• 9(current)
[REQUEST] Netflix 'Watch Now' plugin, script, or native code (with metadata scraper)?
Thanks natew, hope to get it working soon.

After more fiddling around got it figured out with a sys.path.append in the default.py.(No idea if this is the proper method) I now have made a call through the netflix API and am getting results back, whooo hooo!
Eloh Wrote:Thanks natew, hope to get it working soon.

After more fiddling around got it figured out with a sys.path.append in the default.py.(No idea if this is the proper method) I now have made a call through the netflix API and am getting results back, whooo hooo!

Nice! I'm glad your making progress on this. Thanks for all your hard work. Smile
I'm ready to do the beta teter for you Smile

just le me know
If you think I'm useful please use the +/- button to raise my reputation
after some light reading, i'm wondering (and excuse me if its been answered) what are the fundamental differences between xbmc and plex? as plex has a functioning plug...
Ayala Wrote:after some light reading, i'm wondering (and excuse me if its been answered) what are the fundamental differences between xbmc and plex? as plex has a functioning plug...

Plex is osx-only, and is capable of leveraging silverlight & flash in safari for plugins of this type.
mot2dk was working on doing something similar for xbmc, but as with all of us, his time is limited & work has slowed.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/
rwparris2 Wrote:Plex is osx-only, and is capable of leveraging silverlight & flash in safari for plugins of this type.
mot2dk was working on doing something similar for xbmc, but as with all of us, his time is limited & work has slowed.

Ah! thanks, i was just wondering what made it work. I totally understand time being limited Wink
Question 
I wish to apologize ahead of time if my suggestion/query may appear to be blunt, but I'm just trying to be to the point about this. I also posted this at forums.xbox-scene.com so we'll see what happens there too.

So... WHY is it that XBMC (on XBOX1) categorically "can not play any audio or video files protected/encrypted with DRM"? Is it a hardware limitation that translates directly over into a software limitation? Is it the fact that there's no open-source DRM development? And if we're limited to Netflix (+ Hulu, etc.) uPnP streaming via PlayOn's software, why is this? If it can be done with commercial software, certainly the same uPnP streaming can be accomplished by some savvy open source programming?

Another thought: I've read multiple times on posts over the years that DRM can "only" be decrypted successfully on a Windows or OS X machine. Who says? With the [confirmed?] rumors of Netflix (clearly "locked down" by DRM) coming to PS3 and Wii, isn't it obvious that it *SHOULD* be possible on XBMC (or Linux) for that matter?

I don't have the knowledge or patience [yet] for programming on the XBOX, but in my searching:

1) no one appears to have a real answer to WHY DRM can't be decrypted on there, just lots of people, either in a polite or bothered tone, saying "it cannot be done" or "do your searching!".
2) there are plenty of "netflix api"-this and "python"-that floating around, but mostly relating to Media Center "extenders" and use with the XBOX360 before it was a built-in feature -- can't these be tapped for info?
3) why isn't vmcNetFlix compatible with XBMC?
4) how come Boxee can do it?

Running XBMC on an XBOX is considered "illegal" and voids warranties and legal agreements all over the place. It made the impossible possible, and along the way, proprietary code was used successfully. What the hell are people afraid of to take a crack at live DRM decrypting streaming? I don't get it.
celticwonder Wrote:I wish to apologize ahead of time if my suggestion/query may appear to be blunt, but I'm just trying to be to the point about this. I also posted this at forums.xbox-scene.com so we'll see what happens there too.

So... WHY is it that XBMC (on XBOX1) categorically "can not play any audio or video files protected/encrypted with DRM"? Is it a hardware limitation that translates directly over into a software limitation? Is it the fact that there's no open-source DRM development? And if we're limited to Netflix (+ Hulu, etc.) uPnP streaming via PlayOn's software, why is this? If it can be done with commercial software, certainly the same uPnP streaming can be accomplished by some savvy open source programming?

Another thought: I've read multiple times on posts over the years that DRM can "only" be decrypted successfully on a Windows or OS X machine. Who says? With the [confirmed?] rumors of Netflix (clearly "locked down" by DRM) coming to PS3 and Wii, isn't it obvious that it *SHOULD* be possible on XBMC (or Linux) for that matter?

