Unable to boot Ubuntu or Live install from USB
I have been able to boot both the Ubuntu install and the Live install from USB since I got my Revo. However ever since I installed XBMC on my harddrive and completely wiped out Windows, it fails on both the live and install boots.

I have used both the USB installer for Ubuntu program and unetbootin. Both fail at startup. I really do not know my way around Linux at all. It just worked for me prior.

I had XBMC live working perfectly. 1080p playback streamed from my main computer on the Asipre Revo, but I figured I'd try my hand at a full scale Ubuntu installation so I could get other functionality, such as web browsing or chat.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry if this is pointing out the obvious, but are you clicking the appropriate key during startup to select the USB key are your boot up device so that you can reinstall Ubuntu (assuming that is what is needed at this point?)

I can't recall the key, but know that right at startup you need to click delete or one of the F keys to select your boot options and select the USB.

Is it failing to find the USB or have you installed Ubuntu again and it's failing to load Ubuntu? It's not clear to me at what step is it failing?
------------------------------------------
Dharma Quick Setup Guide:
XBMC tips on the TechNazgul Blog
I'd like to think I'm a bit more advanced than that. It's F12 to manually select boot device and yeah it is loading the boot loader. Like I said, before the XBMC installation I was able to boot XBMC Live and the Ubuntu USB loader without a problem.

However ever since I wiped the drive of the Windows operating system, neither will load. For loading live it gets stuck at the ubuntu loading wheel, for the installation it gets stuck after the GUI install guide, midway through the screen just goes black.
Sorry, didn't mean to insult your CPU-IQ, just wasn't sure where you were stuck. I'm probably not going to be much more help at this point as my solution would be to start completely over, wipe all partitions, and begin with a new Ubuntu install. My guess is that something in the partitions is screwed up after wiping Windows and the loader doesn't know where to look for what. I don't know enough about Linux either to troubleshoot that problem (though I've had similar experiences on Windows with a dual boot system when the Windows boot loader got confused).

hopefully someone else can offer more assistance.
No worries, I did not take it as a insult by any means.

With the Ubuntu installation, I actually tried to wipe entire disc to install it (overwrite my XBMC HDD install). It wiped the partitions and started to load the full OS. However now I'm a little stuck as XBMC or Ubuntu won't load and I currently don't have any OS loaded.
Wow, sorry to hear that. The only other advice I can offer is to use a Linux tool like Gparted on a USB boot drive to make sure that you've really cleared out all of the partitions so that nothing else is left behind from the screwed up Windows/Ubuntu combination. From there, you should be able to boot from a fresh copy of Ubuntu on a USB drive and start the reinstall over. If that doesn't work, I'd suspect hardware problems with the Acer (though that seems unlikely) or something wrong with the bootable USB image (more likely).

Good luck, sorry I can't be of more help.
Little update. I was able to load and install the XBMCFreak version of the Live CD with no problems, although the performance is very slightly jittery in some occasions on 1080p, it is still very watchable.

My issue is that I would like a more "full-on" OS incorporated on my machine. I would like to be able to easily pop out of XBMC into a full Ubuntu installation where I could run Firefox, or chat applications like Skype (Have a little guy, that I think would be cool to use the HTPC to use a webcam mounted under my LCD to video chat with relatives).

Any ideas how the heck I can get a full copy of Ubuntu installed via USB? If someone had a definite working version, with XBMC preinstalled, I'd really appreciate the link. This is driving me nuts.
Funny you ask, "theermite" just posted an image that was created after following the guide I created for an Ubuntu/XBMC install. Check it out here.
Awesome that he finally posted it. Downloading now. Will post my results. Will keep this seeded for others once I receive the complete file. Sharing is caring Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unable to boot Ubuntu or Live install from USB0