• 28(current)
[AppleTV] CrystalHD Driver for XBMC Launcher
It's normal that the Mac can't read the format that the USB drive is now in. Have you tried booting the ATV1 up with it?
Forgot that I didn't have the Media drive switched on, had tried booting it. A penquin on an ATV1 comes up, and then loads of text scrolls and it just sort of stops right where you see it below.

I just booted the media drive will go back upstairs and reboot again.
Okay, I just checked the Crystalbuntu support forums and it seems the problem is that their servers got hit. In other words, you did everything right, but not everything got loaded onto the drive.

All you have to do is re-make the USB drive just as you did before, and it should now work.
I still have this issue installing crystalbuntu through USB. where to find out if servers are up?
http://stmlabs.com

You may need to wait for your ISP's DNS servers to update.
It appears that the servers are still screwed up. Tried downloading this morning... NADA.

http://download.stmlabs.com/atv-images/u...USB.img.gz
DrGrafix, I'm having the exact same problem.

Sam posted about it here...

I've wiped my ATV and are now trying to rebuild it with CrystalBuntut again. A few days ago I did manage to successfully build a USB installer, it did the business, got to a screen where I said to reboot and let it continue configuring for the first time, I did this and stalled at exactly the same screenshot as you. It then goes to a blank screeen, my ATV continues flashing, but the screen does not change. I even left it on for around an hour.

I've since wiped my USB pen and now the installer doesn't even work, when using Sam's tool, I just get an error message.

I just hope that I'm able to reformat my ATV successfully if and once I get my USB installer going again...
Amazing that there's no alternative server at some other site with the complete file? OK... UPDATE!

Its closing in on 4:00PM EST and the server now seems to be up... downloading the file as I write this!
I downloaded the file, and again... it seems to automatically uncompress itself and saves without me doing anything as USB.img and at this point the instructions seem a bit vague.

Open Terminal, navigate to the downloaded file, and enter the following command followed by return:

gunzip USB.img.gz (On my iMac, it is in the downloads section under USB-4.img)

Once back to the command prompt, continue with:

diskutil list (Works fine, my 8GB Sandisk Cruzer shows up as Disk4)

This will list all connected memory devices. Look for the one that is your USB stick. Normally, with no other USB drives connected, it is listed as disk1. If your USB drive shows up as something else then you must replace that number in the instructions below. Failure to do so will likely result in data loss.
Enter these commands in your Terminal window, in sequence:

diskutil umountDisk /dev/disk1 (Yes, I get a confirmation that everything was unmounted bc I unmounted Disk4)

dd if=USB.img of=/dev/rdisk1 bs=16384 (In my case, I edited this line as follows: dd if=USB-4.img of=/dev/rdisk4 bs=16384)

Wait for the process to finish. It may take a while. (There's no progress bar or visual confirmation that you did anything right/wrong so I waited 10 minutes)

Remove the USB drive and stick it into the ATV1, then power the ATV1 on (or reboot it).
The first time the drive is ran it will do some first-time installation things. This only happens the very first time the new USB drive is ran.

You will see screen after screen scrolling by as all the updates from 2010 thru 2012 are applied perhaps sequentially. Leave everything alone, it will take at least 20-30 minutes to do its thing.

The ATV1 should now reboot itself, and you should be now using XBMC via Crystalbuntu via USB drive. (In the end, when its done... it will reboot and you will see the basic XMBC screen.)

Now at this point I have run into a minor snag as I'm trying to "ADD VIDEO SOURCE" and when I add my "Media-1" drive using SMB or whatever, I see 6 movies, not the hundreds that I have. Can't yet figure out why XMBC is not seeing all the movies, so I'll have to examine my directory structure? If anyone wants to chime in at this point, feel free to do so.

Mike
Make sure the naming is correct: Adding videos to the library (wiki)
(2012-06-25, 04:38)Ned Scott Wrote: Name sure the naming is correct: Adding videos to the library (wiki)

Not quite sure what you mean Ned. I even tried re-naming my media drive from Media-1 to MyMedia1 and powered on/off/on the USB drive and XMBC can't find the new drive, still shows the old drive. I trashed some folders that were on the Media-1 drive (those were the 7 movies that showed up as folders. So now I only have the movies. I am happy that I managed to get the USB Cyrstalbuntu set up and I think it works... have to check it when I try a problematic movie.

I think I need a refresher course in Navigation - How to link a media drive to XMBC. Here's what I'm trying to do:

1. From XMBC horizontal menu, I select the "Files" option.
2. Next I see; "Add Videos, Playlists, Video Add-Ons" so I select "Add Videos".
3. Now I have the "Add Video Source" window and I select "Browse".
4. Which brings up the RH side menu "Browse for New Share" (HDHomerun Devices, Home Folder, NFS, ReplaTV Devices, Root filesystem, SAP Streams, UPnP Devices, Video Playlists, Windows network (SMB), Zeroconf Browser, Add Network location...,

And this is where was stuck for a while. Couldn't seem to find the "Media-1" drive and all its contents but yet I can see it on my iMac and all the movies play fine using VLC. For instance, selecting Windows Network (SMB) simply gives me my network names and if I select the one that shows the iMac I see "Media-1" listed, so I said OK and by some strange miracle it got added. Hooray! My only thing to do now is figure out how to get the movie-specific posters appearing on the RH side. I have the scrapers selected, installed and enabled, but all I'm getting is either nothing or a still clip from the movie. Confusing to my granddaughter who remembers that all our Barbie movies had posters before that look like our original videos. Maybe the scraper needs to spend some time digging LOL?

OK, it seems that while I have been writing this post and playing around, I did get XMBC to work with the USB stick so that is a MAJOR accomplishment. I did order a Broadcom HD card and I don't know if that will make anything any better. Right now a few movies I have scrolled through seem to play just fine, and I'll keep an eye out for any stuttering. Maybe my posts will help some other folks... I don't know. But I think it would be great if the Wiki on this was more pictorial and the same goes for adding a source.

Thanks to Ned for all the help and patience!

Mike

Anytime!
Ned...

Whats your advice for scrapers and getting the corresponding movie posters to appear when scrolling through the list? Also which of the skins also gives a short synopsis of the movie and/or rating? Can't seem to get this going in Eden and Confluence.

Mike
It should give you additional options when you bring up the side menu and change view type. Do you have an example image you can link to of the kind of view you are after?
(2012-06-28, 21:09)Ned Scott Wrote: It should give you additional options when you bring up the side menu and change view type. Do you have an example image you can link to of the kind of view you are after?

Actually, I'd be happy with being able to use this one in Confluence:

Aeon is also nice but I'm concerned it might not be stable... maybe I'm wrong?

Mike
  • 28(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV] CrystalHD Driver for XBMC Launcher3