I don't have the knowledge or patience [yet] for programming on the XBOX, but in my searching:

1) no one appears to have a real answer to WHY DRM can't be decrypted on there, just lots of people, either in a polite or bothered tone, saying "it cannot be done" or "do your searching!".
2) there are plenty of "netflix api"-this and "python"-that floating around, but mostly relating to Media Center "extenders" and use with the XBOX360 before it was a built-in feature -- can't these be tapped for info?
3) why isn't vmcNetFlix compatible with XBMC?
4) how come Boxee can do it?

Running XBMC on an XBOX is considered "illegal" and voids warranties and legal agreements all over the place. It made the impossible possible, and along the way, proprietary code was used successfully. What the hell are people afraid of to take a crack at live DRM decrypting streaming? I don't get it.

Thanks to the DMCA, the cracking or the reverse engineering of any DRM system, whether it be Netflix, Hulu, DVD's, or the XBOX itself, is illegal in the U.S. (and similiar laws in many other countries). So there is a difference between writing software for a system (the XBOX) and software that defeats DRM (what you used to unlock the XBOX to allow code execution). Unless that is changed, I imagine there are not many talented people that would want to endanger their personal lives with prison time or hefty fines so you can watch Netflix on your XBOX. "DVD Jon" in Europe already set an example for that years ago (he among those responsible for your CSS decryption and the ability to watch DVD's on Linux). If you don't like it you need to lobby your local Congressman and/or support the EFF to essert your fair use rights and allow such development to occur.

Other programs that are able to use systems such as Netflix don't decode streams directly. They work because they piggy back an embeded browser on a system (OSX/Windows) that supports the DRM.

As far as support on the 360/PS3/Wii, it's because Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo are working in conjunction with the content provider to write the code and not doing so independently. They are provided this ability because of a few factors such as:
1. Paying a hefty licensing fee.
2. Have copy protection and additional restrictions built into the platform.
3. Are not open source.

IF there were someone who wanted to take the risk and reverse engineer these DRM systems, all it would take is a simple change by the owners of the content systems to make them start all over. It would be nothing more than a cat/mouse game. This would result in a feature that wouldn't be fully functional and broke most of the time. That's not the best use of resources (personally) for any project.
THANK YOU! You answered my question. Nod One of those sad but true -- that's just the way it is -- things. ...but finally here's a concise, informed answer explaining WHY that might help others understand now. Thanks again.
Can you stream netflix through XBMC?

Ive searched for the answerand found nothing but old posts from months ago.
No. A user named Eloh was working on a plugin back in October and seems to have had some success, but not much has been heard since then.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ix&page=11
Seems to me, it really might be possible to utilize a roku as an outboard processor. If you utilize the roku to decode the streams and find some method of virtualizing it's display you avoid the entire issue of DRM.

I don't know about you, but I'd be willing to spend $79 to allow XBMC to have netflix etc.

We'd need to pop root, and then forward the X display; doesn't seem that hard to me.

Or perhaps I'm an idiot.
icetre Wrote:Seems to me, it really might be possible to utilize a roku as an outboard processor. If you utilize the roku to decode the streams and find some method of virtualizing it's display you avoid the entire issue of DRM.

I don't know about you, but I'd be willing to spend $79 to allow XBMC to have netflix etc.

We'd need to pop root, and then forward the X display; doesn't seem that hard to me.

Or perhaps I'm an idiot.

There is already an easier solution in place. Setup a PlayOn server on a Windows PC and stream the decoded content. Cheaper than using Roku and without the need for all the hardware hacking.
Are there any update with this plugin?

I would really like to get netflix working on XBMC and would be willing to help develop it (mostly test as I am a PHP developer, but Python is on the to-learn list)

Thanks!
Question 
hi, i have an lg blu-ray home theatre system, and according to the manual it is running a busybox linux installation.

it has netflix streaming capability which means it is possible to do in linux (i just had to enter in some device activation code to get it to work with my account).

i wonder what the cost would be to allow this functionality in xbmc ?
have the devels ever inquired with the netflix people to see if obtaining an activation code for xbmc devices is feasible ?

thx,
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[REQUEST] Netflix 'Watch Now' plugin, script, or native code (with metadata scraper)?0