How to get WiFi working in the Live-CD version?
All the how-tos I found so far do not work for me. Is there any good describtion to get WiFi working?

I'm running the Live-CD version from a SD-card on my ASUS EeePC 701 4G.
Let me try to re-post my steps. I assume your network is WPA2 protected.

IF YOU HAVE WIRED NETWORK CONNECTION:

1. Exit XBMC.
  2. Log into text shell.
  3. Run command
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install wpasupplicant
Skip till WIRELESS CONFIGURATION instructions.

IF YOU HAVE NO WIRED NETWORK CONNECTION:
(PREP)
  1. On a different 32-bit ubuntu system, download several packages needed for wireless connectivity.
    Code:
    $  aptitude download wpasupplicant
    $  aptitude download libpcsclite1
    $  aptitude download libnl1
    Otherwise, browse http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/ and download files libnl1_1.1-5_i386.deb, libpcsclite1_1.5.3-1ubuntu1_i386.deb and wpasupplicant_0.6.9-3ubuntu1_i386.deb

2. Copy these three files on a USB stick in a directory Downloads.

(REAL WORK)
  3. Exit XBMC.
  4. Log into text shell.

5. Mount your flash drive manually:
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt

6. Install 3 files that you copied to Downloads:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i /mnt/Downloads/*.deb

WIRELESS CONFIGURATION

(DANGEROUS) Do not try other commands from now on until I tell you, or you will break stuff badly. You will be the superuser.
  1. Become a superuser:
    Code:
    sudo su -

2. Create wireless config.
    Code:
    wpa_passphrase your_ssid your_psk > /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
    where your_ssid is the name of your wireless network, e.g. linksys and
    your_psk is the security passkey that you use for your wireless network.

3. Correct wireless config.
    Code:
    nano /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
    Using Ctrl-K, delete a line that has your password in plaintext, e.g.
    Code:
    #psk your_psk
    Leave the other lines, and add a few more as shown below
    Code:
    ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant

network={
           ssid="your_ssid"
           scan_ssid=1
           psk="mumbo_jumbo_which_is_your_psk_encrypted"
    }
    Exit using Ctrl-X. Save by answering Yes. (Yes, you need to exit in order to save).

4. Code:
    nano /etc/network/interfaces
    Add the following 4 lines at the bottom:
    Code:
    iface wlan0 inet dhcp
    wireless-essid "your_ssid"
    pre-up wpa_supplicant -B -Dwext -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
    post-down killall -q wpa_supplicant

5. Start network by
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/networking start

6. Use ifconfig, ping or your favorite networking command to check that you are actually on the network.

Based on this guide with significant changes suitable for Ubuntu.
I don't know what is going on, since i am not into Linux at all. But when i select the session XBMC from the login it loads and than it brings me back to the login again. ANd when i login into Gnome it tells me that "Wicd needs to access your computer's networks cards"

Do you know what the problem might be? Could you please post your whole wpa_supplicant.conf? Because i think i deleted a few rules wich shouldn't be deleted.

Thanks already,
Fjerpje
Asrock ION 330HT, XBMCFreak Nuvoton 10.00 Experimental version 2
Fjerpje Wrote:I don't know what is going on, since i am not into Linux at all. But when i select the session XBMC from the login it loads and than it brings me back to the login again. ANd when i login into Gnome it tells me that "Wicd needs to access your computer's networks cards"

Do you know what the problem might be? Could you please post your whole wpa_supplicant.conf? Because i think i deleted a few rules wich shouldn't be deleted.

Thanks already,
Fjerpje

Yes, your problem is WICD software. I don't have it, and it's not necessary for XBMC. I don't know how you installed it, so I recommend uninstalling (look back for the installation instructions, perhaps uninstall steps are there).

A good alternative is a clean-install of XBMC live.
Well that is ezsy for your to say but i've spend quite allot time into getting my configuration this way and allot investigation so it i'm not going to do that all over. But what is the default Wifi of gnome, so i can reinstall that one.
Asrock ION 330HT, XBMCFreak Nuvoton 10.00 Experimental version 2
Fjerpje Wrote:Well that is ezsy for your to say but i've spend quite allot time into getting my configuration this way and allot investigation so it i'm not going to do that all over. But what is the default Wifi of gnome, so i can reinstall that one.

Default Gnome uses Gnome Network Manager, provided by package network-manager-gnome.
michael37 Wrote:Let me try to re-post my steps. I assume your network is WPA2 protected.

Thanks a lot. I followed all the mentioned steps, but cannot get it working.
As I checked with my Ubuntu 9.04 installation on the same machine it seems to be that i need madwifi instead of wext.

I tried to get it working but failed already with the repository /etc/apt/sources.list. No

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to get WiFi working in the Live-CD version?0