• 12(current)
[REQUEST] Netflix 'Watch Now' plugin, script, or native code (with metadata scraper)?
jmarshall Wrote:Embedding a webbrowser doesn't solve the Netflix issue under Linux though, right?

It's also an incredibly inefficient solution for web-based video, though I agree it makes it much easier to obtain and view the content, it's just a really, really bad way to view it (you're now reliant on Adobe's flash player and the horrid "swf players" that folk subject you to on the web).

A comparison of the CPU usage of playback of Hulu within XBMC and Boxee is an example of this.

Actually its siverlight....and on Linux silverlight (or moonlight) does not support DRM so again no Netflix on Linux if you go the web browser route.
jmarshall Wrote:Embedding a webbrowser doesn't solve the Netflix issue under Linux though, right?

The problem for me is these companies want control over my home theater experience. If you use a browser and embedded players then I might as well just be using my pc. My browser is in no sense a 10' interface. My original love for xbmc was for interface. There are a lot more reasons now.

The thing I hate about some company controlling the interface is that they can do anything they want to you. I have had cable boxes where the ad part of the on screen guide was as large as the guide itself. When I think through this it infuriates me. I am renting a box from them to help me access content I pay for. They are not content with ads within the video itself.

I also used to have an Ultimate TV from Microsoft which was the dual tuner dvr for directv in the us. I hacked around that system alot. It was the basis for their mstv platform they tried to sell cable box makers. I was into modifying the internal windows ce components so I signed up to be a developer and look through the info. I still have the documents but what is so scary to me is the amount of information they can gather about you on these platforms. The amount of unmovable constant ads they can add if they choose.

I just don't think any of these companies can be trusted to look out for the consumers experience.

I think the best example of this are user prohibited actions on DVDs. These companies think it is ok to limit what actions I can take when watching a DVD. Not being able to skip pre-roll trailers is absolute bullshit. These are the same companies trying to control my home theater experience now. They simply can not be trusted to look out for the consumer experience if they control the player.
While I take both of your points (jmarshall and bluecop) and I agree that it isn't the ideal solution, it seems to be the only realistic, sustainable long-term option IMHO. Keep in mind that I'm not rallying for abolishing the Python plugins we currently have; I think the current Hulu plugin is vastly superior to using the actual Hulu website (or god forbid, Hulu Desktop, blegh.) And as long as someone is willing to put in the work to make sure it's working properly, it blows Boxee's Hulu implementation out of the water... but realistically, it's simply a matter of time before Hulu either completely rework their player's encryption or Adobe updates RTMPE and we have to wait until highlandsun, et al. update libRTMP to support it.

In the interim, it would be great to provide fallback browser video. Say, you go to an episode in the Hulu plugin and get a script failed message. It would be great if I could pull up the context menu and choose "Play in browser" as an option, so I can watch the content no matter what. Or, better yet, error catching so it just falls back on in-browser video if it can't open the stream for whatever reason. Also, pointing to Boxee's CPU usage isn't entirely accurate; their built-in Flash Player does not use the hardware acceleration provided by 10.1. Although right now it's Windows/OSX only, I believe davilla recently added support for the CrystalHD card to 10.1 and there are signs pointing to VDPAU soon enough. And as for Netflix, there's currently no way to watch it in Linux regardless, so I don't think it's fair to count it against the browser method, but OSX/Windows users would finally be able to enjoy it.
We finally are getting Netflix in Canada and was maybe going to try it out but out of curiousity how does everyone watch it. By reading this I cant link Netflix within XBMC (trying to make things as easy as possible for the wife) Probably have to use my Wii I guess or somehow create a shortcut from xbmc to netflix on my pc
jmarshall Wrote:Netflix requires silverlight, no? Silverlight is not open -> no go in XBMC.

I suggest you petition Netflix to not use a retarded, proprietary way to stream video when there's plenty of non-retarded, open ways to do the same thing.

Why not compromise and offer a Netflix plugin for the platforms it can work on, including Windows? "Doesn't work with Netflix" is rapidly becoming a serious black mark against any media center.
If you're on Windows, you can watch Netflix using Windows Media Center or Boxee. If you try to watch it on Boxee, beware; Netflix defaults to HD streams if your connection can handle it and Boxee's built-in Silverlight plugin doesn't support hardware acceleration. You'll need a decently beefy processor to cope with it.
Hauser Wrote:Why not compromise and offer a Netflix plugin for the platforms it can work on, including Windows? "Doesn't work with Netflix" is rapidly becoming a serious black mark against any media center.

Because a plugin (as they're currently programmed) would require Silverlight/Netflix's player to be reverse engineered. See this thread.
maruchan Wrote:Because a plugin (as they're currently programmed) would require Silverlight/Netflix's player to be reverse engineered. See this thread.
I didn't follow all the technical details, but I know the Boxee and PLEX teams were able to make it work. Is there something fundamentally different about XBMC technology that means Netflix can't work inside XBMC?
Both just use the silverlight plugin for either webkit or mozilla.

This is no-go on Linux, and (IMO) a crap solution in general - see the thread that was linked as to why.

Also, I believe this aspect of both those other apps is closed source. Neat, aye?

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Why can't Moonlight be used?
griffore Wrote:Why can't Moonlight be used?

Look about 10 posts up. Looks like it doesn't support their DRM.

Did I mention that I hate DRM?

-Wes
moviebuff Wrote:We finally are getting Netflix in Canada and was maybe going to try it out but out of curiousity how does everyone watch it. By reading this I cant link Netflix within XBMC (trying to make things as easy as possible for the wife) Probably have to use my Wii I guess or somehow create a shortcut from xbmc to netflix on my pc

I exit XBMC and open Firefox, then watch it in the browser.

Sucks. It's a real pain to do this, as I have to break out a keyboard (remember those?)

-Wes
jmarshall Wrote:This is no-go on Linux, and (IMO) a crap solution in general - see the thread that was linked as to why.
I understand, but are you saying no solution at all is preferable to a solution that works for the huge number of XBMC users who aren't on Linux?

I had a chance to play with a friend's PLEX setup last night and the Netflix integration was incredibly seamless, he could browse recommendations, resume movies from where they left off, and the HD streaming worked great. It may be inelegant under the covers, but as an end user it was basically a flawless experience, and isn't that what's really important?
That's not what I said at all. I was merely pointing out how stupid it is to require a webbrowser with proprietary plugins when all you want to do is stream video.

I have no problem with someone doing up such a solution for XBMC if that is the only way to go (indeed, even if it wasn't the only way to go I'd still have no problem with it.) I'd encourage anyone to give it a go should they have the time and inclination to do so. As always, any and all contributions to XBMC are welcome and we'll do what we can to assist.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Incidentally here's the Netflix plugin code for PLEX if anyone's interested, I'd contribute if I could but this stuff is pretty far outside my realm of experience!
  • 12(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[REQUEST] Netflix 'Watch Now' plugin, script, or native code (with metadata scraper)?0