[LIVE] Shutdown & Quit Have Same Effect in XBMC Live?
XBMC Live installed on a fresh HD

XBMC.ShutDown()
XBMC.Quit()
Menu Exit
Menu Shutdown

All do the same thing, Drop me to a shell login prompt.
I simply want to exit and go to the desktop.

If I log back in from that prompt and restart XBMC the power button on the remote works as it should. I suspect the way XBMC is started after a reboot is part of the problem. Its like crtl alt backspace was pushed (logout).

Any help or suggestions?
FishOil Wrote:XBMC Live installed on a fresh HD

XBMC.ShutDown()
XBMC.Quit()
Menu Exit
Menu Shutdown

All do the same thing, Drop me to a shell login prompt.
I simply want to exit and go to the desktop.

I could be wrong, but I didn't think LIVE came with a 'desktop'...I was under the impression it was a "cut down" version of Ubuntu...?
I dont recall installing fluxbox but its there. It just has the bottom taskbar and a black screen.

If you exit the live install and log back in then startx there it is.

Never the less, the exit and shutdown have the same effect. The command prompt login screen.
The version of Ubuntu is not cut down, it's the "minimal" version of ubunutu. It only comes with terminal, not the bloated GDM which is not needed for XBMCLive

fluxbox is the graphical user interface installed by XBMC. Its minimal and useful.

I just finished building my own Live installation (using fluxbox as the default X manager) and it's annoying to have everything go back to terminal. I'm compiling my backups now (ISO and TGZ) and would gladly do it again if I could get things perfected.
Use mythicalLibrarian to make a library out of your MythTV files. Leave the recording to MythTV and use XBMC as your library.
Installation and Instructions:http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=MythicalLibrarian
Technical Support:http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=65644
[url=http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?tid=1081892][/url]
FishOil Wrote:I dont recall installing fluxbox but its there. It just has the bottom taskbar and a black screen.

If you exit the live install and log back in then startx there it is.

Never the less, the exit and shutdown have the same effect. The command prompt login screen.

Fluxbox is a WM and is run during the safe boot (just so you may have something to use to debug stuff), we don't use it at all during the normal usage, i.e. you have no desktop to drop down to.

If you need a desktop to drop down to I'd suggest installing ubuntu and xbmc ontop, xbmc live is really meant for being used on a htpc were you never use the desktop.

Cheers,
Tobias
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
I use fluxbox to run a VNC server via tightvncserver. I use it daily to make changes to my mythtv backend. It's a great window manager. Between sftp, terminal, and fluxbox VNC, there's no need for GDM, it's just too big.
Use mythicalLibrarian to make a library out of your MythTV files. Leave the recording to MythTV and use XBMC as your library.
Installation and Instructions:http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=MythicalLibrarian
Why u talk all the time about gdm?

There a serverall desktop manager which u can use: xdm, kdm, gdm... And all of them you can use with different window manager. Fluxbox is a window manager, whereas gdm is a desktop manager. You can't compare them. It's like comparing a racing with a driver.
topfs2 Wrote:Fluxbox is a WM and is run during the safe boot (just so you may have something to use to debug stuff), we don't use it at all during the normal usage, i.e. you have no desktop to drop down to.

If you need a desktop to drop down to I'd suggest installing ubuntu and xbmc ontop, xbmc live is really meant for being used on a htpc were you never use the desktop.

Cheers,
Tobias

That makes absolutely no sense. You dont want me to use the WM desktop that XBMC comes with because there isnt one, so I should install some other one so I can drop to a WM desktop when It came with one thats already installed?

That makes my head hurt.

How is installing ANOTHER WM going to solve the problem? Not to mention how does a desktop help people debug things?

It doesnt matter if XBMC uses it or not. I would like it to NOT log out of the session when exit is pressed but to simply exit the program (XBMC). Thats what an exit button is supposed to do. Likewise the shutdown button should shut the computer down. Maybe the buttons should be renamed to "logout"

The correct solution IMHO would be to fix XBMC to do what seems to be normal behavior. Exit should exit the program and shut down should power down the computer.
FishOil Wrote:It doesnt matter if XBMC uses it or not. I would like it to NOT log out of the session when exit is pressed but to simply exit the program (XBMC). Thats what an exit button is supposed to do. Likewise the shutdown button should shut the computer down. Maybe the buttons should be renamed to "logout"

The correct solution IMHO would be to fix XBMC to do what seems to be normal behavior. Exit should exit the program and shut down should power down the computer.

Totally agree. I have same thoughts about it re shutdown button on my Asrock ION330HT. I made Ubuntu install and xbmc afterwards. Managed to get remote running all the time, but left only one annoying thing. I'd like those buttons to be configured properly.
1. Exit button - closing the xbmc - works OK
2. Shutdown button - shut down the computer - suspends computer (not working)
3. Sleep button - suspends the machine - works fine
4. Reboot - works fine
5. Power button on the remote - suspends the machine - working fine

I believe option 2 and 5 are connected. How to separate and have them working my way?

Regards
Salata
FishOil Wrote:That makes absolutely no sense. You dont want me to use the WM desktop that XBMC comes with because there isnt one, so I should install some other one so I can drop to a WM desktop when It came with one thats already installed?

That makes my head hurt.

How is installing ANOTHER WM going to solve the problem? Not to mention how does a desktop help people debug things?

