Problems closing XBMC using the XBMC.Quit() function with my remote
Hi,

I have a custom keymap.xml file where I configure a specific button on my remote to close XBMC and I do use that button a lot as my HTPC is not used only for XBMC. That button calls the XBMC.Quit() function (or XBMC.Exit()? I don't quite remember what you guys call it, but it's one of those I believe).

What happens is that sometimes (more often than I would like) XBMC doesn't close at all, but the process seems to freeze. The image on screen doesn't change, pressing other remote buttons doesn't do anything, it just freezes. If I happen to press many times the buttons on the remote, it will eventually stall (at some extent) my computer as the led screen on the PC case I have scrolls the time and that just freezes too after too many remote presses.

However, in both situations, just a XBMC freeze or if the led screen also freezes, I normally can just press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to bring the task manager and kill the XBMC process.

But this is annoying...

I'm using SVN but not a very recent version, just a couple of revisions after Babylon. This was not happening previously to Babylon where I was also using SVN versions but hadn't updated in while until Babylon came along.

Any reason for this behavior? How can I properly close XBMC using my remote without this problem?
Mine is doing the same thing, but not all the time. Also mine does freeze at the same frequency if i open the shutdown menu using "s" and choose quit or exit. Been doing it for a long time now and assumed it was something to do with my computer.
Ditto here. Thought I was the only one. I'm using Win7 64-bit.
Ditto, and yeah I just put it down to the new Windows DX builds etc and didn't think too much of it.

For me it only does it after I come back from a Suspend. After the computer wakes up, XBMC looks normal, looks like it is working etc.. however playing a movie or such will cause a random freeze.. could be minutes, could be seconds... so I've gotten into the habit of quitting and rebooting... but yeah trying to quit causes the hang..

Now I just quit XBMC before I suspend Smile

Windows 7 32Bit, Nvidia graphics drivers, HDMI out. I know how unhelpful this is without logs and what not but I'm at work right now. I'll see if I can try to dig something useful out of the eventlog and xbmc log tonight.
Any XBMC developer care to provide any info about these problems?

Can't find anything about them o Trac...

Should I just post the problem on Trac to get the proper attention?
I used to get this every so often but after finding this thread (HOW-TO relaunch frozen XBMC w/ Remote) I've adjusted it so that it firstly tries to close XBMC normally and then after a second or so it runs the 'kill XBMC' command in case it's crashed.
i have this happening too. and have a touchscreen htpc case, as well as a 73" DLP on hdmi output. I had a 8600GTS at the time.

I have since upgraded to a 5770 ATI card and all of my power management issues have gone away, suspend , wake up, and of course bitstreaming DTS_MA and night and day difference from the onboard sound chip on my P5NE-Sli ASUS board.

Anyways, 10.4 Catylyst driver solved every issue i was having with suspend and quite on XBMC> I have mapped my pause button to the kill xbmc command as well.

That thread is great.

I cant say for sure wether it was the nvidia card or just upgrading to the ssch builds , but be careful with that too, script issues and library issues.

as to those who are freezing, are you on ATI or Nvidia graphics.
KODI1: Shield 2019 2D and 4K HDR / Zidoo Z9X 3DMVC /ATV4K 2D/ and 4K HDR/ DV AVR1: YAM RXA3080 DISP1: LG OLED77G6P /3D/HDR/DV
KODI2: Shield 2015 2D and 4K HDR / Zidoo X9S 3DMVC /ATV4K 2D and 4K/ HDR/ DV AVR2: Marantz NR1607 DISP2: LG OLED55C6P /3D/HDR/DV
KODI3: Shield 2015 2D and 4K HDR / Zidoo X9S 3DMVC /ATV4K 2D and 4K/ HDR/ DV AVR3: Denon AVR-X3300 DISP3: LG OLED65G6P /3D/HDR/DV
I'm on Nvidia, GeForce 8300 (onboard) to be exact.
Nazgulled Wrote:I'm using SVN but not a very recent version, just a couple of revisions after Babylon. This was not happening previously to Babylon where I was also using SVN versions but hadn't updated in while until Babylon came along.

Before anything else, upgrade. We have released a stable and on our way with a new stable since your version. Backup your userdata and install a new one, if it to exhibit the problem, wipe the userdata and try again. then follow correct procedures in my signature for a bugreport.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
I should have updated that part of the post already, I'm actually on Camelot, or maybe a recent SVN after that.

I'll see if I can reproduce the problem and post a debug log...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problems closing XBMC using the XBMC.Quit() function with my remote0