• 1(current)
Wake-up from standby makes movie playback stutter
When I resume from standby and then play a movie, it stutters terribly. This does not happen after a fresh reboot - until I put it into standby and then resume it again. It has always been like that, no matter what version. Atlantis, Babylon, Camelot - I tried them all, DX and OpenGL alike. Same problem, always. I also notice the problem in the RSS feed scrolling over the main screen.

Any ideas anyone? It's driving me nuts. My PC is a 2.6GHz dualcore Athlon, 2GB memory, ATi HD3200 onboard graphics with recent drivers installed.
ive seen this as well. it would be nice if the developers tested wake-up and sleep and how xbmc can be optimized for this
I've seen something alike for a few times on win7-32bit - xbmc 9.11. In my case it wasn't the sleep/wakeup (not only). For a few times I had the XBMC running at the background with a paused movie or just sitting there waiting for me with next episode while I did something else for some time, like browsing the web. After returning to XBMC - the symptoms are exactly as described above - sluggish UI/RSS/Playback. It becomes really sluggish with my pentium4 3ghz...

A few notes:
1. Closing every possible process but XBMC doesn't help.
2. CPU usage (that's terribly high anyway when xbmc is on the background and idle - about 40%) doesn't becomes higher then always.
3. Restarting just XBMC without doing anything else DOES fixes it until next time.
4. There is nothing unusual at log.

So, it does looks like there is some severe performance degradation that is triggered by something I didn't manage to isolate yet. Let's share the scenarios and may be we'll find some guidelines for our fellow developers Smile
Using EventGhost, I have xbmc shutdown before the system goes to sleep and it relaunches when it wakes. I find this solves almost all my xbmc/sleep problems.
I have this same problem... I have no idea what causes it and really wish I could figure it out.
hentar Wrote:Let's share the scenarios and may be we'll find some guidelines for our fellow developers Smile

Standby/resume really seems to be the only cause in my situation ... I recently let my computer reboot every other night automatically. Then it goes into standby after a period of inactivity. Then when I wake it and play a movie, it stutters.

supernoman Wrote:Using EventGhost, I have xbmc shutdown before the system goes to sleep and it relaunches when it wakes.

Neat! Do you have any link that shows me how to have EventGhost end XBMC?
brulsmurf Wrote:Standby/resume really seems to be the only cause in my situation ... I recently let my computer reboot every other night automatically. Then it goes into standby after a period of inactivity. Then when I wake it and play a movie, it stutters.

Neat! Do you have any link that shows me how to have EventGhost end XBMC?

Check out the sticky posts about setting up a remote w/ eventghost.
polo6979 Wrote:I have this same problem... I have no idea what causes it and really wish I could figure it out.

Do you mean the standby one or more general like in my case?
My computer will crash/freeze on wake if allowed to sleep while XBMC is running. I set XBMC to shutdown after 10 minutes and Windows to sleep after 15 min. I now have zero issues.
thereddog Wrote:My computer will crash/freeze on wake if allowed to sleep while XBMC is running. I set XBMC to shutdown after 10 minutes and Windows to sleep after 15 min. I now have zero issues.

Seeing exactly this issue Care to share how you configure the xbmc/windows shutdown?

TIA

Tolax
hentar Wrote:I've seen something alike for a few times on win7-32bit - xbmc 9.11. In my case it wasn't the sleep/wakeup (not only). For a few times I had the XBMC running at the background with a paused movie or just sitting there waiting for me with next episode while I did something else for some time, like browsing the web. After returning to XBMC - the symptoms are exactly as described above - sluggish UI/RSS/Playback. It becomes really sluggish with my pentium4 3ghz...

A few notes:
1. Closing every possible process but XBMC doesn't help.
2. CPU usage (that's terribly high anyway when xbmc is on the background and idle - about 40%) doesn't becomes higher then always.
3. Restarting just XBMC without doing anything else DOES fixes it until next time.
4. There is nothing unusual at log.

So, it does looks like there is some severe performance degradation that is triggered by something I didn't manage to isolate yet. Let's share the scenarios and may be we'll find some guidelines for our fellow developers Smile

Wow... came here wondering about your exact post...

I have just noticed this happening exactly as you describe in the last 2 days... I just upgraded to Camelot and I just installed the Python engine.. I'm still trying to get up to speed with all this and I'm a quick study.

I noticed this after the Navi.311 update. As you posted a reset of XBMC returns everything back to normal with about 40 to 50% cpu resource used prier to reset then near idle after reset.

We should try and documant what we try and what we did before we noticed this problem maybe there is something we all have in common that explains the issue.
hentar Wrote:....For a few times I had the XBMC running at the background with a paused movie or just sitting there waiting for me with next episode while I did something else for some time, like browsing the web. After returning to XBMC - the symptoms are exactly as described above - sluggish UI/RSS/Playback. ....

This is exactly what im getting also. Its getting very annoying. leave it on pause or in the background while doing something else then come back and its just stuttering. The only fix I know is close XBMC and restart and there is no problem

If you keep on playing something there is no problem but once it doing nothing or is on pause on a show thats when it starts.

Machine enough grunt. It is a WIN7 RC On a E8500. with a 4870. (Itsa also a gaming machineBig Grin)

So there is something in the code that is the problem to cause this. Can wait until it is fixed. XBMC is the best and ive been using it since it came out on the the original xbox.
I have te same problem. Running a stripped down vista 32. Playback always stutter after standby/resume. Restarting xbmc fix the problem untill next suspend. No other tasks running cept eventghost. The problem was present in every build i tried.
Hope helps.
E5400@ 3Ghz
2Gb ram
intel g41 chipset with onboard x4500 graphics.
One more case here. HOWEVER, there have been cases where the slowdown has _not_ occurred after resume, though these are rare. Haven't tested this much lately, I just close XBMC before suspending the machine.

Vista 32bit (not much else than XBMC installed), Gigabyte 780G/Athlon X4 4850e.
As a comment... Same results.. system stutters only in XBMC after resume. reset XBMC and its fine.

All of you were using Vista or Windows 7 but mine is XP Pro with SPack 3.. Dual core 3 GHz Intel CPU on a Asus P5VD2-MX-SE main board with 2 gigs ram, twin 1.5 TB hard drives, EVGA 512 MB video, in a Thermaltake HTPC case VH4001BNS
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Wake-up from standby makes movie playback stutter5