Thinking of getting Acer Revo
Ok so first of I've been a long time user of XBMC for xbox and of course I wanted to play HD videos. (Btw thank you to everyone who has been pouring their blood, sweat and tears into this.) So I came into possession of an HP Compaq dc7900 Ultra-slim Desktop PC. Its currently running XBMC Live with 4GB RAM, 20GB HDD, Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.20GHz, and integrated GPU 1GB I believe, connected to my 32" LCD TV via VGA. I'm having the problem of stuttering 1080p video and I've tried all the different settings and suggestions. On some scenes that include a lot of motions or actions the CPUs work jump up 70-80% and thats what causes my framedrop.
Now I would like to get a Revo but I just want to make sure that if you add an extra 1GB of RAM that I won't get that stutter. Can anyone confirm this or possibly help?
Search, this has been covered countless times.

Single core revo and 1gb of ram is more than enough for 1080p playback under linux.

On a side note, i think that machine you have has a mini pcie slot - you could drop a broadcom decoder card in there which will give you 1080p playback. ALthough would be alot noiser, use more power, etc...
Fiirikkusu Wrote:Ok so first of I've been a long time user of XBMC for xbox and of course I wanted to play HD videos. (Btw thank you to everyone who has been pouring their blood, sweat and tears into this.) So I came into possession of an HP Compaq dc7900 Ultra-slim Desktop PC. Its currently running XBMC Live with 4GB RAM, 20GB HDD, Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.20GHz, and integrated GPU 1GB I believe, connected to my 32" LCD TV via VGA. I'm having the problem of stuttering 1080p video and I've tried all the different settings and suggestions. On some scenes that include a lot of motions or actions the CPUs work jump up 70-80% and thats what causes my framedrop.
Now I would like to get a Revo but I just want to make sure that if you add an extra 1GB of RAM that I won't get that stutter. Can anyone confirm this or possibly help?

I have one that streams from a NAS box I have. No studdering even with full 1080p video. The key thing is to turn on VDPAU rendering, otherwise it won't utilize the GPU completely.

I wrote this guide for installing XBMC onto a Revo. It's fairly simple and I'm glad I got my Revo. It works great. http://www.interworks.com/blogs/rboyles/...spire-revo
prae5 Wrote:On a side note, i think that machine you have has a mini pcie slot - you could drop a broadcom decoder card in there which will give you 1080p playback. ALthough would be alot noiser, use more power, etc...
Nope my machine has no expansion slots at all.

darknessgp Wrote:I have one that streams from a NAS box I have. No studdering even with full 1080p video. The key thing is to turn on VDPAU rendering, otherwise it won't utilize the GPU completely.

I wrote this guide for installing XBMC onto a Revo. It's fairly simple and I'm glad I got my Revo. It works great. http://www.interworks.com/blogs/rboyles/...spire-revo
Thanks alot...I'm gonna get one now ASAP ^_^
If you do end up seeing any "stuttering" on the revo it's not because of GPU but because your monitor (TV) isn't setup perfectly in xorg. You can find lots of info about tweaking your xorg.conf here on the forums.

I've also been putting together a cheat sheet on all the little tweaks I've had to make on my revo here in case I ever need to re-do it from scratch. Everything kind of works 85% out of the box and then for all the little bits you have to hunt down stuff in the forums.
Well thats reassuring, thank you ^_^

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Thinking of getting Acer Revo0