It doesnt matter if XBMC uses it or not. I would like it to NOT log out of the session when exit is pressed but to simply exit the program (XBMC). Thats what an exit button is supposed to do. Likewise the shutdown button should shut the computer down. Maybe the buttons should be renamed to "logout"

It makes absolute sense if you know how it works Wink

so I'm going to explain it again. Shutdown shuts down the computer, exit exits, the app. It works like this already, there is nothing to fix its' correct, what you fail to see, probably because of lack of linux knowledge (I don't mean to sound like your an idiot so you don't misunderstand me, its perfectly alraight to not know about it Smile), is that you have a WindowManager, which puts out the windows at the correct place, allows you to alter size and all that. On windows you must start with it, on linux you don't. So since XBMC Live is a htpc product and works just fine without a WM we don't start it, just waste of resources. So when you exit you don't have anything to drop down to except terminal, nothing else is running.

If you want to exit to a desktop either you make a WM start before xbmc in live (fluxbox is a wm), or you take the easiest way and install normal ubuntu and xbmc on top.

Hope it became somewhat clearer?

Cheers,
Tobias

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
topfs2 Wrote:It makes absolute sense if you know how it works Wink

so I'm going to explain it again. Shutdown shuts down the computer, exit exits, the app. It works like this already, there is nothing to fix its' correct, what you fail to see, probably because of lack of linux knowledge (I don't mean to sound like your an idiot so you don't misunderstand me, its perfectly alraight to not know about it Smile), is that you have a WindowManager, which puts out the windows at the correct place, allows you to alter size and all that. On windows you must start with it, on linux you don't. So since XBMC Live is a htpc product and works just fine without a WM we don't start it, just waste of resources. So when you exit you don't have anything to drop down to except terminal, nothing else is running.

If you want to exit to a desktop either you make a WM start before xbmc in live (fluxbox is a wm), or you take the easiest way and install normal ubuntu and xbmc on top.

Hope it became somewhat clearer?

Cheers,
Tobias

No, its not clearer because it not only exits the app it also exits the logged in session. That is NOT what should happen.

Have not run windows in about 4 years so the lack of linux is not the issue.

Forget about the window manager (I can start that in several ways), you apparently dont understand the issue because you are missing my point. The issue IS that when the exit button is pressed XBMC logs out of the logged in session. Dropping to a terminal would be fine except I am required to login again. This is an issue the should be fixed. It makes no sense to be logged out. Why would that be useful? What can be gained? If I am dropped to a terminal obviously there is something that needs to be accomplished. Having a logged in session is needed so why should I have to re-log in?
FishOil Wrote:No, its not clearer because it not only exits the app it also exits the logged in session. That is NOT what should happen.

Have not run windows in about 4 years so the lack of linux is not the issue.

Forget about the window manager (I can start that in several ways), you apparently dont understand the issue because you are missing my point. The issue IS that when the exit button is pressed XBMC logs out of the logged in session. Dropping to a terminal would be fine except I am required to login again. This is an issue the should be fixed. It makes no sense to be logged out. Why would that be useful? What can be gained? If I am dropped to a terminal obviously there is something that needs to be accomplished. Having a logged in session is needed so why should I have to re-log in?

No we don't log out of the session. xbmc live starts x, x starts xbmc and when xbmc is closed (has nothing to do with logout, just normal quit) x stops, since nothing more is running. this is normal procedure in x. When X quits, all thats left is the other tty's which are displayed.

It is _normal_ and nothing wrong.

Although I'd give you that the exit button might not be good to have in xbmc live and I'll check if I can make a good flag to be used by skinners.

fame Wrote:Why u talk all the time about gdm?

There a serverall desktop manager which u can use: xdm, kdm, gdm... And all of them you can use with different window manager. Fluxbox is a window manager, whereas gdm is a desktop manager. You can't compare them. It's like comparing a racing with a driver.
Because that's the most popular desktop. It's what comes with the standard ubuntu install from ubuntu.com. It came up in the thread that "if you need a desktop" I said you shouldn't need a desktop. GDM will bloat memory resources. You can run all commands from a terminal and a window manger.

I'm still looking for the proper script to make my power button, the restart command in XBMC and shutdown comand in XBMC work correctly. I cannot find the "default" shutdown scripts online.

I followed the Linux install guide.
topfs2 Wrote:xbmc live starts x, x starts xbmc and when xbmc is closed (has nothing to do with logout, just normal quit) x stops, since nothing more is running.

Thats precisely my point. They way you just described the process confirms my gripe.

The exit button procedure quits x and XBMC.

As you said

1. xbmc-live runs and
2. x starts and
3. x starts XBMC

The Exit button in XBMC should ONLY stop #3

Whats the point in having an exit button? What is it for? How would you use it?

It should not be configured to kill x. This is done with intent and it serves no purpose. I am simply asking for a solution to either fix it in my situation alone or a bug fix / enhancement.

Sorry if my tone comes across as insensitive or something of that nature. Big Grin
FishOil Wrote:The Exit button in XBMC should ONLY stop #3

Ok for the third time, it ONLY stop #3.

Check the code, we call exit(0) on xbmc.quit(), end of story.

FishOil Wrote:Sorry if my tone comes across as insensitive or something of that nature. Big Grin

Hehe didn't do that Smile and I hope you don't interprent mine as insensitive aswell Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] Shutdown & Quit Have Same Effect in XBMC Live?1