• 3(current)
[REQUEST] Netflix 'Watch Now' plugin, script, or native code (with metadata scraper)?
Rainbow 
J_K_M_A_N Wrote:Try searching. It doesn't sound like it can be done. DRM issues.

J_K_M_A_N

From what I've heard some plugins have circumvented some DRM systems so it might not be entirely impossible...probably 'an extreme headache' if it is. Still Voinage would be the man who would know what's possible, given he's the resident plugin guru.
No existing plugins circumvented real DRM, I think you are thinking about iPlayer and Veoh which only workaround formating or proxy quirks.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Thumbs Up 
http://www.roku.com/community/gpl_nfp.php

This looks like a way to build a plugin for Linux (or possibly all?) XBMC... I am not familiar enough with this code but might look through it and see what's up. Someone that is more familiar with this code could probably get something working though. Man if this does happen my Vista Media Center will be a thing of the past forever. As it stands now I am booting into the Linux partition to use XBMC but I do miss the Netflix plugin.
Thumbs Down 
JATWolf Wrote:http://www.roku.com/community/gpl_nfp.php

This looks like a way to build a plugin for Linux (or possibly all?) XBMC... I am not familiar enough with this code but might look through it and see what's up. Someone that is more familiar with this code could probably get something working though. Man if this does happen my Vista Media Center will be a thing of the past forever. As it stands now I am booting into the Linux partition to use XBMC but I do miss the Netflix plugin.
No, (I already looked into it), the released source code by Ruku does not help here at all. Ruku have only released the source code for the third-party libraries that they use and made changes to, they have not released the source code of their actual Netflix player nor any code that parses the Netflix streams, (which actually make me wondering if they are not violating the GPL license as the GPL requires you to release all the source code of a project that uses any GPL code, unless you specificly workaround that by loading the libraries via some kind of middleware, like for example an operating-system).

...not that it would help us if Ruku did release the source code for their Netflix player as the stream is still DRM (encrypted/protected) thus requireing their specific decryption-key and DRM decryption hardware-chip (in Ruku's case the NXP PNX8935 processor chip installed in the Ruku Netflix player).

DRM (Digital Rights Management) is bad, very bad, mmmmmmkay Stare
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
After posting I was researching more and did come across something that explained out the real code wasn't being opened up and how it wasn't really going to work. Too bad. I don't know what kind of DRM is in place either, I just figured it would authenticate against your Netflix account and if you are valid it would stream the content.
Could we not create a P2P to link to the xbox (XBMC)? and link all our movies to it? SOmetype of p2p server that connects everyone. And set it up as only those people who choose to dedicate a connection can log in? Id be willing to throw together a cheapy computer and load my movies on them for p2p share. along with others who would do the same only. (1) this limits the uses bandwidth and 2 only for those who contribute. My movies are HD (vidbit=1024, and audbit=256, and res= above 800xHuh). They play great. Im up to 700 movies all latest new going back. each movie is roughly 1gig. (850-1200mb). You know with the xbmc lots &lots&lots of us have our bulk of movies. We just need a central place to to put them that only those involved can join (Not everyone can see), nor can it be found searching for it. It would have to be a P2p because no one computer could hold everyones movies. It would have to stream. and only those with fast upload speeds. Not trying to limit use, but not everyone would have what it takes to make this work. Only a select group. Im willing to help, but not much of a programmer. But i do have a absolutely great collection. Basically every new release from today going back about 600 movies, and about 100 movies of some good older ones (ex, ghostbusters , back to the future, ect).

