[LIVE] No video output when booting from HDD; Works when booting from CD-ROM
When I boot XBMC Live from CD-ROM, it gives me a menu of video cards. I select ATI/AMD, and everything works great from there.

When I installed XBMC Live onto my HDD, I don't believe I was ever given a choice of video cards (or maybe I missed it?). When I boot from HDD, I briefly see the XBMC splash screen; then briefly a line of text that says "Starting up" or similar; and then there is no further video output.

I am able to ssh in remotely. Is there a command I can give via command line, or a configuration file I can edit, that will have the same effect as choosing ATI/AMD video during the CD-ROM boot does? Or perhaps a configuration option I missed during the installation process?

Thanks for any help.

System Details: Released version XBMC Live 9.11 downloaded last night; Asus M3N78 motherboard (with onboard video disabled via bios); AMD Radeon 4850 video card.
Trust me: you will be happier by using the onboard NVIDIA GPU (VDPAU) - and Live is optimized for that MB since it's in my production machine Smile

As per the debug: start in "safe mode" (remove "autostart" from the kernel cmdline, at boot with grub editing facilities), logon with your credentials and type "startx". Open an xterm and type "glxinfo"; pastebin the result.
l.capriotti Wrote:Trust me: you will be happier by using the onboard NVIDIA GPU (VDPAU) - and Live is optimized for that MB since it's in my production machine Smile

As per the debug: start in "safe mode" (remove "autostart" from the kernel cmdline, at boot with grub editing facilities), logon with your credentials and type "startx". Open an xterm and type "glxinfo"; pastebin the result.

I have a similar problem: changed a setting to 720P DVI (something like that) and XBMC won't start. Dmesg shows: DVI-D-1: no EDID data. How do I reset to another (safe) videomode ?
Arctic MC001 + Openelec
Thanks Luigi. Unfortunately I need the component video output jack on the Radeon to remain compatible with my existing whole-house a/v distribution system.

After spending a couple more hours last night going through other threads on the forum, and realizing there's a lot of linux knowledge I'd have to catch up on to make use of them, I decided to just stick with Windows. I did a fresh install on Win7 (had been on Vista) and hopefully that will make the random slow downs I had been experiencing go away.

I'll check back with Live next time I'm doing an upgrade cycle - it appeals to me as probably the right approach to a dedicated htpc box, and maybe by then I'll have an HDMI-focused distribution system so can go with the mainstream video chipset.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] No video output when booting from HDD; Works when booting from CD-ROM0