Acer Revo (Upgraded to 2GB) - Worth it?
I purchased one of these:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/167153

As im sure many have, or at least see lots of people have them...

XBMC with Aeon runs great...

My question is.. For people "in the know" - Would i see any improvements with 2GB? I mean things dont seem to be slow, since i've gone from an Xbox with XBMC to this.. It's difficult to tell whether anything is slow, since everything seems snappy.. Perhaps going into Movies / TV sections takes 2/3 seconds to come up.. But that just seems normal..

Anyone experience going from 1GB to 2GB or have a 2GB version could shed some light on it..

Thanks
If you're running Linux 1gig should be plenty. If you're running Windows 7 or Vista you might consider upgrading.

I put 2gigs in mine because I have Windows 7 on it to play around with (XBMC runs on Ubuntu 9.10)... that and I had the RAM laying around.

It's not a required upgrade at all.
Some users say that you need 2 GB for smooth 1080p playback (such as Blu-ray rips). However, I've still got my 1 GB since I don't have any HD source material as of yet. There is a sample video out there that is 1080p called the "killa" sample I believe. I'm going to download it to test 1080p playback on my Revo with 1 GB to see how it works.
hogfan Wrote:Some users say that you need 2 GB for smooth 1080p playback (such as Blu-ray rips). However, I've still got my 1 GB since I don't have any HD source material as of yet. There is a sample video out there that is 1080p called the "killa" sample I believe. I'm going to download it to test 1080p playback on my Revo with 1 GB to see how it works.

It'll play the killa sample with one gig.
dan1son Wrote:It'll play the killa sample with one gig.

exactly. it's really that easy: when you're using a revo/asrock/ion system as an XBMC box, even the n270 with 1GB will do the 1080p job just fine. just when you want to dual boot into win7 and do some stuff there, you might consider going for 2GB.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Same experience. My Revo R3610 dual-boots into Windows 7 and XBMC Live. 1GB is plenty for smooth 1080p content under Live. Windows 7 GUI interface just by itself eats most of the memory.

Wireless network speed is OK for file transfers, but not for streaming. So far, the fastest way to move large files has been a 1TB USB drive (as in, disconnect, walk to the office, copy file locally, walk to the living room, connect).
Another +1 for using 1GB. check the link in my signature if you're having trouble getting 1080p to play smoothly. I don't think the extra gig is going to make much of a difference for pure XBMC usage. Like the others have said, if you have something else in mind outside of XBMC, maybe, but for a strictly XBMC box, you're good to go with 1.
------------------------------------------
Dharma Quick Setup Guide:
XBMC tips on the TechNazgul Blog
I'm using the R1600 (single core) with 1gig of ram
No playback issues at all, including the killa sample and blu-ray.

Never tried anything in XP, it's first boot was during the ubuntu install so i'm not sure how things would work out under Windows, for Windows i'd prob upgrade to at least 2gig's and more then likely 4gb (Windows 7 that is, I wouldn't even attempt using it with Vista)

I used myrison's guide with the other links in it, except that I used Ubuntu 9.10 (for mono 2.4 support out of the box, allowing me to run UMM on it Big Grin) and I just installed the nvidia drivers that 9.10 had listed as the restricted drivers (which are rev 185)

GPU is set to 256 in the bios
Cool, glad to hear it worked for you Fekker. Big Grin I'm trying to keep it updated with things I learn as I go along, so I'm glad it worked for someone.
Dharma Quick Setup Guide:
XBMC tips on the TechNazgul Blog
I've been using mine with 1GB successfully for some time, but I thought I'd chime in here to say that a while back one of the XBMC devs (can't remember who) claimed that 2GB might solve some of the green-screen/blockiness issues that occur when starting up a movie. FWIW, that issue doesn't occur on the Windows (XP) side for me with MPC-HC or the DSPlayer mod, and I don't consider it bothersome enough to feel the need to pay the few extra bucks for another gig or crack open my Revo to do the upgrade.
A few drivers ago 1080p VDPAU playback required 512MB dedicating to the iGPU - I noticed that VDPAU can now use system memory instead of the framebuffer so I guess this requirement no longer applies.

It'd be the first thing i'd suggest you upgrade if you experience any issues though.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Acer Revo (Upgraded to 2GB) - Worth it?0