Also may i take the time to recommend DVDFaB, BEEN with them for years, and its absolutly great. http://www.dvdfab.com (works everytime) and free updates for life.
@chuckctv: I don't know why you put that in the netflix thread, but what you're talking about would likely be hard to code (at least compared to our current scripts/plugins) and would also be very illegal... it would put the blame directly on xbmc since there wouldn't really be any (or very little) legit function to having our own p2p network. How do you decide who 'those involved' are? How do you decide who has high enough bandwidth? Am I to be excluded just because I'm not willing/can't afford to pay $100 a month for even 3mb up (that's what it is in my area).
I think probably a lot of xbmc users (especially those of us in the states with relatively crappy ISPs) would fall into this area of using and even contributing to xbmc but suddenly excluded from your elite club of movie sharers with fast internet.

Or heck, maybe it's an awesome idea and I'm just way off base.

If you want to share your movies, I encourage you to upload them to veoh or one of the other video sharing sites and submit links to the likes of ninja video, quicksilverscreen, etc.
Too bad it can't work on the original Xbox. I've been using vmcNetFlix to stream Netflix "watch now" movies to my 360 and it's great.
chuckctv Wrote:Could we not create a P2P to link to the xbox (XBMC)? and link all our movies to it? SOmetype of p2p server that connects everyone. And set it up as only those people who choose to dedicate a connection can log in? Id be willing to throw together a cheapy computer and load my movies on them for p2p share. along with others who would do the same only. (1) this limits the uses bandwidth and 2 only for those who contribute. My movies are HD (vidbit=1024, and audbit=256, and res= above 800xHuh). They play great. Im up to 700 movies all latest new going back. each movie is roughly 1gig. (850-1200mb). You know with the xbmc lots &lots&lots of us have our bulk of movies. We just need a central place to to put them that only those involved can join (Not everyone can see), nor can it be found searching for it. It would have to be a P2p because no one computer could hold everyones movies. It would have to stream. and only those with fast upload speeds. Not trying to limit use, but not everyone would have what it takes to make this work. Only a select group. Im willing to help, but not much of a programmer. But i do have a absolutely great collection. Basically every new release from today going back about 600 movies, and about 100 movies of some good older ones (ex, ghostbusters , back to the future, ect).

Also may i take the time to recommend DVDFaB, BEEN with them for years, and its absolutly great. http://www.dvdfab.com (works everytime) and free updates for life.
@chuckctv, that has nothing to do with this topic-thread, feel-free to post a new topic-thread in the feature suggestions forum though.
Thumbs Up 
Maybe the python guys would be more interested, but it'd be nice to see it integrated. As of tomorrow Netfilx is opening it's API completely free.

I would love you guys forever if you made my Xbox into a Netflix set top box as part of XBMC.

http://developer.netflix.com/page

FYI link should work as of tomorrow.
die hard xbmc and xenium user.

The API is for retreiving movie and tv show information as well as the user's queue and allowing you to rate things without visiting the site. I really doubt they're going to allow you to stream media with no DRM in it... right?
Indeed - there seems to be a scarcity of real information at this point.

Having another API to hit for scraping movie/show information will be valuable though.

As, ofcourse, would being able to make recommendations of other films (tying in trailers and so on perhaps).

Cheers,
Jonathan

Unfortunately it is US only, only 5,000 requests per API key per day and has tons of other strings attached:
Quote:Netflix API
Up to 5000 queries per day
If you select this API an API key will be issued after you agree to the terms of service.
Quote:1.11 The Netflix API is made available only for the creation of Applications available to end users in the United States.
http://developer.netflix.com/apps/tos
Perhaps one of the sites we use to scrape ie meligrove/themoviedb.org could use it to scrape info and populate their site, which we can then in turn scrape from them. For example travis could scrape 5000 movies a day for related movies and suggestions. Soon the whole database would be done and then it would just be a matter of adding info to the movies created each day. It would be great if xbmc could scrape the info directly but they would EASILY exceed 5000 hits per day. I might make this suggestion at meligrove.
Yeah, I'm looking through the documentation as well, and it looks like it's just for scraping. It's unfortunate, but I'm sure there's licensing issues when it comes to streaming.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[REQUEST] Netflix 'Watch Now' plugin, script, or native code (with metadata scraper)?0