Nvidia ION based nettops & no audio using HDMI... SOLVED!!!!!
Lightbulb 
After some weeks searching , making tests, installing, uninstalling and experimenting, finally when i was near to going crazy... I'VE FOUND THE SOLUTION for no sound using HDMI out in my Zotac Mag. I hope that this trick will help to many people like me, having problems using the HDMI out...

the trick is that the module snd-hda-codec-nvhdmi has to be loaded BEFORE snd-hda-intel if it's not done in that way, it will not work! So, to solve this you must edit the file /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf and at end add this line:

Code:
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-codec-nvhdmi

this solved my all my problems and now i get sound using hdmi out!!

kind regards, Wink
Shocked fidoboy, can't wait to race home and try this one...
I sooo hope that this is going to work on my Revo.
Any attempt over the last few months to use 9.11 live ended up in a soundless setup.
curious but what sound do you mean? I have a revo 3610 and can get audio over HDMI without the above change, at least for videos within XBMC. If this is with regard to sounds within the OS itself and XBMC navigation sounds then I will give it a try when I get home
Well, of course you also need to verify that digital outputs are unmuted with alsamixer.
Big Grin 
fidoboy Wrote:After some weeks searching , making tests, installing, uninstalling and experimenting, finally when i was near to going crazy... I'VE FOUND THE SOLUTION for no sound using HDMI out in my Zotac Mag. I hope that this trick will help to many people like me, having problems using the HDMI out...

the trick is that the module snd-hda-codec-nvhdmi has to be loaded BEFORE snd-hda-intel if it's not done in that way, it will not work! So, to solve this you must edit the file /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf and at end add this line:

Code:

kind regards, Wink

Thank you very very much, this helped me a lot. I have a Zotac too Smile
mine still doesn't work! i am having a zotac mag. anyone can help me? i install/uninstall different live versions for so many times! i wonder if the HDMI connector is defective of my unit
zcheng Wrote:i wonder if the HDMI connector is defective of my unit

can't be. The audio and video signals are modulated together using TDMI modulation (TDMS=Transition Minimized Differential Signaling). If one is working electrically, the other one is to.
have you tried alsamixer yet? open a terminal and type alsamixer and hit enter. Make sure that none of the IEC958 boxes are grayed out (they should show 00) - you toggle with the letter M in the keyboard.

Cheers,
Hi, I have a Zotac MAG as well, I seem to get sound frm my HDMI but it just sounds like an untuned radio. Has anybody experienced something similar?

thanks
Paul
how do u get in to edit files
i ahve no sound and want to try the above method
fidoboy Wrote:After some weeks searching , making tests, installing, uninstalling and experimenting, finally when i was near to going crazy... I'VE FOUND THE SOLUTION for no sound using HDMI out in my Zotac Mag. I hope that this trick will help to many people like me, having problems using the HDMI out...

Code:

kind regards, Wink

Doesn't work on my asus ion. I verified its loaded before snd-hda-intel
Necochino Wrote:have you tried alsamixer yet? open a terminal and type alsamixer and hit enter. Make sure that none of the IEC958 boxes are grayed out (they should show 00) - you toggle with the letter M in the keyboard.

Cheers,

OMG I can't believe it was that easy. Eek

I have a Revo R3610 and have been using an installed copy of XBMC Live and that worked fine. However I wanted to install a MythTV backend so I installed Ubuntu 10.04 and lost the sound, all I had to do was that and the sound is blasting out now.

Music in Gnome, XBMC PCM and Pass-through all working fine.
Since I hit this problem and also have a Denon receiver, it seemed likely this was the issue with older Nvidia drivers and the newer Denons.

The new live image has Nvidia driver version 195. Updating to 256 as documented in this thread resolved the issue.

It would be cool if the final release had the newer Nvidia drivers on the live CD.

Code:

kind regards, Wink

What Zotac board or system do you have?

Could you please post the output of the following:

lspci -nn | grep 'Audio'

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nvidia ION based nettops & no audio using HDMI... SOLVED!!!!!0