1 and MOVIES 2. I can go in, navigate through all the folders, launch any movie, EVERYTHING. But I have to navigate the drives individually in File Mode.

13.) I tried to follow prae5's advice when he told me to:

Add Source
1. Click on add source and new window will open.
2. Click Browse
3. Select drive with movies in
4. Select ok
5. Set content
6. Set content to movies
7. Enable run automated scan
8. Enable use folder names for lookups
9. Enable scan recursively
10. Click OK

The problem is that when you go to "browse", the drives are not there to add! So steps 3 through 10 are meaningless.

14.) I know what you're thinking... "this is what a never-touched-Linux-in-his-life noob idiot gets for trying to use something he has no business trying. XBMC is not for you." Perhaps. But at this point I've invested too much time into this to give up. What am I doing wrong?
Press c on the Movies1 / Movies2 item in your sources list. Then set content from there.
I have done that. Still no Library Mode. I even went back and re-read one of your previous posts where you suggested:

1. Press c on any sources you have added. This will bring up a context menu.
2. Select Remove Source.
3. Repeat for any other source you have added.

When I pressed c, however, "Remove Source" is not an option, only "Remove Safely" is.

Here's something interesting, though. Before I modified the fstab to auto-mount these drives, if I pressed c and chose "Remove Safely", I could do so; the drive would disappear. Now, if I choose "Remove Safely" it does not remove the drive from VIDEOS. My guess is that it is because it is mounted.

I was going to add that I do think the drives are definitely mounted. I say this for two reasons. 1.) When in console and I do a 'ls /media', movies1 and movies2 show up and have blocks around them. That was not the case before I edited the fstab. 2.) When inside of XBMC, when I look at the File Manager. the path to the drive actually says /media/movies2/Movies 2.

Ideas?
locales is the solution.

I found it is some post here,, But I forgot where..
What does that mean/do?
It means that if you didn't put so many ?! in your post people might be more inclined to help you.

Read some posts about how to ask for help.

Locale is the answer though.
When you add source, push enter on the path. This will bring up a virtual keyboard where you can enter the path /media/Movies1 then click ok. Done

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/555/screenshot000a.png

cheers
1) If you can see the sources, and the movies files in file view (and play them) then don't spend any more time investigating fstab and how the drives are mounted. if XBMC can see them and play them then they work.

2) Set the content on each source (movies, automated scan, etc). When you exit this dialog is the scan actually running? Furthermore, is it finding anything? If you are doing everything right, but the scan isn't finding any movies you still won't be able to go to library mode. Make sure you are checking the 'User Folder names for lookups' option as this is needed for VOB type movie files.

3) post a debug log - there will be a lot of info in there that will help solve this problem. Check the wiki if you don't know how: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Log_File
@coupas
To say I'm a little frustrated after 3-4 hours a day of this for a week would be an understatement. I tried to be as clear as I could in my post to avoid an extra 10 "what are you doing?" posts. I apologize if you find my nomenclature inappropriate.

@robweber
I have set the content (for the drive, not individual movie folders.) How will I know if the scan is/is not finding anything? I do see the scanning bar progressing... and afterward it says "compressing database" which takes a while. But, as you said, if it does not find anything, Library Mode is right out.

@harryzimm
That is the greatest avatar I have ever seen. Thanks for that.
wisenheimer Wrote:@robweber
I have set the content (for the drive, not individual movie folders.) How will I know if the scan is/is not finding anything? I do see the scanning bar progressing... and afterward it says "compressing database" which takes a while. But, as you said, if it does not find anything, Library Mode is right out.

Posting the debug log would help determine if it is finding anything. The scan is definitely running based on what you have described. I would put your system in debug mode (System Settings -> System -> Debugging) and then set content and run the scan. When it is done exit XBMC and post the debug log. this will contain the needed information.
I will do that. And thank you.

I read that Wiki Page you posted. It told me where the file would be saved (Linux (which I assume the Live is) = /home/<username>/.xbmc/temp/) and then where/how to post it (pastebin.com), but not how to extract it.

If and when I find the xbmc.log file (which I assume is NOT saved in XBMC, proper) how do I copy it to a place that I can lay my hand on it? I will have to post it from a different PC as the one XBMC is on is not connected to the web.

Thanks, again, for your help. I'm DYING to get this working!
Okay. I followed your instructions. However, I do not know how to get to the log file. Before last week I never touched anything Linux in my life so I am not familiar with any of the commands.

I need to know how to 1.) get to the log file and 2.) get that file out of the PC it is on and to a windows PC so that I can post. The PC I am running XBMCLive on is not internet connected.

Thanks.
Plug your computer on your network and download your file with WinSCP from another computer : http://winscp.net
wisenheimer Wrote:Okay. I followed your instructions. However, I do not know how to get to the log file. Before last week I never touched anything Linux in my life so I am not familiar with any of the commands.

I need to know how to 1.) get to the log file and 2.) get that file out of the PC it is on and to a windows PC so that I can post. The PC I am running XBMCLive on is not internet connected.

Thanks.

If you still have the external hard drives attached could you just move the file to one of those drives and then bring it to your windows PC? Otherwise use a flash drive or something if you can't get XBMC access to the internet.

As far as getting the file, it should be in one of the folders you mentioned. XBMC has a built in file browser that you should be able to use to find the file and copy it to another location (ie flash drive or external) and get it windows. In Confluence it can be found under the 'system' menu.
Can anyone explain to me how to navigate to the log file and how to copy it to an external/USB drive?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can someone please help me?0